A little too ambitious???

Jasonc

I don't care if this takes you 20 years, this is awesome!!

do it do it do it

Still going at it. I hope to have an update sometime next week. Between Christmas parties, wrapping gifts, and life during the holidays, there hasn't been a lot of time. I keep pretty quiet during New Years, so I should have some time to at least finish the gun, or get close.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, gwfalcon...Sadly, no updates. I actually ended up getting the H1N1 virus, and have been out of it for the past 6 days. Being on some serious antibiotics, I think I've gotten over the worst of it, but still need some time to recover. I probably won't do anything of serious note with this till next week, as most days have been strictly sleep, eat, and hydrate.

Antibiotics? I hope you mean antivirals. Get well soon. ^_^

Yeah, that's what I meant. They seem to be working, as I got some energy back, and have my appetite back. I'll be back to it on Monday.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jasonc check this please!!

va3inst04_2.jpg

va3inst05.jpg

va3inst06.jpg

it´s this is really amazing.

http://experten.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2014/02/1100va-32-4f26.html

They do some great work. That's cool that they have the difference in the design for both models. That actually helps. Haven't had any updates as I was in the hospital for awhile with major surgery, and the recovery process has taken awhile. I'm up and about now after a couple months, and should get back into it shortly.

Thanks. It wasn't anything that a little bit of time and caution won't fix. I'm up and about now, so I'm getting back to normal. Still working on the gun piece, and thinking of how I can get certain pieces to move properly. This maybe the easiest part to work on, so I'm thinking of using those steel pins that Yamato used in their VF-1 v.2s. Those should be easy to find in hobby stores and/or online. Also bought some earth magnets for when I start putting some pieces together, just so that I have options.

• 2 years later...

I know it's a zombie, but I'm going to start work on this project again, and soon. I'm ordering the left and right leg parts I've made so far, and going to see what size pins and screws would work best for it. I'm also looking at some ratchet systems to put into it. Working on the gun as a warm up again, and I found a great book to get a bit faster at doing this.

VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3,VA-3. :D:p

^ If I didn't know any better I would think you have a serious obsession with the VA-3... :lol:

LOL :D ,Yes, I really think I've upset all MW, this valks ugly but I think only for its style and shape of transformation like the VF-9 and VF-14. the funny thing is that only Experten has bothered to make them an updated model.

I would love to see a 1/60 version made of this in all variants with a weapons set like the YF-19 so I could do a full load out with the bomb clusters.

I've already made bomb clusters designed to fit on the VF-1 pylons, so the wings of this one would have those connectors as well. I have made several different weapon sets, but I really want to make them much more detailed, so those will be updated eventually as well. The bomb clusters were first, but I've also made Paveway bombs as well.

LOL :D ,Yes, I really think I've upset all MW, this valks ugly but I think only for its style and shape of transformation like the VF-9 and VF-14. the funny thing is that only Experten has bothered to make them an updated model.

I don't think it's ugly at all. It's got a much more curvy look to it, but it has a vintage look to it based on the Intruder, which I've always been a fan of that jet. It just has a tough look to it. I've been looking for the Experten model, but to no avail. I do have the Studio Half Eye version, which this is somewhat based on. The idea though, is that since this would be larger, I can incorporate ratchets and hinges. I guess right now, I'm just designing as a larger scale Half Eye model, but as I engineer better parts for locking and movement, those pieces will be redesigned to incorporate those outside parts. I have one VF-1 unassembled kit that is in pieces, so I will see what some of those hinges and bars in that can add to it. I'm sure I'll be incorporating some metal parts.

I've also been thinking of the recast process. this will have to be done in TASC resin. there's one with similar properties to ABS plastic, and for the most part, it's got the integrity of it. Color casting it might change the integrity a little, but should be negligible. All in due time (fingers crossed). In working on the gun, I may find some gimmicks to make this work very nicely in all modes and do what it needs to do. It's a good warm up. It's a slow restart, since I have another project I'm already doing, but in between that, Delta, and my regular duties, it's alive.

