It may also be my decal softener. It's a fairly new bottle of Mr. Hobby Mark Softer. It only occurs to me way afterward that I did not see the "Wrinkle" effect as I applied it onto the decal but I did last time I used it on another model. Strange, could they go bad on you. It's only been a couple months.

Edited by Wiz13688

Got my GX-64 from Amazon today. For those of you that's worried that you're going to get it with the Argo name. You can put your mind at ease. It's just the Japanese product/package with a Star Blazer 2199 label tape to the right side of the box where it had:

宇宙戦艦 2199

ヤマト

I'm going to see if I can remove it without damaging the box but it's no big deal. The lower left of the box still say:

GX-64 Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Just got home and still have not open the box but will put a few pics up later.

Edited by Wiz13688

It may also be my decal softener. It's a fairly new bottle of Mr. Hobby Mark Softer. It only occurs to me way afterward that I did not see the "Wrinkle" effect as I applied it onto the decal but I did last time I used it on another model. Strange, could they go bad on you. It's only been a couple months.

Given the known history of how terrible the decals were on the 1/72 VF-25 kits, I doubt it's anything you did. Bandai's decals are just very prone to not working with common methods. Your best bet is probably to look through the old (and I do mean old) topics about the VF-25 kits for tips on how to make Bandai's decals work.

Edited by Chronocidal

Got my GX-64 from Amazon today. For those of you that's worried that you're going to get it with the Argo name. You can put your mind at ease. It's just the Japanese product/package with a Star Blazer 2199 label tape to the right side of the box where it had:

宇宙戦艦 2199

ヤマト

I'm going to see if I can remove it without damaging the box but it's no big deal. The lower left of the box still say:

GX-64 Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Just got home and still have not open the box but will put a few pics up later.

Lemme know what you think of the '64. Your impressions of it may or may not convince me to sell mine that's still en route to me...

Lemme know what you think of the '64. Your impressions of it may or may not convince me to sell mine that's still en route to me...

Is there any details you want me to check and maybe take pictures of? What would help you make up your mind?

I have not used the VF-25 decals yet, but I had no problems with Mr. Mark Softer and the decals of Bandai's Yukikaze kits.

OK. I'll get another bottle and try it on the second one. At least the local hobby shop seems to have quite a few bottles in stock last week.

Got my GX-64 from Amazon yesterday. I think it's a very worthy upgrade, though I never had the first Chogokin one…I only had the Soul of Popynica version.

I love the weight of it. I love the dark, blueish-grey hue of the upper section of the ship. Everything is painted and looks very sharp, unlike the GX-57 which looked kind of like cheap raw plastic to me in pictures I've seen of it. I don't miss the panel lining or weathering. I think at this scale it doesn't really work and this looks like a factory-fresh version of the ship.

A lot of people have commented on how tiny the wave motion gun seems, and it is definitely smaller than before. That's partly exaggerated by the more delicate and narrow bow of the ship overall. However, if you look at the Yamato in the wave motion gun firing forced 3/4 perspective view, everything looks correct. I think the way the ship is shaped and curved now makes it feel more elegant.

This thing is FRAGILE. On the Popynica version a lot of the long, narrow spiky bits were separate pieces that you plugged in so, if you knocked into one, it would fall out. Not so here: everything comes pre-attached except for the shock cannons, the anchors and the catapults for the fighters. Be careful when opening the plastic case that the anchors come in. They are very light and tiny and one went flying across the room when I opened the container and I had to carefully hunt for it.

The lights/electronics are great. The multi-colored wave motion sequence is awesome and the bridge and engines also look nice. Once nice feature is that you can start playing one of the 5 musical tracks, and then you can overlay the wave motion sequence on top of the music. The only thing they overlooked is a light in the hanger, which would have highlighted all of the nice detail they put in there. Is the hanger "wheel" supposed to be able to turn? Mine seems stuck in one position.

That's my 2 cents.

Is there any details you want me to check and maybe take pictures of? What would help you make up your mind?

OK. I'll get another bottle and try it on the second one. At least the local hobby shop seems to have quite a few bottles in stock last week.

Just what you like and don't about it. I sort of feel "obligated" to keep the '64 because I don't have any of the other Yamato toys, but this thing is still about $300 or so, and at that price it better be impressive. It seems that early buyers of the '64 are just "meh" about it...

I reviewed the Megahouse Okita figure. Seriously hope this isn't the only one released. :)

Great video, man. I was certain that you were going to break him when you were trying to pull off his right arm, lol.

In other news, I finally got and unboxed my GX-64. I love the sculpt, color, detail and the sound effects. I don't like how you have to physically turn the ship "on" after two minutes of inactivity, but oh well. Another thing that worries me about this piece is how fragile it is; this is NOT something you're going to be whooshing around in your mom's basement. Many people are griping about the styling of the wave gun/bow end, but the narrowed look makes it loyal to the '2199 reboot, and now the Yamato truly looks like it was a sea-faring battleship at one point in history. I really like the piece, and I'm curious how it stacks up to the classic GX-57, but I find myslef asking, "did I really just pay almost $300 for this?" Now I remember why I got out of toy collecting. Ah well; at least I finally have a solid Space Cruiser Yamato toy (display piece)...

