Legos, anyone?

danth

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, nice find Wm Cheng.  That's  a gorgeous model.

I wish LEGO models such as this and their creators got more attention in the mainstream media, as it not only shines a light on the artistry involved, but also helps mitigate the stigma that LEGO is just a toy, which I believe deters some folks from delving into the hobby. Granted there are far more adults in the hobby than most would suspect, but we are still relatively few in any given population.

9 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Wow, nice find Wm Cheng.  That's  a gorgeous model.

I wish LEGO models such as this and their creators got more attention in the mainstream media, as it not only shines a light on the artistry involved, but also helps mitigate the stigma that LEGO is just a toy, which I believe deters some folks from delving into the hobby. Granted there are far more adults in the hobby than most would suspect, but we are still relatively few in any given population.

I wished LEGO was more a toy, its all the adult hoarders that have priced me out of some of my "holy grail" sets (UCS Millennium Falcon at $8K was just ridiculous!)  Too many adults buy up the bigger more complicated sets and hoard them away without ever cracking the seals as "investments" - also I find it hard to "break apart" the hundreds of dollar sets to use as parts for my own creations.  If everything was more available and cheaper (if they were treated more like toys) I would be able to experiment more and build my own creations.  Luckily there have been more and more Chinese knock-off companies like Lepin that have brought clones of some discontinued sets at reasonable prices (I finally have a UCS Millennium Falcon from them and its amazing!) 

Lego should be built and taken apart and re-built into something different, not kept in boxes!

I fall on both sides of that coin, as I buy a lot of sets, build them, and store them back in their boxes (b/c  I like the sets), as well as buying sets or Bricklinking parts for MOCing. I don't buy sets as a financial investment, although I do have a number of unopened sets that I've bought over the years for parts and have just never opened. No plans to sell them, though.

I agree with your sentiment about the adult hoarders who sell toys at exorbitant prices out of pure greed; they greatly diminish the enjoyment of collecting within any given hobby, prohibitively so in some cases, i.e. the UCS Millennium Falcon. Over the years, I've been slowly acquiring 80's and early 90's era LEGO Space sets, and I've been gouged here and there, so I definitely empathize.

3 hours ago, mog_kupo said:

Well, the UCS sets are aimed at adults, I dont think its that common for a 6 year old get a $400 dollars set, I mean, it can happen but they are not their main target

In the beginning, yes, but a number of UCS sets that have been released have been playsets, much like the Death Stars (10188, 75159), the Ewok Village (10236), and the Assault on Hoth (75098), to name a few. They are expensive playsets, but playsets nonetheless, and the building techniques employed are similar to what you'd find in a standard System set.  I'd imagine LEGO started releasing these sorts of sets under the UCS banner as a way to make playsets that would ordinarily be too large or ambitious in a standard sized set, the largest of which usually come in at 2000 pieces or below and top out around $150 on the shelf.  I personally don't take issue with it (I love my Death Star), but I'd imagine there are still some AFOLs out there who'd prefer the entire line be geared towards a more mature builder with greater experience and disposable income than the standard kid.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Well, the AFOLS make up for less than 10% of the total sales according to several Lego magazines, so its kinda hard to focus only on them

More on topic, I just got the Kwik-E-Mart for around $120 bucks, here in Mexico is hard to find any discount on Lego and even less a "good" discount

• 3 weeks later...

A few summer LEGO Batman Movie sets have been revealed, including a nice looking Batwing.  http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/01/30/summer-wave-lego-batman-movie-sets-revealed-news/#more-84962

I still wish they'd release a set of the LEGO Movie Batwing, but all things being equal, the Batman Movie Batwing gets the job done. Looking forward to getting all these sets.

Decided to take a stab at an Inbit using what I've learned recently from messing around with Bionicle and CCBS system parts.  I'd consider this a version 1.0. Sadly the parts I want to use are not available in Purple, Dark Blue was the closest fit:

32578063922_61b1e0fb8e_n.jpg32351621400_ccddd7fc13_n.jpg

32351617880_47543e6f2b_n.jpg

Some more finished pics of my version 2.0 Spartas and Bioroid:

32607899171_7c3405c3a5_m.jpg32731427455_a80171f2c7_m.jpg32731247335_0de1148082_m.jpg

Edited by Mazinger

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Excellent work by the builder. I wonder if it transforms.

