y5WYG.jpg

Couldn't find a thread about this series, so does anybody else watch this? Some really great stuff. Simple, but nice art direction. Funny writing; lots of laughs to be had.

If you don't know the show is about the adventures of a human kid (possibly the last human) named Finn the Human, and his sidekick Jake the Dog. They live in the magical Land of Ooo (which is actually a post-apocalyptic Earth). Oh, and Jake is a magical dog. And Finn is hots for Princess Bubblegum, who is a princess made of bubblegum. Then there's the thousand year old vampire Marceline the Vampire Queen, who is a cool rocker chick. There's Beemo, Finn's sentient video game system. And there's Dr. Princess, but she's not really a princess; Princess is just a surname.

I'll stop gushing about it. But really, it's my favorite thing on TV at the moment.

It could be worse, by that I mean it could be one of Nick's live action shows. If it were not for my kids watching it I would not know it exists, and live a more blissful life...

What is it that you do not like about the show?

For me, it's a good counter-balance to all the other shows that I watch with more serious subject matter. I feel that Finn represents the sugar/caffeine-powered playfulness of my youth. Finn and Jake make everything an adventure -- even the most simplest of tasks. I really dig the silliness of it all.

What is it that you do not like about the show?

I suppose the answer "everything about it" would not quite be what you are looking for.

To me it is just another run of the mill cartoon show, of which nick and CN are brimming these days. The writing is uninspired, to say the least. The plots likewise. So it's just another excuse to have a couple characters scream and yell and do stupid things - and unlike SpongeBob or Ren and Stimpy - it just isn't well done.

I suppose the answer "everything about it" would not quite be what you are looking for.

To me it is just another run of the mill cartoon show, of which nick and CN are brimming these days. The writing is uninspired, to say the least. The plots likewise. So it's just another excuse to have a couple characters scream and yell and do stupid things - and unlike SpongeBob or Ren and Stimpy - it just isn't well done.

I think the writing is pretty good; it has that subtle (and sometimes, not-so-subtle) adult humour that Spongebob had in the first few seasons while Hillenburg was still around; even more so. The plot? Well for 10~ minute short subjects, I think they do pretty well. What kind of experience are you expecting? Inception?

Does Finn scream and yell? Of course, he's a kid. Does Finn end up doing stupid things? Sure, again he's a kid. For me, I find it somewhat quaint to watch Finn happily trying to solve a problem that sometimes does not exist. On the other hand, Spongebob and Patrick have recently started acting like (excuse my phrasing) retards for the sake of being retarded.

And I'm sorry, but Ren and Stimpy were terrible. To this day, for the life of me, I can't understand why people like it. I cringe whenever I hear someone say, "You EEEDIOT!" That's supposed to be funny?

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

My 5 year old daughter and I love watching this animated show together.

It's only a matter of time until this dissapears into obscurity, just like "the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack." Which I might add was another great show with soft wit and interesting characters.

What kind of experience are you expecting? Inception?

Nope, just clever and witty.

SB - I agree that it went downhill after the first couple seasons.

Nighmare mentioned FlapJack - there is another stinker, IMHO of course.

Now, if you were to mention "Kids Next Door", that show was witty and clever.

Wow, KND? We definitely have completely different tastes.

and what exactly is wrong with Kids Next door?

Honestly, it's been years since I've watched a show on Cartoon network that wasn't a rerun; and right now they only have a couple shows in reruns that i actually like. Cartoon network peaked in terms of original programing in the early 2000's when stuff was being done under the Cartoon Cartoons monicker; shows like Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Samurai Jack. Personally I don't think Cartoon network has introduced a wholly original show worth watching since Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

and what exactly is wrong with Kids Next door?

If I may plagiarize Dynaman: "everything about it".

I didn't like the animation, I didn't like the voice acting, I didn't like any of the characters, I didn't like the stories. I watched more than a few episodes, but ended up thinking to myself, "Why am I watching this? This is terrible." I disliked the fact that the characters took what they were doing so seriously as well. And the prop design; I get it, they're kids and they build things out of found objects, but still - yuck.

Honestly, it's been years since I've watched a show on Cartoon network that wasn't a rerun; and right now they only have a couple shows in reruns that i actually like. Cartoon network peaked in terms of original programing in the early 2000's when stuff was being done under the Cartoon Cartoons monicker; shows like Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Samurai Jack. Personally I don't think Cartoon network has introduced a wholly original show worth watching since Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

The era you mentioned is definitely the Golden Age of CN, so much good stuff there. I don't know what's on CN other than "Adventure Time", mainly because I mostly don't watch TV anymore (I just download shows and watch them at my convenience). All the shows you mentioned are definitely original in their own way, and I would put "Adventure Time" up there with them.

The era you mentioned is definitely the Golden Age of CN, so much good stuff there. I don't know what's on CN other than "Adventure Time", mainly because I mostly don't watch TV anymore (I just download shows and watch them at my convenience). All the shows you mentioned are definitely original in their own way, and I would put "Adventure Time" up there with them.

Other then Adventure Time I agree with you, those other shows were all great, I especially loved Dexter's Lab, just for the DnD episode if nothing else.

KND was awesome, but the last great new original cartoon I truly loved was Invader Zim, that was what a Nick or CN cartoon should be like. Too bad it was underappreciated during it's original run, and I hate that Hot Topic ran it to the gound after it knowing most people who wear that stuff didn't watch it till it became "cool".

KND was awesome, but the last great new original cartoon I truly loved was Invader Zim, that was what a Nick or CN cartoon should be like. Too bad it was underappreciated during it's original run, and I hate that Hot Topic ran it to the gound after it knowing most people who wear that stuff didn't watch it till it became "cool".

I only watched "Invader Zim" a couple of times, but I liked what I saw. I didn't watch any more of it because I kept missing it on TV (back before the invention of the DVR). :p

I hate Hot Topic, period.

I love Adventure Time. Have the 10" Finn figure sitting right next to the keyboard staring at me with his anger-face.

Its not for everyone, but I dig the strange ideas and clever humor of the show. One of my favorite parts was when Lady Rainicorn, who typically speaks with a lovely Korean voice, was made to wear a translation box so Finn could understand her and the only setting that made sense was "old man", which was an instant turn-off for Jake. I will admit though that I flipped past this show many, many times and wrote it off as being stupid. Wasn't until I really sat down and watched an episode from start to finish that it clicked with me and I fell it love with it. While it may have a lot of bizarre elements, at its heart it is a good old-fashioned action-adventure show with solid writing.

If anyone is thinking of getting the current DVD, be warned that its not a 'season' set and none of the episodes are in any kind of order. I think it has a handful of episodes from season 1 & 2. Not that continuity is uber-important with this show, but I kind of like watching things in chronological order.

post-430-0-18112100-1319602182_thumb.jpg

Edited by eriku

I love Adventure Time. Have the 10" Finn figure sitting right next to the keyboard staring at me with his anger-face.

Its not for everyone, but I dig the strange ideas and clever humor of the show. One of my favorite parts was when Lady Rainicorn, who typically speaks with a lovely Korean voice, was made to wear a translation box so Finn could understand her and the only setting that made sense was "old man", which was an instant turn-off for Jake. I will admit though that I flipped past this show many, many times and wrote it off as being stupid. Wasn't until I really sat down and watched an episode from start to finish that it clicked with me and I fell it love with it. While it may have a lot of bizarre elements, at its heart it is a good old-fashioned action-adventure show with solid writing.

If anyone is thinking of getting the current DVD, be warned that its not a 'season' set and none of the episodes are in any kind of order. I think it has a handful of episodes from season 1 & 2. Not that continuity is uber-important with this show, but I kind of like watching things in chronological order.