I on the other hand love the VA-3, it is unique anongst valks and i love the shape. I guess i need to start saving based on the estimated prices so far.

It's going to need a high performance resin to use for transformations, which will factor in the cost a little, but mostly it's in the needing to order parts and needing to reorder them as I continually tweak them. Not fun, but if I can get these parts down with little refinement (AKA, they're done right early) then the cost can be lower.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I've been brushing up on my software, and I'm really starting to get up to speed, as well as learning some of the more complicated tasks that will allow some better engineering. I'm getting quite excited again about this project, thanks to discussions with Tage on his project with the VF-5000. The pre-work I do now will pay off for this soon.

OK, so I've been brushing up on my software, and I'm really starting to get up to speed, as well as learning some of the more complicated tasks that will allow some better engineering. I'm getting quite excited again about this project, thanks to discussions with Tage on his project with the VF-5000. The pre-work I do now will pay off for this soon.

Definitely; the more you do now, the (hopefully) lesser headaches that should pop up later on. Anytime someone makes a transforming mech, there's always stuff that comes up; but so for, you've got this planning done in spades, and the quality shows!

Looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

Definitely; the more you do now, the (hopefully) lesser headaches that should pop up later on. Anytime someone makes a transforming mech, there's always stuff that comes up; but so for, you've got this planning done in spades, and the quality shows!

Looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I try to plan way ahead. I'm also hoping that by the time I do get back to the project, I'll be fast enough to turn over designing parts at a faster pace. I was basically learning on a few basic items I made, but this one is where I really "cut my teeth" on the real design. I learned a lot, but there's more efficient ways to do this, and I need to be able to do some things without guessing or hoping it comes out right. Some of these prototype parts may end up being made from Shapeways' highest resolution 3D printer (less cleanup and better definition). I made small tweaks to the leg parts, and I'm going to order those parts today when I get home from work. I hope they come out satisfactory, so I can start tweaking smaller things and get onto the exterior of the machine.

• 2 months later...

Thanks. Yeah, I try to plan way ahead. I'm also hoping that by the time I do get back to the project, I'll be fast enough to turn over designing parts at a faster pace. I was basically learning on a few basic items I made, but this one is where I really "cut my teeth" on the real design. I learned a lot, but there's more efficient ways to do this, and I need to be able to do some things without guessing or hoping it comes out right. Some of these prototype parts may end up being made from Shapeways' highest resolution 3D printer (less cleanup and better definition). I made small tweaks to the leg parts, and I'm going to order those parts today when I get home from work. I hope they come out satisfactory, so I can start tweaking smaller things and get onto the exterior of the machine.

Hi Jason,

I'm a mechanical engineer who works with injection molded parts. If there is enough demand, may I suggest trying proto-mold? 3D printing is a great technology, but as soon as you hit 10+ samples doing a low-run an aluminum mold or RIM mold might be more efficient (not to mention a heck of a lot stronger!!!!)

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions: this is an awesome project and I'd love to help in any way I can!

Well now THERES an offer of help that you cant ignore!

So, you're talking about taking that 3D design he comes up with and passing it through a CNC to mill out an Ali Injection Mold to get a sprue like a Hasegawa kit?

Now THAT would be next level Jason!

Edited by NZEOD

Well no THERES an offer of help that you cant ignore!

So, you're talking about taking that 3D design he comes up with and passing it through a CNC to mill out an Ali Injection Mold to get a sprue like a Hasegawa kit?

Now THAT would be next level Jason!

Hi Jason,

I'm a mechanical engineer who works with injection molded parts. If there is enough demand, may I suggest trying proto-mold? 3D printing is a great technology, but as soon as you hit 10+ samples doing a low-run an aluminum mold or RIM mold might be more efficient (not to mention a heck of a lot stronger!!!!)

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions: this is an awesome project and I'd love to help in any way I can!

:shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: