Legos, anyone?

danth

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Nice mod- much more accurate to the real thing. I imagine the designers may have gone with something like this, but I think once they got to a certain point, they were shooting for the 1969 parts count, and this would have put them over. This is also, to date, the largest Ideas set, but it sets a nice precedent.  While your design mirrors the real fins, aesthetically, I kinda like the stock fins in the set. Herein lies the beauty of LEGO-always mod-able.

Eight more days til I get to open my copy. Looking forward to it.

I like the thinner fins as well, so I might go with angled plates (and make some tiles with the lettering even), but the original Ideas submission actually used a more complicated fairing structure, and 4x1 tails mounted on centering plates, so the finished kit is a much simpler solution. 

I'm still waiting on shipping for my sets, but I'll play around a bit more with fin ideas in the meantime.  Another option would be the 3x2 base biplane tails, which are closer in overall shape, but have a rounded tip.

s-l225.jpeg.b3da0a196201708864052715a4e64cbe.jpeg

These would have the right rear overhang distance, and mount the same way as the stock fins, but they might not looks as good, and might even be a bit too large.

Those destroids are awesome, looks like they have really nice posability and size.  As silly as a lot of the recent product lines have been, they have produced an abundance of useful elements for mech joints.

Edited by Chronocidal

The Mixel ball and socket joints were the last new joints to be produced, and they've been around for about 3-4 years now. There are a number of joints I wish they'd make, though. I'd love a mate for part 47455, and ratcheted Technic ball and socket joints (similar to Zoob). A horizontal ratcheting rotation joint, similar to the AT-AT leg joints (parts 44224 and 44225) would be stupendously useful for mech builders.  These are the top three wants for me, but I'm sure there are many more joints that folks want LEGO to produce.

On this subject, though, when I was looking at the upcoming Kai's Fire Mech from the Ninjago Movie, the hip joint looked like a combo of the Exo Force clicky and half of the AT-AT leg joint. It's hard to see, and I'm highly likely mistaken, but that'd be a nice adaptation if so.

That Glaug is delicious. I so wish mecha were more popular here in the US, or that I lived closer to an area where it has this kind of popularity. Most years, I attend BrickCon, a large fan-run LEGO convention in Seattle, and there's a mecha section, but it's generally diminutive in comparison to just about every other theme there. I take my VF-4, but it generally falls under the radar b/c most Americans haven't a clue what it is, well that and it's usually overshadowed by truly amazing mecha by the likes of Mark Neumann and Brian Cooper. That's a shadow I'm happy to bask in, though-those guys are amazing.

Edited by M'Kyuun

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So I guess it was only a matter of time before this happened, but I'm scared at what the cost might be to build a similar display.

img32_1739.thumb.jpg.06525fee3295770c83a1754f01e5d2cc.jpg

This thing is making me wish they would make a correctly proportioned shuttle in the same scale.

OMG!!! I would be in heaven.  Please I hope it gets made into a kit.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So I guess it was only a matter of time before this happened, but I'm scared at what the cost might be to build a similar display.

img32_1739.thumb.jpg.06525fee3295770c83a1754f01e5d2cc.jpg

This thing is making me wish they would make a correctly proportioned shuttle in the same scale.

OMG!!! that looks bonkers awesome!!! :shok:

Been browsing around the Ideas website, and there are several current proposals that would either go along with, or expand the Saturn V, including a 3-in-1 Skylab kit that can be replace the upper stage of the released set, a NASA Crawler platform, and in-scale Mercury and Gemini rockets.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7d001367-12e0-473e-aee5-e6af83e4e6a6

I don't know how likely the smaller rockets are to get support, since they're really simple, but the development comments on the Skylab looks like it would make a really fun little build, around 400 parts.  The development blog shows a full test build mounted on the Saturn V kit, as well as potential design for a Saturn IB booster stage to mount the Apollo 11 upper stage on, and give you an Apollo 7 launch configuration. :)

Thanks!  Just supported them.  Couldn't find the Saturn 1B though, I'd totally get that to go alongside the Saturn V.  But man, that crawler with launch pad and tower is amazing.

Hmm the Lego Ideas site is pretty low on ideas compared to the MOCs - too bad there weren't more MOCs in the Lego Ideas site to be made into actual kits.

45 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks!  Just supported them.  Couldn't find the Saturn 1B though, I'd totally get that to go alongside the Saturn V.  But man, that crawler with launch pad and tower is amazing.

