Legos, anyone?

danth

5 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

That minifig scale Swordfish is awesome. Best I've seen, and I've seen a few.

I'm going to order the instructions today and then will start slowly collecting the parts on Bricklink since it appears to have some pricey pieces. I am so far behind when it comes to modern LEGO design, and I enjoy picking up new sets and interesting MOCs to learn how designers get the bricks to work this way and that. Also, I already have Sentinel's figure and I think having this MOC to place side by side in a comparison would be a fun review.

Speaking of new sets, did anyone else pre-order the Technic Lambo? I did. I missed out on the LEGO Destiny's Bounty set (which is considerably cheaper) but is now out of stock. The Lambo is already on backorder and I enjoy both the Creator Expert and Technic super cars, so I jumped in. LEGO had me with the red calipers. I can already see Bugs Bunny shaking his head at me and saying, What a maroon! :p 

Edited by technoblue

I thought about it for a skinny minute, as I like the look of the Sian, and Lamborghinis in general, but I don't have the space for it, and I don't feel like paying that much for a kit that I'll build, roll around for a day or two, and then pack up and store away. As much as I enjoy building them, and the realistic features they have, I buy few Technic sets. The last one I bought was the Mack Anthem, and the next one I intend to buy is the Osprey set, which has been announced, but no pics have been shown thus far (except, perhaps, leaks, which I haven't seen). I'm not a car guy, per se, so I don't feel a strong need to get these car models. I think they're masterful models, but my tendency in the car genre is towards the Speed Champions, especially now that they've switched to 8-stud wide models, allowing for much more accurate shaping and details. They're much easier on the wallet and take up a fraction of the space as well. And, they're minifig scale, which is cool.

Technoblue, all my best to you for sourcing the parts and building your Swordfish. Once you get her all put together, you'll have to do a little show & tell, without revealing too many of its building techniques (the original builder sells the instructions and deserves to have his secrets kept just so). More importantly, have fun- that's what it's all about.

With my boys home for a lot longer than we all anticipated, I got this to build with them:

20200610_200516_copy_2145x1310_copy_1072x655_copy_536x328.jpg.2b074c08ca3bc61b77c4fd5b578e953b.jpg

But this one is just for Daddy :p:20200610_200450_copy_1328x747_copy_664x374_copy_584x374.jpg.745a006cfb2a3a0eef8542152d01dc54.jpg

Overall, the Huey has good proportions, I just have to tinker with the front windscreen area to shrink it down a stud height or two. Maybe I'll add some rocket launchers and machine guns too.

I decided to catch up on the Creator Expert cars I missed out on, got these two in. I'm grabbing the VW Camper and Mini Cooper next, last Expert vehicle I'll be missing is the London Bus, but I don't know if I even want that set.

IMG_20200615_154717982.thumb.jpg.e52a172d9039a0a7a4f210a90eaac3a8.jpg

IMG_20200615_154743288.thumb.jpg.304b8c32af94c2fbe4007a92009559e5.jpg

IMG_20200616_160738152.thumb.jpg.950ec2a6e493ad86de0cbd5597f256ca.jpg

IMG_20200616_160802296.thumb.jpg.95c0a0657a4fe7ec05f933c7a31d859c.jpg

2020 summer Technic sets.

Late summer Star Wars.

The Osprey is a definite purchase for me. I'm also thinking about that Volvo dump truck.  Like a lot of the large RC Technic models of late, it's controlled through an app, and I'm not sure if it comes with an in-box control mechanism. I don't own a cell phone or a tablet, so if I bought it, I'm not sure how I'd control it. It's a first world dilemma, but one with merit.

7 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

2020 summer Technic sets.

Late summer Star Wars.

The Osprey is a definite purchase for me. I'm also thinking about that Volvo dump truck.  Like a lot of the large RC Technic models of late, it's controlled through an app, and I'm not sure if it comes with an in-box control mechanism. I don't own a cell phone or a tablet, so if I bought it, I'm not sure how I'd control it. It's a first world dilemma, but one with merit.

Super disappointed that there is no OT Tie Interceptor based on the red Rebels set. Oh well maybe once the Rebels set is retired.

Someone over at TFW mentioned that there are rumors about a new UCS Imperial Shuttle. 
If true I’m super excited. Hope it is gray and not white and has a rounded cockpit shape.

You guys have been talking about the Osprey for a while so it is nice to finally see it. It didn’t disappoint either! I’ll likely get that. Nothing of any interest in the Star Wars sets and that STUPID spoiler warning was WAY overdone in that link. It just oversold what was at the end by a mile.  Jeeze way to over play a joke. :rolleyes:

Chris

The Star Wars sets are rather disappointing. I like the Eta Class Jedi Interceptor, in fact it's one of my favorite Prequel designs, but I already have a  bunch of them from over the years, so no real urgency. The AAT is a new design for an old vehicle, and it comes with Ahsoka and an Ahsoka trooper, so I'm down for one. Def down for the new AT-AT, although the legs look a bit  too skinny to me.  Grievous' ship is a redesign, but I think the 2010 set looked better, and it came with a little repair chair for Grievous (as well as a Mon Calamari padawan that got wacked). Might be good for parts, though.  The Knights of Ren ship is new and ok, even if does transport the most pointless characters from Rise of Skywalker. I'll probably get it just b/c it's new, black, and admittedly, the KoR figs look cool. Is it me, or were there almost no notable original designs to come out of the last three SW Episodes? For a franchise known for cool sci-fi designs and inevitable toy fodder, the last three films were sorely lacking, which is poignant evidence of Lucas' non-involvement. The guy can't write dialog for sh!t, but he sure has an eye for visual candy. I digress. 

The Resistance I-TS Transport is an odd, but interesting choice, as it's the first set that I'm aware of made from a park ride design. It looks a bit derivative from the Blockade Runner, but it's something new. Lots of blue and grey- good fodder for Classic Space stuff.  Yum!

And yeah, for all the exhaustive work put into that Advent calendar spoiler, it's about as underwhelming as usual. One can only do so much with micro-builds. They're fun, but ultimately forgettable. Some of the Christmas themed figs are cool, though. Just the same, as usual, I'll likely skip it.

I'm hoping the UCS Imperial Shuttle rumor is true, and, while I don't know about grey, I hope the nose section has that distinctive curved shape and recessed grill at the front. The nose design of the previous UCS Shuttle was the main reason I skipped it- just didn't look right. I love the Imperial Shuttle design, so I'm hoping, if the rumor's true, the design will be more accurate. It'd also be nice if they improve the wing fold mechanism, and put at least a partial interior in the back for Vader and a few Stormies, or even the Emperor himself.

I would prefer a bunch of rebel soldiers in their Endor camouflage gear. ^_^

Now that I’m thinking about it, why not both; the Emperor and Vader and the rebels.

Edited by Scyla

• 2 weeks later...

That AC-130 is an impressive build, but a little too exorbitant for my wallet.

That DS9 is also very impressive. I wonder if he has a steel frame in there to support the weight, as LEGO itself tends to buckle.  Anyway, kudos to the builder. Those curves are difficult to pull off, and he did it very smoothly. Looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm impressed by how the LEGO designers have taken the Nintendo license to a completely new level of abstraction by using bricks to actually simulate a connected system. I like the scrolling mechanism it employs, and the cartridge gimmick is so very much on point. I wouldn't mind getting it as a gift for someone into its retro design.  

It's a cute package. Not really for me, but very impressive all the same.

LEGO has the Osprey on their site, set for release in Sept. I didn’t know it had motorized gimmicks like retractable landing gear and cargo ramp! It looks AWESOME!

Chris

I'm absolutely in for a Lego Nintendo, looks fantastic, I'm really interested in seeing how they got that crank to "animate" the game on the screen. Solid price too, at 2,600 pieces I expected $300, $230, for me, is very doable.

Watching the motorized functions reminds me of the Cargo Plane they did a few years back. Excellent set.  I'm totally looking forward to this Osprey set- they did a great job on it. I think I'll be scanning that sticker sheet- pretty useful looking stickers.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm betting on a tank-tread mechanism inside the TV, or some kind of conveyor belt.

