Rented it from RedBox last nite. VERY disappointed with the unrealistic plot & execution.

Agree powersuits should have been more 'power-armour'-ey, a la book's original intent; also standard issue guns, while much beefier and lethal looking, didn't seem to be much of an improvement over standard firepower in the original Verhoeven movie.

Poorly executed fanservice w/the boobies and I wanted to like the new characters but they just weren't developed enough.

Even though Roughnecks was for a more juvenile audience, a single episode of that had more stand-alone watch-ability than ':Invasion'.

Got it last night. Eh it's not terrible. In some ways better than the original movie (not the original book). It's not a great movie by any length, GTA and a lack of proper explosions... Passable story, passable designs, ending's a little too predictable. Sort of see it as a "what the heck, I hadn't seen this GTA show for some time..." kind of movie.

Bought the Blu Ray, watched the movie and enjoyed it. I found it was actually better and less cheesie than the first movie. Never read the book so don't care for comparisons or accuracies. It wouldn't win any awards for story or originality, but over all it was a fun watch. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have only read "Stranger in a Strange Land" and it convinced me not to read anything else by the author.

Yeah, so many people list that as his quintessential work but I wasn't thrilled with it either. SST is by far my favorite of his books that I read. Tunnel in the Sky isn't bad either.

Chris

I have not read Stranger in a Strange Land but from what I have read ABOUT it the book seems to have been written by an entirely different person then the one who wrote SST.

Stranger is on my bookshelf but just has not made it to the top (and most likely never will)

Stranger was not one of my favorite RAH books and was written at the start of the whole free love craze which made it very popular in the 60s. The extended edition, puplished after he died, delves into some seriously interesting metaphysics which played into some of his later works. It is a good book, but not light reading by any stretch. SST is one of my favorites of his though, read it. It is worlds better than the crappy movie. THough the CGI animated SST movie is not bad, and can almost be considered a sequel to the book, if it didn't have so many things from the movie thrown in.