Awesome fig!

lol the whole "old man voice" was a big turnoff for me as well.

The "good old-fashioned action-adventure show" is what initially drew me in, but the unexplained phenomena, and the innuendos that have popped up in the course of the series is what has kept me around. To me, the simple lines and bright colors of the art direction mask a dark and macabre layer of the show.

And then there are moments like this:

Huzzah!

I haven't seen the show, but I am willing to sit down and watch it.

But from what I saw at San Diego Comicon this past July...this show has "A CULT LIKE FOLLOWING"...

A-CULT-LIKE-FOLLOWING...

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

Fun fact: The voice actors that play "Marceline the Vampire Queen" and "Marceline's dad/Lord of Evil" are father and daughter in real life.

h1J1S.jpg

Martin Olson and Olivia Olson

I love this show that and regular show.

One of the few good cartoons on the air.

On a side note a former class mate of mine is friends with one of the creators of Invader Zim as well his drugs connection.

Finn would be proud.

cgwF7.jpg

Man, I'd totally dress up as Finn for Halloween if I could either find a Finn hood or have the ability to make one. A green backpack would be easy to find, and the role-play sword can be bought at Toys R' Us.

Also I'd love to see Revoltech or Figma figures of Finn & Jake. The current figures are kinda crappy.

Man, I'd totally dress up as Finn for Halloween if I could either find a Finn hood or have the ability to make one. A green backpack would be easy to find, and the role-play sword can be bought at Toys R' Us.

I've seen a lot of people dress up as Finn, Fionna, PB, and Jake for Halloween this year. I would too, but I've always felt silly in costume.

The two places that I know of where you can get a Finn hat is etsy.com or amazon.com.

Also I'd love to see Revoltech or Figma figures of Finn & Jake. The current figures are kinda crappy.

at least the Adventure time figures actually look like the characters they're trying to represent. *grumblegrumble*F*ckingPinkCelestiaWhatisthisIdon'teven*grumblegrumble*

at least the Adventure time figures actually look like the characters they're trying to represent. *grumblegrumble*F*ckingPinkCelestiaWhatisthisIdon'teven*grumblegrumble*

Oh for sure. They look pretty much perfect - it's just the joints that bring them down. That said, I'm happy that Adventure Time figures exist at all.

'Love Adventure Time! I really dig how Finn and Jake turn every situation into a new adventure and generally have a positive outlook, despite the fact that they live in a post-apocalyptic world where everything has gone to sh@#$t.

"It's raining knives!"

Could never stand Codename: Kids Next Door. It always came across as pretentious, as if screaming to kids "Watch us because we're so kewl!" Ugh.

I actually just recently started watching this series. I catch it on weekends sometimes, but usually on the new episode day. It's pretty funny. I almost have to wonder how they come up with such strange storylines.

I am a huge fan as well, and I thought Flapjack was one of the best cartoons on TV since Ren & Stimpy, so put me in that camp. On of the things that I love about the show is that it is clear that the jokes for Jake, who is voiced by the actor that does Bender on Futurama, are written specifically with that Bender tinge but a little more kid oriented. I also love the randomness of lots of the humor.

Rule 34

Pics by AT character designer Natasha Allegri.

So who subscribes to the idea that Marceline is hots for Princess Bubblegum? Personally, I think she is, or at the very least has an intense need for PB to like her (though, Marceline would never admit it openly).

I love this show.

Now that's what I call "Adventure Time"! :D

Edited by eriku

About last night's episode...spoilers below.

I assume when Finn felt underneath Susan Strong's hood he didn't feel gills, which could mean she's a human and that's probably why she wanted him to stay with her. Would that make her the only other human besides Finn so far? Or his expression could mean he felt gills...or it could mean nothing and they'll never address it again. :lol:

Also, I love seeing Finn's long, flowing golden hair. :D

Edited by eriku