HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

How are you not allowed to criticize Carl Macek when he's got a new documentary and movie? If he's off-limits because his messed up ideas about anime are history then his name shouldn't be on the products. That's like the policy at their website where if you hate the people who make Robotech then you're making personal attacks.

How are you not allowed to criticize Carl Macek when he's got a new documentary and movie? If he's off-limits because his messed up ideas about anime are history then his name shouldn't be on the products. That's like the policy at their website where if you hate the people who make Robotech then you're making personal attacks.

I agree, and that's why I'm not going to go out of my way to defend somebody's poor decisions, or their inability to create anything original that is worthwhile. I wouldn't criticize someone who just passed, out of respect for the passing, but it's definitely been enough time where we can all criticize and post thoughts on past ideas and directions.

Yeah, in a nutshell, you're right. BigWest is part of an antiquated method of doing business in the anime industry where creators (Studio Nue, in the case of Macross) used to go to different agencies to sell their projects and get their material on the air. Nowadays there is the "production committee system" where creators team up with manufacturers, broadcasters and publishers etc, to get a cross-media IP up and running.

Both HG and BW have a stranglehold on their respective franchises.

The main difference is that HG tries to handle the creative stuff in-house, whereas they should really contract actual professional creative teams to plan their works, and then contract animation houses, etc. They skip the middle and most important part, and go straight from writing their own fanfics to getting them cheaply animated.

It makes me wonder why HG didn't approach Tatsunko for all the creative works and animation for Shadow Chronicles. They are partners after all. Plus, they're using Mospeada, which is owned by Tatsunoko, as the backbone for TSC.

It makes me wonder why HG didn't approach Tatsunko for all the creative works and animation for Shadow Chronicles. They are partners after all. Plus, they're using Mospeada, which is owned by Tatsunoko, as the backbone for TSC.

I think HG hasn't adequate amount of cash for Tatsunoko animation and Robotech is nonexistent franchise for japanese market. Tatsunoko own a lot of cost-effective franchises and propably doesn't care about work on unknown american series. They belong to Takara Tomy too so they don't need to create toy rivalry for Hasbro partner on american market. Edited by Crossboy

I don't think Tatsunoko even cares about all that. It's probably a relationship that simply allows HG to put a check into Tat's hands every year or whatever, and that is all.

I actually think Tatsunoko keeps their license with HG just to piss off Big West at this point. Tatsunoko can sit back and do nothing while HG does all the U.S. cock-blocking.

Well a lot of anime is overseen and produced by companies that are not directly related to the act of animating a new show. We shouldn't single out either Big West or HG for that.

It's just Big West has someone they can actually trust to do something professional and competent each time they make a new show. Harmony Gold gave the keys to some really inexperienced people and hoped something good would come of it.

It's like Gold Rush Alaska.

Also, if there are plans to put the series on Blu-Ray one day, or at least 1/3 of it, someone else is beating them to it.

Edited by Einherjar

Japanese reader reviews to Manga-Entertainments ROBOTECH OLD 30’S to 40'S ages ROBOTECH fan comments.

マクロスを改作した米国製アニメ「ロボテック」第1話を観た外国人のコメント http://goyaku.blog45.fc2.com/?no=405

Translation

The comments of foreigner (for Japanese) who saw the first episode " Robotech: The Macross Saga: Boobytrap "(MANGAentertainment) in the United States "ROBOTECH (legacy)", the adaped stories .

Edited by yui1107

Took me a while to make sense of Yui's Engrish and what that page is.

I wouldn't expect them to like it. The story is in English, it's old, it's unoriginal, the OP and ED and sound effects have been ruined through "remastering", it can't compete against other animation, and if they bother to watch Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles on top of that the additional animation is very cheap and from Korea.

64. 米国版OPも思ったほど悪くないな。

ワクワクさせる感じ。

If I understand correctly, they like the main title?

9. ロボテックてタイトルがダサいな

I probably wouldn't like the title Robotech either if it came out today instead of the 80s. Back then it sounded kind of cool in a less technological world. Just like here, there are also other companies and things in Japan called ロボテック. It's like the show is using a name that's already used for something else. Maybe that's what they're talking about.

I probably wouldn't like the title Robotech either if it came out today instead of the 80s.

I've thought about that, too. The name "Robotech" does resonate with a lot of people (not so much as Transformers or Voltron) which could be used as a selling point to older audiences, but it sounds dated at this point. Granted, since it was originally named after a line of licensed line of model, the original creators were more or less stuck with that name.

Even when they made the Invasion game, it looked like they were trying to underscore the "Robotech" title in the cover design

robotechinvasion_xboxboxboxart_160w.jpg

Edited by Darkwater

I try, y'know? But there's only so much a li'l fuzzball can do...

I checked his show and they've recently all been about his game mod that he's been working on. I miss the conspiracy theory episodes, and the ones where'd he'd spend three hours analyzing two sentences that Tom Bateman writes in this forum.

You mean, he went from indirectly blaming Jews for the Holocaust, and claiming they inflated the numbers, to just talking about that stupid game mod? Yes, that statement is true, and these are the people the Robotech mods respect and partner with.

You mean, he went from indirectly blaming Jews for the Holocaust, and claiming they inflated the numbers, to just talking about that stupid game mod? Yes, that statement is true, and these are the people the Robotech mods respect and partner with.

Him blaming the Jews for the holocaust was his poltical talkshow, not his Robotech show. His Robotech show is the one where he's homophobic and misongynistic.

Him blaming the Jews for the holocaust was his poltical talkshow, not his Robotech show. His Robotech show is the one where he's homophobic and misongynistic.

True, but there's not much difference in the content he brings to either of his podcast. That same type of idealism is what is brought over to the RT podcast, the same paranoia, same conspiracy formulation, same racial remarks, same idiotic idealism. Also, knowing that on that political podcast, the RTx.com admin was on there, just kinda makes you wonder.

True, but there's not much difference in the content he brings to either of his podcast. That same type of idealism is what is brought over to the RT podcast, the same paranoia, same conspiracy formulation, same racial remarks, same idiotic idealism. Also, knowing that on that political podcast, the RTx.com admin was on there, just kinda makes you wonder.

Well, he's racist on both of the shows, so there ya go! :)

You guys want Doug to make a 3 hour podcast on the Robotech Calendar? :p

Not to give the fool ideas, but it actually wouldn't be that hard for him to do since there's 366 days this year (it's a leap year afterall) and the calendar has all those important Robotech related dates: The HG staff birthdays, McKeevie's eating schedule, the Convention Tour dates (as of it's printing), etc.

Personally, I think it's hilarious that Doug Bendo has restricted me from giving feedback on not one, but ALL of his podcasts.

...guess I'm pretty scary, huh? Poor guy...

You are like the Ron Paul of Macross fandom. He can't face you in a fair debate so he pretends you don't exist. :lol:

And it must be 3 hours long. And about your ban. Disecting every little detail...down to the pixel.

Too boring. Make it a short, hot-blooded, in-your face, screaming rant. :D

As with everything involving Robotech these days, that's not really interesting after seeing the same stuff going in circles years down the line.

Sorry for sounding depressing, but at this rate a lot of people may be dead before anything significant actually happens.

Edited by Einherjar

would the robotech fans both hardcore and newcomers these days welcome a new series without any relation to anything macross?