A little too ambitious???

Jasonc

OK, this is probably going to be my most ambitious project I've ever done. But I'm going to attempt to make a tranformable 1/60 VA-3 Invader. Some of you know that I have the S.H.E transformable kit of the VA-3, and know that it is in 1/100 scale. With a list of parts, good caliper, calculator, protractor, and all the other design and drafting materieals, I've begun drafting this in SolidWorks. With a total of 6 parts done so far, I obviously have a lot to go. I thought I'd start this thread to post updates as they are made, and get the community of CAD designers to help in areas I may have questions about. Ambitious, hell yes, but I plan to move at a slow, steady pace to get this done. Comments always welcome. So with that, I present my first screenshot of some leg pieces.

P.S. I have no info, nor any intentions of creating this kit,,,,,yet. My goal now, is to get it to look aesthetically pleasing once designed, be able to transform, and improve on the points of articulation from the original kit. But, since I'm sure you guys really want to know a price range, the amount of printed parts and the size is probably going to make this kit somewhere in the range of AT LEAST $400, probably more though. Anyways, off to the design! These are the horizontal tail fins and part of the interior of the legs.

post-582-0-15312800-1324427858_thumb.jpg

Good luck, Jason! :)

Thanks, I think I have my fingers crossed on this myself. The real help is the many pieces, which make redesigning the pieces a lot easier.

I won't buy one, but I can't wait to watch it happen! Go for it!!

(null)

No problem. I don't expect anybody to buy one, so this i mainly for myself. I know there are a couple who maybe interested, but I wouldn't blame them if they can't afford, or decide not to get one. I'm thinning the parts out to save some money, but I have no clue how pricey the print out of it will be.

Cant wait to see how this comes out, keep us posted. Deculture!

Thanks! I'll be keeping up with it here, as well as screen shots of the work. I'm hoping I get two pieces done tomorrow, which really equates to 4. I'm basically building the model, but on a screen, so as the pics come along, people here can see, and let me know if something needs to be fixed.

It's great to hear about this great project, I'll follow this thread, and good luck on the work!

Thank you. As stated, I hope to have some pics, or at least one pic up at least every other day. It maybe a stretch, but doable.

Despite it being pricey, you could release the parts a few at a time through a Shapeways store. Doesn't cost you anything, and it would allow interested parties to buy it a bit at a time to offset the cost. You'll still have to prototype the parts you've designed and make sure they fit etc but that's part of the joy of being the guy who designs the thing ;)

This is interesting/cool. I understand why it would be that pricey however I'm not sure I could go for it for something like the VA-3. That's a lot of money for something that isn't very high up on my want list. I'd like to see the finished product when you're done though.

It's not too ambitious at all!!! Not even the sky is our limit, so go for it!!

Looking at your other projects I have no doubt it will turn out great ;)

You're giving me strength to finish my 1/48 Inbit Igaa that is currently on hiatus.

Despite it being pricey, you could release the parts a few at a time through a Shapeways store. Doesn't cost you anything, and it would allow interested parties to buy it a bit at a time to offset the cost. You'll still have to prototype the parts you've designed and make sure they fit etc but that's part of the joy of being the guy who designs the thing ;)

I have thought of that as an option. Since the kit is buit with 4 or 5 sections, I think that would be a good start to it. Set#1, the legs, #2, arms, #3 body, #4 head and detailed stuff. I do have a shapeways account, but I'd probably have people order from me directly, as I think I'm going to recast these in color. Minimal painting would be the most ideal for a kit of this size, plus there's also a lot of hardware.

This is interesting/cool. I understand why it would be that pricey however I'm not sure I could go for it for something like the VA-3. That's a lot of money for something that isn't very high up on my want list. I'd like to see the finished product when you're done though.

Yeah, I totally understand. Like I said, I'm not expecting very many to want the VA-3. I love it, simply because it's got a vintage look to it, and it's just very different from the very "spacy/ultra sci-fi" looking stuff that Macross valks are evolving into. This could be the one in my collection that when unknowing people walk into the display room, they ask what it is, just based on the shape. Out of all the valkyries, this one looks like an undersea fighter, and those are some of the reasons why I'm doing this. Of course, if Yamato made one, I wouldn't have the need to do this.

It's not too ambitious at all!!! Not even the sky is our limit, so go for it!!

Looking at your other projects I have no doubt it will turn out great ;)

You're giving me strength to finish my 1/48 Inbit Igaa that is currently on hiatus.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. There's still some things I'm trying to learn on this program. The parts I've done so far aren't too complex, but that's not to say that it only gets easier from here. Along with the design, I've got to think about materials. I may have some of these materials made in a diecast sort of way, for durabilty of high moving areas, and for a little more realism. There's so much to think about in this project, but I'm having fun doing it, so I can't complain. I'd love to see the finished 1/48 Inbit you're doing. I've been wanting to see that for sometime. I hope you do get it done. That'll probably keep me going as well. It's amazing the talents people have here. I feel like the noob just learning how to color inside the lines sometimes.