The IB was just a side note on the developer's notes for the Skylab set.  They're not really suggesting it as a separate submission, but they said once they can test build it, they'll make the instructions available.  It's mostly just a replacement display base for the upper stage of the Saturn V, so you have somewhere to put it if you mount the Skylab payload on the larger rocket.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Hmm the Lego Ideas site is pretty low on ideas compared to the MOCs - too bad there weren't more MOCs in the Lego Ideas site to be made into actual kits.

From what I understand, the big difference is with the licensing. The LEGO ideas guidelines page goes into a lot of detail on what makes an ideas set, and how a set is accepted and licensed. 

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines#what_is_a_project

Of particular note is the rule that new ideas sets cannot be based on licensed sets that the LEGO group is currently selling or other ideas that were previously accepted. MOCs are not restricted in this way, which is a relief. I really like the MOCs that I've found that improve on retail LEGO sets.

Hmm, that might be pushing it a bit with the Skylab set then, though it does make a relatively stand alone model, even if it is compatible with the Saturn V set.  It's clearly based on the construction methods of the Saturn V though, so I wonder how likely it would be to get approved, even with the required supporters.

Either way though, I intend to get the parts to make that Skylab stage, and build it up myself. ^_^

I wonder if the 50th anniversary would be enough momentum to get a full-blown mini-fig-ish scale CSM/LEM set approved..

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I wonder if this is overdoing it a little... but as long as I've got unlimited pieces in the digital designer.. :p595c861db5473_ss(2017-07-04at11_23.43).png.8e6c2027adf2841d98613df7e623877b.png

What is it going to be?

I was introduced to more of what the Lego Dimensions sets have recently, and was shocked to discover just how many franchises they have pulled in.

As for the nozzle.. I'm hoping I can build that into a Cosmo Zero from 2199, but the structure might not hold up in real life.

I'm hoping to go see the new LEGO House in Billund when they're done with construction (dream vacation for me); I hope the archive is open to public, but I doubt it. I could spend hours in there, drooling. I have an extensive collection, but there are still a number of old Space themed sets that I'd like to get. I wish I'd started trying to collect them years ago before they really blew up in value.

I finally got to build my Saturn V today. What a beauty. There are some amazing techniques employed to effect the cylindrical shape, and it's both light and solid when complete. Damned fine job, LEGO Designers.

I wouldn't fret; LEGO have said that it will remain in production into 2018; I think they were a little overwhelmed by initial sales, but it seems to be a runaway hit thus far. If it sells well, and continues to do so, I'm thinking LEGO may extend its shelf life a bit. 

I'm hoping that the Voltron Ideas set will be a go. If they get a license for Voltron, then that'll open the doors to other versions, esp the Netflix one. I'm down for that.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, sh9000 said:

I just discovered a Michael Knight minifigure and will be sure to get one.

Then I'm just going to make sure you're aware of THE A-TEAM set:

LEGO-Dimensions-A-Team-71251-Team-Pack-e

And yes, I'm very much hoping for the Voltron set to be approved.  Though I think it'd look better if they used their "pearl silver" plastic, instead of just "normal light grey".  (yes, silver-painted or chromed parts would be even better, but there's no way they'd do that many parts like that----silver painted parts are kinda rare, and chromed is REALLY rare----there's no way they'd do all those bricks and plates in any of the "fancy" silver colors---pearl silver-grey is the only realistic option for a "metallic" effect) 

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Just got shipping confirmation for my Saturn V sets, so I'm breathing a little easier.  I need to leave one boxed until my birthday in August, but I might build the other in secret. ^_^

In secret, you do know it's like five foot tall, or do you have a secret bunker. LOL

Heheh, the deal is that one is intended as a birthday present from my family, so I'll be transporting it with me when I go to visit, and building it there so they can see it. 

The other one can stay in my apartment. :D 

Edited by Chronocidal

OMG!!!  I'm in the same place in my life too.  Its going to get expensive.  Love that Milano and AT AT!  You are bad for my daughter's post secondary education :p

8 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

OMG!!!  I'm in the same place in my life too.  Its going to get expensive.  Love that Milano and AT AT!  You are bad for my daughter's post secondary education :p

:lol: I didn't do it.

They do look fantastic, don't they? I already have parts on the way for the AT-AT because I couldn't bring myself to pay the aftermarket price for the retired 75054 set. The Milano will be my next project. I figure if I can't wait, I'll pick up the small retail Milano since I need the minifigures anyway.