Macross The First inspired VF-1A

Kelsain

I had dropped a mention of this project back in the thread about MtF. I finally decided on a paint scheme for my languishing Hasegawa VF-1A.

I really like the new treatment of Hikaru's VF-1J in MtF, and I thought it would look cool on a cannon fodder brownie. Now, I've been informed that the brownies in the manga look the same as they did in the anime - but who cares?! I worked up a sketch of how it would look.

1st_brownie_side.jpg

Now, since I long ago committed to building this 1A with FAST Packs equipped, I wanted to look at it again. I came up with these for battroid and Super:

1st_brownie_schematic.jpg

So I dug everything out and primed it, then hit it with Tamiya Insignia White, while I was also painting my Regult. In retrospect, I wish I'd looked at the scheme again before I painted. As it is, I wasted a lot of white on areas that will end up brown. Oh well.

I had some free time the other day to sit down and mask out the white markings. Then I had to rebuild my spraybooth, as it did NOT work as intended on the first go. But now I'm swamped with work and itching to get back down to the work table. :(

post-2681-0-82879600-1320809028_thumb.jpg

post-2681-0-87310100-1320809036_thumb.jpg

post-2681-0-46747900-1320809045_thumb.jpg

post-2681-0-16933800-1320809053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

Well, I suppose I could pop the back panels required for the boosters off and reseat them properly for fighter. The trickiest part to change back might be the leg attachment. I agree that it looks better without the packs myself.

Of course, if anybody has a spare Hase 1A that they wanna sell for cheap...

Edit: Hmmm, it would seem the Super 1A kit (DYRL Max painting on box) doesn't include the naked fighter knee piece. I always thought the alignment was a little off anyway. Nothing some superglue and epoxy can't remedy, right?

Edited by Kelsain

Sigh, maybe I should have looked first... I decided to take your advice and do a naked valk build. Pried the backpack apart, then realized that the proper panel for a naked valk is not included in this case either... :wacko: I guess I'm stuck with doing this as a super! At least all the opened seams are hidden. Ah well. Back to it, then.

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh, maybe I should have looked first... I decided to take your advice and do a naked valk build. Pried the backpack apart, then realized that the proper panel for a naked valk is not included in this case either... :wacko: I guess I'm stuck with doing this as a super! At least all the opened seams are hidden. Ah well. Back to it, then.

Can u photograph the bit u need, I'm sure I have a spare or partially built one, somewhere. Can send to you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to do a bit more work in the dungeon! Today I attempted to use my $5 garage sale air compressor to lay down some paint. The thing doesn't seem to be putting out enough pressure... But, luckily I still had a couple Badger cans laying about, so I started applying the first coat of brown. I'm still getting some of the std fighter pieces in place, so I couldn't get everything tonight, but it's progress!

I also managed to put the blue on my Imai Regult update. Turned out a little darker than I'd have liked...

Edit: Couldn't sleep this morning, so I got another coat of brown on this sucker.

post-2681-0-31886200-1325736930_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got another chance to get downstairs and do some more airbrushing. After an hour or so, I couldn't wait to take off the tape!

There's a few spots where the paint bled under the tape, a few doofy over-sprays, but easily fixed.

Whoops, forgot to attach the pic!

(null)

post-2681-380478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

Thanks! I'm just touching up by brush, hopefully the future evens out the finish.

I wish insignia white came in bottles. I'll have to spray some in a cup for those spots. I also have to order some decal paper.

(null)

Edited by Kelsain

• 5 months later...

I've finally gotten back to the table for a while. I was having some issues touching up the lacquer white over acrylic brown. Apparently I'll need to give it a coat of future before proceeding further. More soon, hopefully.

(null)

Maybe after I'm done! :p

God knows this thing languished for 5 years while I tried to come up with a good paint scheme...

Seems to be my biggest hurdle in modeling. Ok, now it's the toddler, but that's only a recent condition.

Edited by Kelsain