I remember that we talked about this a few years ago. I can't wait to see what you come up with. There are always little things you can do to offset your costs on the printing though. I try to hollow out some of my parts to reduce the overall volume and then I fill them in when I go to cast them.

I remember that we talked about this a few years ago. I can't wait to see what you come up with. There are always little things you can do to offset your costs on the printing though. I try to hollow out some of my parts to reduce the overall volume and then I fill them in when I go to cast them.

Thanks. I've been trying to hollow out the pieces as much as possible, save for parts that are just thin already. I'm trying to keep a 1mm-1.5mm thickness, as I've found that to be a generous thickness. Once I'm done with the legs, I'm going to order those, and test fit them. That will probably be in about 2-3 weeks time.

A very brave move, I have to admit!

May I ask a few questions?

Are you planning to use metal parts for joints? What I think is you can use some cheaper TF products, dismember them and use their joints instead.

Also are you experienced in plastic tolerances? I guess plastic tolerance is playing a huge role in transforming toys.

A very brave move, I have to admit!

May I ask a few questions?

Are you planning to use metal parts for joints? What I think is you can use some cheaper TF products, dismember them and use their joints instead.

Also are you experienced in plastic tolerances? I guess plastic tolerance is playing a huge role in transforming toys.

I don't want this to be just a copy of the S,H.E. kit, so I am going to be looking for places to make the kit more poseable. For the parts I need to redesign, I do plan to use metal for the parts that will benefit from it. Due to the weight of resin, and knowing how these kits get a little loose over time, I plan to look for ratcheted joints, springs, and whatnot, to keep the kit tight. As for your other question, my only experience in plastic tolerances, is my own use of them in scratch builds, and some basic knowledge in grown, or 3D printed material reports online. Aside from that, I do have a degree in Electrical engineering, which came with almost a minor in mechanical engineering. I'm not a guru when it comes to materials and design, but I know what will work, and what won't. I also have the ability for trial and error, and when it's done, it's going to be to my specs, which for a fan project, should be pretty high.

Hey if you ever feel like making a 1/48 Bioroid, I have this kit, maybe make it better and pose able?

I actually have that kit. It's a nice kit, but sadly, it's not the greatest looking kit, and my interest in Southern Cross has waned down to really only wanting a hovertank, and the "space helicopter", of which I doubt we'll ever see.

On an update here, I've only managed to create the hinges that connect the lower leg and feet to the mid leg section. They are the two joint pieces in the front of the design. From the look of this, this section would be a great place to reinforce the area with ratchets and springs. Once it's all sized up, I will alter it so that this area will work more like a toy, than a kit.

post-582-0-34199800-1324605283_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all my Macross brethren. I was working on this a bit today, and today's update is the leg locking mechanism. For those that have the S.H.E. kit, it's not made nearly as well as this, and is prone to getting loose over time. This redesign fixes the issue, and makes it to where it will hold its position in fighter mode. The first two show the way in which the connector piece is fitted into the slots. The third picture shows the connector piece itself, I added a stopper on the back of it, that will make guiding the pin into the other leg, and a small lid to give it some ease when lifting it up. Anyways. Enjoy, and while I'll be on for the next few days, I probably won't have an update till probably Tuesday. Thanks for viewing.

post-582-0-42543100-1324806529_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-15835300-1324806542_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-61353400-1324806555_thumb.jpg

Back of the knee outside plate done. This part connects the upper and lower leg together, and sandwiches together in fighter. I will (again) probably redesign the joint pieces to either be made in metal, but I am most likely going to make them into ratcheted joints. For that, I am thinking of the old jetfire ratcheded joints that were in the legs and arms of those toys. They locked in place very well, and were designed for younger kids to play the hell out of them. That said, this kit most likely is going to be made of TASC resin, which is much stronger than the basic resin, metal for the pieces that have high friction and/or need the support, lots of screws to hold in place, springs for friction adding, and the same type of steel pins that are used in the Yamato Valks. The pins will probably be used for things like the cockpit to open and close, as well as smaller moving parts that need a straight guide, such as the tail fins perhaps. Also, I'm going to look into the Wave joints, and see if I can use those in the construction of the feet, for some posable issues that would benefit from them. Anyone's ideas and suggestions are welcome, if you have an idea that would work well. My goal is to make this like the Yamato unassembled Valkyrie kits, except having the majority molded in correct color. Anyways, I just have a couple pieces left of the upper leg that make the inner part, then it's feet and cosmetic parts.

post-582-0-91445000-1325300377_thumb.jpg

Wow... ambitious is right. Best of luck to you. The VA-3 is actually one of my favourite designs, for a lot of the same reasons... it's just so different from the rest of the VF designs. I thought the VA-3M improved on the original design just enough to make it really shine as something different (especially the marine and submarine modes). If memory serves, the SHE kit was based on the original design art prior to VF-X2's release, correct?

