Your absolute favorite Macross toy you own...

drkstar00

1/60 YF-21 (the first run that came in a giant box with the clear stand) It was the only toy I've ever pre-ordered. No surprise considering the YF-21/VF-22S is my favourite valkyrie design, the most innovative valk design, IMO.

Why are there two threads of basically the same topic from the same person? The other being Post a pic of your absolute favorite Macross toy

Could have just said to post the pics in here also :p

Anyway...

I thought about this one and it came down to the YF-21, Max's VF-22S, and the 1/3000 SDF-1.

I had to rule out the SDF-1 because while it is awesome, it isn't a valkyrie and valkyries are the main reason I got into Macross.

While I like the neat armored canopy and face plate of the YF-21 better, I don't like how it looks with the gunpods attached as it spoils the sleekness of the fighter's profile. Whereas the 22S looks sleeker with the integrated gunpod covers.

So I guess my pick is Max's VF-22S. I like its color scheme a lot along with the added stripe on the tail fins, plus I put much more effort into that one than I did with the YF-21 so it holds more value to me.

Also, Max. 'nuff said.

I don't feel like taking it out to snap some new pics so I'll just repost a couple that I have already shown before.

VF-22S_max_fighter_03.JPG

VF-22S_max_battroid_01.JPG

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Why are there two threads of basically the same topic from the same person? The other being Post a pic of your absolute favorite Macross toy

Anyway...

I thought about this one and it came down to the YF-21, Max's VF-22S, and the 1/3000 SDF-1.

I had to rule out the SDF-1 because while it is awesome, it isn't a valkyrie and valkyries are the main reason I got into Macross.

While I like the neat armored canopy and face plate of the YF-21 better, I don't like how it looks with the gunpods attached as it spoils the sleekness of the fighter's profile. Whereas the 22S looks sleeker with the integrated gunpod covers.

So I guess my pick is Max's VF-22S. I like its color scheme a lot along with the added stripe on the tail fins, plus I put much more effort into that one than I did with the YF-21 so it holds more value to me.

Also, Max. 'nuff said.

I don't feel like taking it out to snap some new pics so I'll just repost a couple that I have already shown before.

That is freaking incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

1/60 YF-21 (the first run that came in a giant box with the clear stand) It was the only toy I've ever pre-ordered. No surprise considering the YF-21/VF-22S is my favourite valkyrie design, the most innovative valk design, IMO.

thanx for reminding me...i finally put the fast packs on my yf-21 cuz ur post reminded me i have the first run of the 21..so she now sits w/ stand...thanx..quick question where can one get those clear stand w/ the 3 prongs....its the only thing i asked my wife for x mas as i buy enough crap through out the year to justify not ever recieving a x mas present for the rest of enternity..

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to say the exact same thing - albeit not about the 1/60 v.2 but rather Bandai's 1:100 Hi Metal VF-1J. It's superior to the Yamato in every possible way. The sculpt is more anime accurate, the transformation - particularly of the shoulders/arms - is flawless, innovative and far superior to Yamato, and the durability and QC are better too.

The pictures speak for themselves: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=994

Pete

i love the himetal.

One thing to note however is that the arms are double jointed now on the strike roy vf-1.

In the link you mention the VF-1J is only single joint at the arms. I didn't know that since I am more a fan of roy than hikaru who obviosly isn't as great as roy or max as a pilot and survives mainly due to plot armour. lol

*ducks attacks from butthurt hikaru fans*

VF-1S is a much better-looking robot thanks to the extra head laser firepower offering better chance of success to shoot down missiles.

Everyone should buy a strike roy imo to show love/appreciation to this line of toys. It's what I wished those cheap banpresto toys were from the past.

One thing I don't like about the 1/60 yamato is how chunky the gunpod looks. The himetal version of that looks a lot sleeker despite the yamato toy still being overall the better product and being more close to getting a perfect transform with regards to landing gears, gunpod (himetal is a swappable piece) and heatshield.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The 1/60 YF-19...until the V2 gets made.

Anyway...

Also, Max. 'nuff said.

Macrossjunkie, awesome weathering on the Max VF-22S. To be honest, I really hated the pastel tones of the Max and Milia customs, and only bought the Gamlin custom. But that nice detailing and weathering you did on yours makes it look worlds better than what it looks like out of the box.

Too bad I have neither the skills nor an airbrush to detail it up, or I'd consider getting a Max custom of my own while it's on sale at HLJ and weather it up.

My absolute favorite in my collection is the Yamato 1/60 YF-19.

BTW, drkstar00, please don't quote multiple images if you're just gonna write a single-line reply. It's very inconsiderate to other readers.

Awesome pics, AreaSeven. The YF-19's fighter mode is my favorite of all the three different modes. I like the GERWALK mode too, but it makes the toy's already short wings look even shorter.

I have a few Macross items(VF-1, VF-25, SDF-1, Regult, Glaug, all destroids, Q-Rau(Miria, Klan and Pixie)) in different scales.

But the most cherished item is still the 1/48 VF-1J. I guess the opening Macross SDF credit scene, when Hikaru is about to take off from Prometheus, got burnt into my mind. That's why I have two of them. One in fighter mode and the other in full armor.

post-7534-0-84217600-1324624392_thumb.jpegpost-7534-0-93725900-1324625209_thumb.jpg

I have a few Macross items(VF-1, VF-25, SDF-1, Regult, Glaug, all destroids, Q-Rau(Miria, Klan and Pixie)) in different scales.

But the most cherished item is still the 1/48 VF-1J. I guess the opening Macross SDF credit scene, when Hikaru is about to take off from Prometheus, got burnt into my mind. That's why I have two of them. One in fighter mode and the other in full armor.

post-7534-0-84217600-1324624392_thumb.jpegpost-7534-0-93725900-1324625209_thumb.jpg

Great displays, ron5864, I can see why these are your favourites!

are you using a 1:48 scale ground crew for this diorama?

Wouldn't you say how Bandai handled the shoulder transformation was innovative? It's definitely something I like about the Hi-Metal. I'm a fan of the toy but that's about the only thing that strikes me as really innovative about it. I dunno about better than the 1/60 V2 but for my money there's definitely no better 1/100 VF-1 out there :)

They look great, Lolicon. What did you use for the wash?

Thanks Reïvaj! I used Pro Modeller's wash, which is super easy to use. No need to deal with paint thinner or anything like that. After it dries, you just wipe off the excess with a moist paper towel.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/buy-the-wash/

The wash will adhere and not come off unless you get it wet. You're supposed to clear coat it afterwards, but I didn't bother doing that on my valkyries, since I never expose them to water. :)

Thanks Reïvaj! I used Pro Modeller's wash, which is super easy to use. No need to deal with paint thinner or anything like that. After it dries, you just wipe off the excess with a moist paper towel.

http://www.florymode...k/buy-the-wash/

The wash will adhere and not come off unless you get it wet. You're supposed to clear coat it afterwards, but I didn't bother doing that on my valkyries, since I never expose them to water. :)

:lol: I bet you don't!

Thanks for the tips, Lolicon!

http://www.florymode...k/buy-the-wash/

I regularly fly my valks through the fog that my kid's humidifier makes and I pretend that it's clouds, so that wouldn't work for me... I mean, I used to... when I was a kid.... :unsure: