Legos, anyone?

danth

1 hour ago, J.T. Silversmith said:

It looks to me like it is a 1x2 flat tile.  It is clipped onto the bottom of the gunpod with a claw piece much the same way as the hand is holding it.  You are seeing the bottom of the tile, so it looks like an open box.  The claw sits between the cone and  a rectangular brick.

Gotcha!  Thanks!  I got close to replicating the gunpod with that advice. :)

Any chance you know what the grey piece is on the underside of the chest that actually looks like a chest vulcan?

I can't seem to locate anything in LDD that is similar to it?  

Edited by protostar8

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's either 6134 or 3938. Good luck completing it!

If anyone wants the LDD I made, I have attached it.

The 3 extra pieces are there just in case they are needed to attach the shield or replace some "shoulder" pieces that MIGHT inhibit transformation a little.  It's very hard to tell in LDD b/c sometimes something isn't really blocked from rotating, but LDD won't let it turn right.  Better safe than sorry when you're talking about $0.10 worth of bricks right???

Also included are my own version of Fast Packs with the Advance parts. :)

YF-19 with Fast Pack Finished.lxf

YF-19 with Fast Pack Finished.jpeg

On 3/12/2017 at 1:07 AM, David Hingtgen said:

Parts list available?   There's not a zillion but it would be nice to be able to see what I'd need.  

PS---my vote for the chest guns is also 3938. 

If you open the file I uploaded in LDD, there is an option for a BOM, which lists materials needed.

2 hours ago, protostar8 said:

Here's another one...

What is that Technic looking piece that will fit the T-Bars?  All the Technic pieces in the LDD that I see have holes that are much too large.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3231644

If it's the 1x2 thin technic piece that the pneumatic T's are plugged into then it's this piece, through the axle holes:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41677#T=C

Else where the the T's are slotted into 1x1 modified bricks with holes on all sides.

14 hours ago, Mazinger said:

If it's the 1x2 thin technic piece that the pneumatic T's are plugged into then it's this piece, through the axle holes:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41677#T=C

Else where the the T's are slotted into 1x1 modified bricks with holes on all sides.

Thanks!

I didn't realize that the T-Bars would "fit" the cross shaped technic pieces. :)

51 minutes ago, protostar8 said:

Opinion Time...

Which looks better, the bigger or smaller Super Ostrich backpack parts?

Super Parts Comparison 01.PNG

Hmm, well you do have a few other options as well:

Big

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=43121#T=S&C=4&O={"color":4}

Medium

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41531pb007R#T=C&C=4

Smaller, but longer

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30360#T=S&C=4&O={"color":4}

But I do think the smaller of the 2 options you are considering there is the better looking one.  I would also consider using the dome you have on the larger booster on the smaller version, that or a white cone.

17 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Hmm, well you do have a few other options as well:

Big

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=43121#T=S&C=4&O={"color":4}

Medium

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41531pb007R#T=C&C=4

Smaller, but longer

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30360#T=S&C=4&O={"color":4}

But I do think the smaller of the 2 options you are considering there is the better looking one.  I would also consider using the dome you have on the larger booster on the smaller version, that or a white cone.

Two more options I made.  So which of the 4 look the best to you guys?  

Super Parts Comparison 06.PNG

Super Parts Comparison 05.PNG

Super Parts Comparison 04.PNG

Super Parts Comparison 03.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, spanner said:

That's a lot of chrome! Wasn't aware some of them bricks came in chrome. Very pretty.  I need to get my legoideas account sorted out.  Signed up with one email address, that strangely got locked out back when it was cuusoo, and now can't log in to update the account details, else I would have voted for the Voltron already.

5 hours ago, Mazinger said:

I need to get my legoideas account sorted out.  Signed up with one email address, that strangely got locked out back when it was cuusoo, and now can't log in to update the account details, else I would have voted for the Voltron already.

I have the exact same issue with my account. 

Stupid thing is they still send out the emails to me each week, but try and sign in and they say there is no account registered to the email address. Try and register again and they say there is already and account registered

WTF.

Mazinger, Big F, here's the link to LEGO's customer service https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/?domainredir=service.lego.com

Hopefully you can get some resolution for your accounts.

As for Ideas, I did support the Voltron project and vehemently hope it gets realized as a set. Moreover, I hope it opens the door to more anime licenses (they've already done Speed Racer, short lived as it was). Whether or not you liked the movie (I did-guilty pleasure), the sets were rather well done overall. I'd say they were a seed for the current Speed Champions line. It also hearkens back to the Exo-Force sets, which sought to capture the anime look and feel, although many of those mecha sets felt very anemic. With all the new parts, I'd love to see them do E-F 2 at some point. Based on reports from Toy Fair, the Ninjago Movie sets slated to release later this year feature a number of cool mecha and sci-fi ships. Looking forward to them.

Is that Porsche actually chrome or just the effect of the photo? although its not an actual photo but a digital rendition yes? Either way the Porsche looks mighty cool eh!

Also, I just tested my log in details and it works fine no issues. I wonder if its a problem at their end which is usually the case in these circumstances..

I'd say the Porsche is definitely a render, but they might be using a type of pearly silver color for the main body pieces.

I need to get my digital designer software back running and see if I can finish my 1/32 VF-19.. I had the dimensions and such all planned out, and was basically building a direct lego copy of the Yamato 1/60, with pretty much everything working.  Unfortunately, a lot of elements it would need just flat out don't exist yet, like versions of the AT-AT knee joints that have axial attachments, instead of lever arms.  Would be really easy for them to make, too.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd say the Porsche is definitely a render, but they might be using a type of pearly silver color for the main body pieces.

I need to get my digital designer software back running and see if I can finish my 1/32 VF-19.. I had the dimensions and such all planned out, and was basically building a direct lego copy of the Yamato 1/60, with pretty much everything working.  Unfortunately, a lot of elements it would need just flat out don't exist yet, like versions of the AT-AT knee joints that have axial attachments, instead of lever arms.  Would be really easy for them to make, too.

QFT. The joint you describe here, and a sister joint to mate with 47455, are high on my want list. They would be easy for LEGO to make, and enormously useful.

Anyway, I wish you every success with your VF-19. I've seen pics of your earlier attempts to build a VF-1, and that was an impressive model. Despite LEGO's inherent limitations, I hope you're able to move forward with your project. Best wishes!

Heh, well my workspace is fairly well taken up by other projects at the moment, but someday I hope to.  The 1/18th one needed a massive rebuild to be workable, but the arms were probably my favorite mechanism I've ever built.

The VF-19 might have gotten farther than this, but this is all I can find for screenshots.  The digital designer wasn't meant for such complicated stuff, so testing out the transformation got really tricky.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2012 at 8:10 PM, Chronocidal said:

post-907-0-26991000-1335496144_thumb.jpg

Well I ended creating a new LEGO ideas account. Voted for Voltron and a few others. I'm actually a member of the LA LEGO user's group and saw a fully transforming Voltron one of the members built. AFAIK, he is not the person behind the ideas submission. Seeing that built I'm now on a mission to build all the things I really liked or wanted as a kid, hence my recent Mospeada stuff. 

@Chronocidal wow! That's a big MOC. I notice that you are not using any of the curved slopes or wedges. Is your design goal for it to be visibly LEGO  - i.e. no curvy parts?

Edited by Mazinger

Chronocidal- that's a lovely start on the VF-19, immediately recognizable.  As for your comment concerning LDD's limitations when dealing with a lot of moving parts/transformation systems, I'm so very, very aware. I really wish they'd redesign the hinge and hinge alignment tools. The first is frustrating, the latter nigh useless in my experience.

Mazinger- Glad to hear you supported Voltron, although it's probably moot at this point, as it's currently being reviewed by the Ideas Team. I doubt additional votes have impact at this stage, but you never know. As for the creator of the Ideas Voltron, he is a Philippine national named Leandro Tayag, currently residing in Malaysia.

Thanks, I'm really hoping to figure out some fancy methods to get the shape of the VF-19 correct, and keep about 90% of the Yamato transformation mechanisms intact.  What I do remember about what I'd finished was that the entire forward fuselage mechanism works, minus the cockpit rotation.  The opening cockpit might still be possible, but I don't really like the available options for clear canopies. 

Aside from that, the fuselage shortening joint is built-in, the nose cone and underside flap both fold down, and the small angled plates ahead of the 2x2 black plate fold in to form the underside of the chest, just like the Yamato.  The 2x2 black plates are actually pivots that allow the leading edge plates to fold back behind the hips.  I was really thrilled to see that the proportions of the 1/60 VF-19 translate almost directly to whole numbers of studs when scaled up 2x to 1/30.