A comment on the Facebook post implies it does! That's gotta be a bit nerve racking. Good thing you can always just slap LEGO back together.

19 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Some more work-in-progress MOCs to share.  All the rain in Southern California has kept me from surfing, which has made me a little crabby. LEGO has been my outlet.

I'm Eager to show these off:

32716461522_f67907f1d2_n.jpg

32716460942_6568122370_n.jpg

32027071464_0c47c6dd54_n.jpg

These are incredible Mazinger!  And they at least look to be in scale with each other too!

1 hour ago, mickyg said:

These are incredible Mazinger!  And they at least look to be in scale with each other too!

Thanks!

I will be making improvements as I get more parts in. That and time are really the limiting factors.

Some of my techniques are 'illegal' in that they put more stress on the parts used than The LEGO Group advises.

Images for the Lego display from Toy Fair 2017: http://news.toyark.com/2017/02/18/toy-fair-2017-lego-collection-display-240542

Sadly now images for new Star Wars sets yet. I hope the reveal a new Lego X-Wing from Rogue One that would go well with the new Y-Wing and A-Wing from this year as well as the new B-Wing from a few years ago.

56 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Images for the Lego display from Toy Fair 2017: http://news.toyark.com/2017/02/18/toy-fair-2017-lego-collection-display-240542

Sadly now images for new Star Wars sets yet. I hope the reveal a new Lego X-Wing from Rogue One that would go well with the new Y-Wing and A-Wing from this year as well as the new B-Wing from a few years ago.

Interesting, the Friends blimp set seems to have a a curved purple windscreen for the bottom of the gondola.  I use these for my Gurab, but they haven't been available in purple.  The Friends line really has increased the color pallet and I gotta say I'm much more a fan of the "doll" style minifigs.

The Nexo purple mech also ads more purple.  I might just get a purple Lego gurab form these parts in the future at some point then.  I have been considering getting some used Mega Blok Halo stuff, but really would rather not.  The mech's fingers are made our of a new type of slope piece I haven't seen before.  Always good to get new Lego elements.

EDIT: Should have said, Elves, instead of Friends, but both lines were introduced close to each other.

Edited by Mazinger

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

IMG_2570.JPG.a56bd41ce1e125b5dd4ed0ac6a8fa672.JPG

Coming from Plastic Cretins.  Pretty cool.

This is from Exo, right? That is awesome. Wonder how much it will be.

Also, as I wonder if there's anyway of getting a Friends-style mini doll version. 

So, I finally got ahold of a set of 4 3x3 quarter domes recently, and will probably go about finally modding my UCS Imperial Shuttle the way I've always wanted.  Mostly, replacing the wedge-shaped nose with a more subtle slope of layered plates, and modding the engine area to look like the original.  (Not mine, but it's apparently a popular fix.)

shuttleengine.thumb.jpg.27b5fe746d458ecb66a69fa9dc1b7388.jpg

Just have to dig the shuttle out of storage, and figure out how to reshape that nose section...

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

So, I finally got ahold of a set of 4 3x3 quarter domes recently, and will probably go about finally modding my UCS Imperial Shuttle the way I've always wanted.  Mostly, replacing the wedge-shaped nose with a more subtle slope of layered plates, and modding the engine area to look like the original.  (Not mine, but it's apparently a popular fix.)

Just have to dig the shuttle out of storage, and figure out how to reshape that nose section...

Nice, yeah not sure why TLG didn't got with that design in the first place on this UCS set.

I try to design my MOCs to use the least number of parts that get's closest to the line art/spec, but that's, trying to keep my bricklink spending down.

My latest (near complete) MOC.  Coming up with those legs took some thought.  Actually, I think it might be my best work yet.

Still need to source some more green parts - the thick round circles that make up the missile bubbles are not cheap, few bricklink stores have a pair for under $3 each!

33113270302_2e768773dc_n.jpg

33113305872_7a36a27e5d_n.jpg