Legos, anyone?

danth

check it out, free classic spaceman when you spend $99. (maybe I should pick up benny's spaceship now).

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Free-Spaceman-Minifigure-VIP?RRID=24103363&RMID=VIP_2014_09_Spaceman_NA_PR_US

Its not completely a classic space man. Look closely and it has the newer motorcycle style helmet that was introduced in the Futuron line without the visor, and not the classics more tin can style with the breakable chin bar.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Helicarrier is a cool model, and the microfigs were a nice touch for scale, but I was hoping for a more minifig scaled ship. I realize something like that would be pretty big, but they made the UCS Milennium Falcon, and it was huge: over 5000 pieces, the largest production set to date. There's a new hull piece coming out in the 2015 Divers sets that I think would make a good starting base for a Helicarrier playset. I'm thinking about giving it a try, at least in LDD once it's added to the pallette.

I like many here am a life long collector of Lego, been at it since the mid 70's, with the advent of non paper route work, eBay and brickowl etc I have managed to almost fill the gaps of all the kits I didn't get from my era (classic Space).

I have recently got into minifig collections.

Shameless beg time.

I sure that many of you here also collect the minifig series too. My friend has a kid who has Autisum and Aspergers, Lego is his focus he is tottaly transfixed by it. As I collect the figs I found in the more recent series that there was a website app on the paper sheet inside. I gave them to my friend as I have no interest in them, I thought his boy might get something out of it.

Turns out he loves the game. Now normally he won't watch TV and the minifigs don't really register with him. But collecting the figs in game has him hooked.

We have spent a small fortune getting the minifigs just for the paper code sheets. Apparently there are characters for every minifig released so that's 16x14 series.

My shameless ask is any of you out there who have the sheets who don't want the codes care to scan them and pm them to me?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by big F

• 1 month later...

This looks like a really fun set:

Sadly no funds, no room and no time for building. :p

I love all the small details and varieties in the groceries. The also packed a bunch of references in the set. Sadly no sliding entrance door from the episode where Bart sold his soul to Milhouse.

I think the only thing that is missing from this set is a Linda and Paul McCartney minifig. ^_^

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Lights and sound, too. Pretty cool. The Ideas sets are on a strict budget, which generally precludes sound bricks and such, but it would have been great had they been able to sneak an official sound brick into the new Ecto-1 set.

You'll have to post a vid when you have it all wired up. It'll make an already cool display piece all the more dynamic.

Lights and sound, too. Pretty cool. The Ideas sets are on a strict budget, which generally precludes sound bricks and such, but it would have been great had they been able to sneak an official sound brick into the new Ecto-1 set.

You'll have to post a vid when you have it all wired up. It'll make an already cool display piece all the more dynamic.

Thx, too bad there is no sounds with this kit, I also found this set does not includes the main flashing light (all other lights on the roof are flashing or color changing tho), I am planning to get some smd leds and wiring it up myself....

post-81-0-75250300-1468464342_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-82799300-1468464346_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-02472300-1468464421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Swoosh

Lookin' sharp, Swoosh!

Ideas sets are hit and miss for me; the two latest models to be accepted for production are the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (how this got 10K votes, and how it met LEGO's standards are beyond me), and the Saturn V Rocket. If they make it with all the various stages, including Command Module and LEM, I'll pony up.

Ooh, I completely forgot about the Ecto 1 set-thanks for the reminder, Swoosh. It looks great, especially with the lights. Are you gonna get the firehouse to go with it?

I think the only other Lego set I want is of the Space Shuttle Expedition from a few years ago. I regret passing it up on the shelf because the secondary market prices for it now are too high for me.

I have Shuttle Adventure, the first edition of that set. A second version was released addressing weak or unstable areas. Anyway, I think I like the original version better, and it is a great set, one I couldn't pass up when it was first released. I'm currently reading Into the Black by Rowland White about the development of the Shuttle and its lesser known role of placing DoD and NRO satellites in orbit. Anyway, when I read or watch anything about the Shuttle, I'm often tempted to pull that set out and give it a good swoosh. :p

Edit:

Wow, that VF-1 is Impressive. Huge props to the builder. I love how it can fit one of those excellent old-schoool Technic figures. I wish they still made those guys- so much potential. Good find, Danth!

Edited by M'Kyuun

Major props to him for figuring out the mechanisms to make that work, but I have to admit, I'm not a fan of all those goofy technic plates he used. To be fair though, using all those hollow pieces is probably the only way to keep it from collapsing under its own weight.

Pretty amazing either way, the scaling probably puts it somewhere between 1/24 and 1/18. The hands are the same size as the 1/18 one I started, but the rest of the valk looks a little smaller in proportion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a heck of a first Technic set!

Anyone have any comments on selling on Bricklink vs Ebay? I'm looking to unload most all my Star Wars sets and about half my other sets. None have boxes, all have instructions, if that affects the comparison.

Hey, you don't happen to have the UCS Millennium Falcon or Tydirium Shuttle do you?

That UCS Falcon is my holy grail kit - I can't believe I thought it was too expensive when it came out - one of my worst regrets!

Have the UCS X-Wing (original) - people at work bought it for me and started my collection of UCS kits, the Y-Wing is amazing! Got the B-Wing, although it isn't officially a UCS kit, it is really detailed like one - got it on sale on May the 4th from Lego.com for 50% off (back in the days when May 4th sales were real!)

I mainly collect UCS sets though my collection is small with the Falcon, new X-Wing, and Slave-1. Hope to get the Tie Fighter soon and I keep going back and forth with the Sandcrawler. I also have the Tumbler and Ghostbusters firehouse and cars. My fiancé gets the architecture sets.

I've kept an eye out for the better UCS sets, and usually pick them up if they hit a significant discount. Biggest one I regret is the original Blockade Runner UCS set though, that was one of the very early ones, and I just didn't have the cash on hand to get it.

Think my favorite is the Shuttle, but I'm looking for parts to rebuild a few pieces of it. Never liked the shape of the nose section or the engine block. Nose is a fairly easy fix with layered plates, but the engine section will need some fancy 3x3 quarter dome pieces that I'm not actually sure exist.

Nice! I never knew there was an UCS Blockade Runner till now.

I have the 10198 Blockade Runner and it is one of the better kits out there (although not UCS), really fun to build with my daughter and looks great too.

A bit of LEGO ® news. In the last year a new company out of China began cloning entire sets including the higher end UCS Millenium Falcon and Ghostbuster firehouse. The LEGO group just filed suit.

http://brickset.com/article/23648/the-lego-group-takes-action-against-clone-brand-lepin

I actually wasn't aware of this. Seems that there is slight quality difference, but I'm not sure of how the clutch differs between this knock-off bricks and say MegaBlok.

It is interesting to me to see some of the various set they are jus straight out cloning. The boxes themselves are photoshopped versions of the originals, simply replacing Lepin where ever it once said LEGO, which in some places is comical, since there is no Lepin club a la the LEGO club.

As a brick builder, this is interesting simply as a source for raw brick. Alibaba has many sets.

Edited by Mazinger

Wow! Thanks, I never knew. The UCS Millennium Falcon is going for between $8-9K - just crazy. For $250cdn, I think it might be worth the risk, but I wonder why all the AliExpress listings show that it will be shipped without boxes - hmm I wonder if they'd get stopped at the border or something if they had the original Lepin box?! Weird, can't seem to find any reviews of this UCS knock off specifically, any one here with experiences?