Hasegawa battroid kits

Adventure

I can't help but notice in most of the pictures of the finished product, the legs are always spread quite wide... is it because otherwise it couldn't support the weight?

I don't know about you, but it seems quite unnatural... so this is a question to those who own the kits: is it that bad? Is it possible to make it pose more 'naturally'?

I'm thinking of getting these kits one of these days...

Thanks!

The legs are pretty well articulated. They do not have to be spread so far apart. I am a big fan of these kits. I finished one that was on the old MW boards. There is also a good review of this kit on modelersite.com (this is a website that one of the MW members contributes to). Does anyone have the link to that article?

The legs are pretty well articulated. They do not have to be spread so far apart. I am a big fan of these kits. I finished one that was on the old MW boards. There is also a good review of this kit on modelersite.com (this is a website that one of the MW members contributes to). Does anyone have the link to that article?

Here I am LTSO!!

There is no way to go directly to my article. You must first enter modelersite and the click on the Sci-fi and ships tag:

Modelersite link

The legs are really poseable but the hip joint is fragile. Some of the poses shown in the article were obtained with the joint broken!! I fixed it later but is still fragile. The new hip joints in the super and strike are really better and more resistant.

From the pictures I'm still not convinced that the legs can come closer... maybe it's just me, or maybe they are in actual fact, supposed to be wide. I guess I'll just have to wait and see (I'll probably get one, one of these days).

A fine model BTW - good job!

Just a quick question about coloring... usually when you have a clear part and you're supposed to either paint it clear green or clear orange... do those paint (the clear ones) go on easily on the transparent parts? Like do you need to put multiple layers or something? I am finishing up my Patlabor model and it has a green eye thingie, and I have these clear green paint, I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is to color...

Thanks!

From the pictures I'm still not convinced that the legs can come closer... maybe it's just me, or maybe they are in actual fact, supposed to be wide. I guess I'll just have to wait and see (I'll probably get one, one of these days).

A fine model BTW - good job!

Just a quick question about coloring... usually when you have a clear part and you're supposed to either paint it clear green or clear orange... do those paint (the clear ones) go on easily on the transparent parts? Like do you need to put multiple layers or something? I am finishing up my Patlabor model and it has a green eye thingie, and I have these clear green paint, I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is to color...

Thanks!

I think the legs can be positioned straight but, please: Don't ask me to pose it again!! After the photo session I had to touch up a lot of spots (as someone said in other thread --1/48 plastic model VF-1-- models are not for transforming or posing. ;)

Thanks for your comments!!

I've used Gunze's acrylic clear colors and yes, I had to apply (hand brush) a couple of layers to cover the surface! I painted the inside of the transparent parts only.

interesting... only the inside? why is that? does it look more realistic when the clear colors are applied only on the inside? I think you were the one who put reflective material inside the clear parts too... is that right?

It looks more realistic IMHO. Also if the the transparent plastic is not flat (as the in the case of the Hasde Valk search and landing lights) there are some refraction effects that enhance the depth effect when the plastic is painted just on the inside. By the other side I use to paint navigation lights on the outside (they are ussually very small) Also all the possible paint deffects are hiden when painting this in this way.

Yes I put a silver sticker inside the valk search lights. The effect is very realistic. I cut the reflector from a Bandai sticker sheet (from a 1/144 VF-11 MAXL) Those stickers look terrible when applied on a model but since they are mirror like they are useful as reflective surfaces B)