Anyway, as far as the body shape goes, I'll admit, I don't generally like the way curved bricks and slopes work, because they rarely result in a correct shape.  They can be useful, but I'm going for accurate shape over anything else, and while they work nicely for the nose sensors, layering bunches of sloped and curved panels generally winds up looking like a mess of disconnected slopes and curves.  For accurate surface contours, you really can't beat layering plates of various angles.

Like, I absolutely love the UCS Slave I, and the curved plates on the upper half of the body work nicely to make a smoothly contoured surface, but the lower end is a sloppy, layered mess, and I think it would have been improved greatly if they hadn't tried to half-ass the shape with so many shapes that don't form any kind of continuous surface.  I think it would have been much better if they'd just built the entire lower half out of layers of curved and angled plates, or even just stacked rows of single-stud-wide slopes side by side along the curvature to get the right shape.  All those quarter-round plates just stick out horribly to me.

slave1lego.thumb.jpg.c23113725ba3dbe7ec265af69f1bc2be.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

"Like, I absolutely love the UCS Slave I, and the curved plates on the upper half of the body work nicely to make a smoothly contoured surface, but the lower end is a sloppy, layered mess, and I think it would have been improved greatly if they hadn't tried to half-ass the shape with so many shapes that don't form any kind of continuous surface.  I think it would have been much better if they'd just built the entire lower half out of layers of curved and angled plates, or even just stacked rows of single-stud-wide slopes side by side along the curvature to get the right shape.  All those quarter-round plates just stick out horribly to me."

Jeez, that is ugly.  The more I work on various MOCs, the more I find myself thinking about what an "advanced" LEGO type building system would look like, were there might be less and smaller studs in general, while allowing for any and all angles.  Then you could have any variety of greebles that could be layered on top of the basic polygons.  Sort of the inverse of what the system is now, instead of studs on top, plates would have holes, maybe axle shaped, spaced out, and axles protruding from the bottom to plug into the lower layers.

What's killing me now more than anything else is the lack of all the pieces I want in all the colors I want, though.

Well, depending on how LEGO purist you guys are, Mega-Bloks sets these days offer some nice alternative parts, as they tend to craft special parts specific to some sets, including some contoured parts. Moreover, they make plates with studs on both sides (so, so useful- extremely high on my LEGO want list), as well as a lot of other specialized bricks with different stud alignments, shapes, slopes, etc that LEGO hasn't made. I haven't brought myself to use MB parts in a LEGO MOC yet, but I've been tempted.  For anyone on the fence whether to buy a Mega-Bloks set, I'd highly recommend their Call of Duty Harrier set or the CoD AH-64 Apache set. I have both, and I love them. The overall quality is good, much improved since Mattel bought Mega-Brands. Parts-wise, the Harrier set is a treasure trove of specialized parts with studs going in different directions. It makes me wish there was a Bricklink for Mega-Bloks, or that Bricklink would start selling MB parts.

12 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Moreover, they make plates with studs on both sides (so, so useful- extremely high on my LEGO want list), as well as a lot of other specialized bricks with different stud alignments, shapes, slopes, etc that LEGO hasn't made.

<Mazinger: Yes!> 

I've been tempted.

<Mazinger: My LEGO puristness is strong, but my will is weak>

It makes me wish there was a Bricklink for Mega-Bloks, or that Bricklink would start selling MB parts.

<Mazinger: Exactly>

I have some eBay searches for the Halo Covenant tanks sets since they have a lot of purple in just the right hue for my Inbits.  I think a couple of people have tried to sell Mega Bock on Bricklink, but for some slightly technical/legalistic reason, those were shut down. 

I fail to see the difference between selling a set on Ebay and selling it piecemeal on sites like Bricklink and Brickowl. Either way, the seller purchased the set; what does it matter the manner in which it is resold so long as the parts are properly identified with the brand?  I was under the impression that most folks buying LEGO by the part are generally too purist to even consider muddying the LEGO waters with some Mega Bloks, even if the parts in question are highly useful and not produced by LEGO, thus the lack of interest. Personally, I'd consider using those plates with studs on top and bottom, and a few others as well.

AND, since I could not find anyone doing up a ATAC-01-SCA Spartas/Veritech Hovertank, I had to do one up as well. Comes w/ extra parts for Yellow "Generic" Veriant, and space gear. Pilots are Dana Sterling, and Louis Nickles:

ATAC000.jpg

ATAC001.JPG

ATAC002.JPG

ATAC003.JPG

ATAC004.JPG

ATAC005.JPG

ATAC006.JPG

ATAC007.JPG

ATAC008.JPG

ATAC009.JPG

ATAC010.JPG

ATAC011.JPG