Edited by myk

Great video, man. I was certain that you were going to break him when you were trying to pull off his right arm, lol.

In other news, I finally got and unboxed my GX-64. I love the sculpt, color, detail and the sound effects. I don't like how you have to physically turn the ship "on" after two minutes of inactivity, but oh well. Another thing that worries me about this piece is how fragile it is; this is NOT something you're going to be whooshing around in your mom's basement. Many people are griping about the styling of the wave gun/bow end, but the narrowed look makes it loyal to the '2199 reboot, and now the Yamato truly looks like it was a sea-faring battleship at one point in history. I really like the piece, and I'm curious how it stacks up to the classic GX-57, but I find myslef asking, "did I really just pay almost $300 for this?" Now I remember why I got out of toy collecting. Ah well; at least I finally have a solid Space Cruiser Yamato toy (display piece)...

Do not worry, you have chosen...wisely. B))

They can gripe about the wave motion gun/bow all they like, but the reality is, is that it used the CGI from the anime just like the Bandai models. I have compared it to my bandai 1/500 and 1/1000 and the sculpt is spot on. The GX-64's sculpt is 100% anime accurate.

As for the GX-57, I have it, and the GX-64 makes it look VERY, VERY toyish.

In my opinion, it is more of a prebuilt model, with lights and sounds, and has the 1/1000's fighter bay gimmick built in. (Only difference is, you can't remove it, but hey...)

Yes, it would have been nice to have the fighter bay lit up, but let's face reality, that most likely would have raised the costs to the point where most wouldn't have bothered with it. The problem is, is that we've already had two Yamato's within the last 7 years or so, the reissue BPX-01, and then the GX-57 in 2010. And now, in 2014, this GX-64.

That's really pushing it, but I'm sure Bandai was also aware of it and wouldn't have done it at all, if not for the popularity of the 2199 series.

Do not worry, you have chosen...wisely. B))

They can gripe about the wave motion gun/bow all they like, but the reality is, is that it used the CGI from the anime just like the Bandai models. I have compared it to my bandai 1/500 and 1/1000 and the sculpt is spot on. The GX-64's sculpt is 100% anime accurate.

As for the GX-57, I have it, and the GX-64 makes it look VERY, VERY toyish.

In my opinion, it is more of a prebuilt model, with lights and sounds, and has the 1/1000's fighter bay gimmick built in. (Only difference is, you can't remove it, but hey...)

Yes, it would have been nice to have the fighter bay lit up, but let's face reality, that most likely would have raised the costs to the point where most wouldn't have bothered with it. The problem is, is that we've already had two Yamato's within the last 7 years or so, the reissue BPX-01, and then the GX-57 in 2010. And now, in 2014, this GX-64.

That's really pushing it, but I'm sure Bandai was also aware of it and wouldn't have done it at all, if not for the popularity of the 2199 series.

Wow really? I had forgotten that this '2199 version was supposed to be that accurate in design. In that case, I'm relieved that I never bothered with the previous versions of the Yamato. As for the light-up hangar bay, I'm sure a little bit of customizing, that's not too far out of some enthusiast's skills, will take care of that lacking feature. I just might have to keep this ship after all...

Some comparison pics between the 57 and 64. I can see some things I like more on the 64, but since I have the 57 and the Andromeda already, I'm not switching...

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/bunbun660124/GALLERY/show_image.html?id=33997052&no=2

What if someone gave you the choice of one or the other, with no cost to you if you picked the '64?

I have both. The 64 wins hands down. The only thing I like more on the 57 is that it doesn't have the turn wheel for the cannons. I prefer being able to turn the turrets independently.

Chris

Sorry to come back so late. Was really busy last week and I want to compare it to the BPX-01 so I have to dig that out of storage so I can have them side by side. (my BPX-01 is still in the box). I have not put either one together and I'm not planning to until I get a couple of display cases but here's my impression after powering it up to make sure everything works.

BPX-01

Pros:

Tons of gimmicks. A bunch of internal details, rotating AA guns, Lighted Hangar bay, Cosmo Zero launch bay, etc

Cons:

More of a toy than a model, some of the covers for the internal details does not fit well. The Spring loaded wings leave a fairly large open gap in the hull when closed.

GX-57

Did not buy it since I felt that it traded a lot of details for more sound effect and a remote (at least they came up with a better solution for the wings). Not really worth an upgrade from the BPX-01 for me though.