This is getting more and more interesting! What does that original SHE Kit you mentioned this is based off of look like?

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/she/she_va3.htm That's the location here, that has pics of the box, the instructions, and just about everything inside the box.

Wow... ambitious is right. Best of luck to you. The VA-3 is actually one of my favourite designs, for a lot of the same reasons... it's just so different from the rest of the VF designs. I thought the VA-3M improved on the original design just enough to make it really shine as something different (especially the marine and submarine modes). If memory serves, the SHE kit was based on the original design art prior to VF-X2's release, correct?

I believe you're right. The outside of the box only mentions VA-3, and no other variant of that. However, the pic on top of the box shows it under water in one of the pics. I'm sure they intended it to be an underwater efficient model, but I do agree, the M variant is a much nicer look. If I am able to get that far, I will try for that once this comes together.

At the moment, I'm attempting to model the upper leg exterior piece. It's probably the most complicated piece so far, as it has a lot of arc, and curvature. Not fun, but it's slowly coming along. I also noticed during this part, that a connector joint was turned the wrong way (easy fix). If I finish this part in 2 days, I think it'd be a miracle. I'm also trying some new processes that will allow a smoother curve that what I've been doing before. Hope to have some pics up soon.

I'm just catching up with this, but remember, nothing is too ambitious! Even if it takes you six years to complete! Looking great so far. I'm thinking of doing some 3D drawing myself like this. You're doing it right. It's great to be able to make your virtual parts and check their fit, versus my method of making it, screwing up, and making it again until it fits right :D Keep it up! - MT

I'm just catching up with this, but remember, nothing is too ambitious! Even if it takes you six years to complete! Looking great so far. I'm thinking of doing some 3D drawing myself like this. You're doing it right. It's great to be able to make your virtual parts and check their fit, versus my method of making it, screwing up, and making it again until it fits right :D Keep it up! - MT

Thanks!!! I used to make stuff from styrene and other materials, and still do to some extent when need to. With this method, you can still make stuff that seems right, but doesn't work the way it needs to. The good thing though, is the ability to look at the part, and make changes after it's virtually built. I will admit, some of these pieces are kicking my ass, just cause I'm not a pro by any means. I'm glad math is a strong suit, or I probably wouldn't be doing this.

I believe you're right. The outside of the box only mentions VA-3, and no other variant of that. However, the pic on top of the box shows it under water in one of the pics. I'm sure they intended it to be an underwater efficient model, but I do agree, the M variant is a much nicer look. If I am able to get that far, I will try for that once this comes together.

If you do manage that and decide to produce this, I'd be very interested, even at $400+. A VA-3M in scale with all my Yamatos would be too sweet to pass up.

If you do manage that and decide to produce this, I'd be very interested, even at $400+. A VA-3M in scale with all my Yamatos would be too sweet to pass up.

I wish it was only going to be about $400. Based on the hours spent, materials needed, hardware, it's going to be around $500+. That said, there's lots and lots of time before anything is done with this, so when/if time gets close to completion, I'll probably put up an inerest thread for it. Just to give you an idea, I've been working on one part literally all day, just one part, only to realize that the core section was designed wrong to begin with. So I'm starting over with it, and it should be done hopefully tomorrow. Thank God for the mirror function. I only have to do one part at time.

Got a little stuck on this one part still, as there are a lot of curves that lead to sharp angles, unsteady grades, etc. It's definitely taking time to get this part right, and since it's a piece that needs to connect almost flawlessly to the lower outside portions, well, there's a lot more going on with it than just a simple design. Tommorow, I'll take a pic of the S.H.E. kit piece, and the step I'm at with said piece. I wish I had more time over the weekend to work on it, but it was party time for most of the weekend (can't complain about that).

Work hard and think big.

Once complete sell the digital file and a second 3D prototype to Yamato or Bandai.

I know this is a labor of love but that it could be a production/marketing success.

You have the satisfaction of the design, did all the work for the companies, and others can buy them without you having licensing worries.

Work hard and think big.

Once complete sell the digital file and a second 3D prototype to Yamato or Bandai.

I know this is a labor of love but that it could be a production/marketing success.

You have the satisfaction of the design, did all the work for the companies, and others can buy them without you having licensing worries.

Yeah, that'd be cool to get Yamato to buy the design. They'd probably have to redesign some of the parts, as they have better materials to use, and better engineering, but the base of what I might be able to do here is a lot.

Step 2: ???

Have the VA-3 so impressive that Graham is willing to help set-up the meeting.

I hate web-based exclusives but even that would have a more reduced cost to the consumer compared to a limited run 3D printing with all the hand finishing involved.

A garage kit license could be bought for a convention but that would require Jason to have an initial outlay of capital.

Having a finished prototype and going to Yamato, the worst thing is the cost of a plane ticket to Japan.

This is not that far fetched an idea.