GX-64

Definitely not toy like. Everything is much more to scale (which makes for a lot of delicate pieces) but I agree that it looks a lot more like a well finished model. It's more something you want to put in a display case than wooshing around the house with ;-P. A worthy upgrade from the BPX-01. The only thing I don't like is the rotating hangar wheel which is not accurate since the varies fighter shelves (for lack of a better word) is fixed and will not remain level as you rotate the launch wheel. I would rather have a non-rotating wheel but have the shelves at the proper angle.

Edited by Wiz13688

What if someone gave you the choice of one or the other, with no cost to you if you picked the '64?

LOL, the 64. Some of the details like the guns are better defined (all the guns especially the AA on the sides of the bridge). I'm fine with the 57 though, I can't justify upgrading.

I really like the sculpt, the look of the '64. I know others who feel the polar opposite, so in the end it's just a matter of preference. I'm sure that owners of previous versions would be able to sell them very easily...

That's the quandary I find myself in as well; I have a BPX-01 and find it hard to fork over 1.5X+ more for a new toy that is nothing but a fancier "retread" of something I already own.

I don't have that problem. The BPX-01 is a symbol of the original series. The GX-64 is a symbol for 2199. Unless you felt that the 2199 series is also a retread.

Megahouse's 2199 Girls and Guys PVC figures are 1/8, Bandai's AU-09 model kit is to be 1/12, so I'd say... not even close to the same scale. However, Analyzer will look right at home with Figmas; there's an idea for Max Factory: 2199 Figmas...

Edited by mechaninac

Will Analyzer be in scale with the Megahouse Yamato Girls/Guy Collection?

As i said, AU-09/Analyzer is scaled at 1/12, Yamato Girls/Guys are 1/8.

The only figures i know that are in the same scale are the F series figures, but only 2 have come out, Yuki and Akira. (images below)

The Banpresto best lottery prize figures are 7" high which makes them slightly bigger than 1/12.

84530.JPG

84531.JPG

Edited by westfall

alright so I got a question, probably stupid but ya never know. I'm looking to buy the 1/500 but I'm really damn confused. I'm finding two different variations, 1 was made back in 2010 yet features a very modern look to it, the other was just released back in December with a more classical look but everything says it's a 1/500 scale. So which one is the newer or better variation? Hell there's even a price difference and it ranges to being about 30 dollars more for the 2013 and it seems the 2010 is more in stock than the 2013 variant and I don't exactly understand why.

So if you guys can help me sort out this mess and get me to pick the better one, I'd appreciate it.

Both are the 2199 Yamato, the older in is actually wrongly sized for 1/500 the new one is correct and a bigger model.

Only build the old one twice, still a nice model.

wrongly sized huh? 30 dollar hike up says that's a hell of a scale error. Thanks for the help, Probably best to pay for the higher price for the correct scale.

Oh cool! While the cheaper one wasn't available on prime or anything I found another one with a little more searching and it'll come on tuesday and still be cheaper than what my local hobby shop asked for. Is it just me or do a lot of retailers hate amazon now?

I just hope that this is the correct scale version. Details on the description seem to point that out and not too mention it also states it can use the Bandai LED light kits. But doesn't Bandai only have Green and Red? I don't recall ever seeing a Yellow or Blue for the engine and wave motion cannon.

Edited by Hikuro

Yeah it is kind of strange. As crazy dude said the 2010 kit was made using the 2199 Yamato but was done long before the series came out. It used the original Yamato's size (the1/500 scale is correct for Yamato's original length) and the original Yamato's fighters but before they knew that the ship was now larger and had new fighters. It also doesn't have the 2199 label on the box. So the 2010 kit would actually be around 1/624 for the 2199 Yamato. The new kit is officially boxed under the 2199 label and is correctly sized at 1/500 for Yamato's new length of 333m and has the 2199 fighters and support craft. It is a much more detailed model than the 2010 kit, which isn't too bad either.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Yeah it is kind of strange. As crazy dude said the 2010 kit was made using the 2199 Yamato but was done long before the series came out. It used the original Yamato's size (the1/500 scale is correct for Yamato's original length) and the original Yamato's fighters but before they knew that the ship was now larger and had new fighters. It also doesn't have the 2199 label on the box. So the 2010 kit would actually be around 1/624 for the 2199 Yamato. The new kit is officially boxed under the 2199 label and is correctly sized at 1/500 for Yamato's new length of 333m and has the 2199 fighters and support craft. It is a much more detailed model than the 2010 kit, which isn't too bad either.

Chris

Which is why I'm hoping I just bought the right one. I'll find out tuesday if it's got the box art of the yamato in outer space it's wrong, if it's yamato and the cosmo fighters around it around a cloudy enviorment, it's the right.

I saw Madman Lighting has a LED kit available, but it was designed for the 1/700 but the description said it's for the "larger" yamato kits as well. However I don't like the main and secondary bridge lighting being White and not green.

I'm surprised that the Box art for the upcoming Haizeraad class Astro Battleship/Garmilla Warship set 4 hasn't been revealed yet. It should be out in a month. usually Box art is revealed by now.

Chris