Might have to check out the Osprey soon as well, and see how hard it would be to rebuild it in a nice military gray. :lol:

I believe you're correct, based on a very similar MOC I've seen. I think he did a different game, but the idea's the same. If this is an IDEAS set, it may just be the same fellow. Anyway, the effect is really neat. It's definitely a crowd pleaser at conventions.

I've never been a Nintendo fan, so no interest here, but as an idea for a set that has both excellent modeling (can't even tell that Nintendo's LEGO until you see it up close), and very clever implementation of a mechanical function, it's a great way to celebrate the popularity of Nintendo in a unique way.

Love the 'Lo-Tech' logo on the bottom of the console tv. :lol:   The tv does look like a fun build- it's a great function. Actually, the whole set looks like it would be fun to build; I'm just not interested in Nintendo. I hope that side-scroll function finds its way into a smaller set. It would be perfect in a theatre set.

Maybe they could put it into a Creator Expert building and since they already did a cinema maybe it could be a ballet/opera style building.

But it would be a prime feature for a CE cinema. Maybe a revamp of the old one.

Edited by Scyla

The LEGO Osprey 42113, set to release 1 August, has been cancelled by TLG, citing their internal policy to not produce sets based on modern military vehicles. 

The cancellation is addressed on The Brothers Brick, including a statement from TLG.

Although I understand their stance, regardless, this is a very disappointing decision, as I was very much anticipating this set. I'm an ardent fan of the Osprey, and this was something of a dream set, as I never imagined a licensed set would be produced. It has, but few copies will likely get sold, as LEGO will likely issue a recall. Sad news indeed.

Edited by M'Kyuun

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Lego Osprey may be canceled.:mellow:

Sadly, it's official. The current speculation is that the licensing did it in, but I'm just beside myself since it appears very strange how it all went down. If TLG was going to hold firm on their "no military vehicles" rule, one would think that this would have been cut from the line up early in the design phase before all the marketing and advertising, and well before the set was posted on their shop at home site as a "coming soon" order.

The idea that TLG wanted to highlight the rescue capabilities of this unique aircraft in Technic seems sound to me, and not at all contrary to their mission statement. Unfortunately, I guess those who are set against seeing it released have louder voices. Oh well. :(

Edited by technoblue
stuff

19 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Sadly, it's official. The current speculation is that the licensing did it in, but I'm just beside myself since it appears very strange how it all went down. If TLG was going to hold firm on their "no military vehicles" rule, one would think that this would have been cut from the line up early in the design phase before all the marketing and advertising, and well before the set was posted on their shop at home site as a "coming soon" order.

That's what got to me as well. If they were so ardent with their "no military vehicles" rule, how did the production of this kit have gotten so far?

While I get their reasoning, I also disagree with it, considering all the other times they've bent their own rules to release nearly military vehicles, or historical recreations of military content.  

This is entirely consistent with their treatment of the various IDEAS submissions though, where no matter if they have a civilian use, military-related stuff is pretty well torpedoed from the start.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

While I get their reasoning, I also disagree with it, considering all the other times they've bent their own rules to release nearly military vehicles, or historical recreations of military content.  

This is entirely consistent with their treatment of the various IDEAS submissions though, where no matter if they have a civilian use, military-related stuff is pretty well torpedoed from the start.

It isn’t consistent, though. This project wasn’t torpedoed from the start like an IDEAS set. It was developed, marketed, and since we already have a designer video in the wild I would hazard a guess that some boxed sets have already been manufactured. 

TLG is doing an about face because it received harsh criticism. I do think the protests are healthy discourse, but I also think TLG is being too reactionary in its response to them. Imagine if they received the same criticism for the real-world space sets and had the same response back then? I mean NASA also has a number of military contracts and military personnel have been included in these programs as pilots, engineers...we’ve see  them on all government-funded NASA spacecraft, the ISS, and even private-funded craft like Space-X. Speaking specifically to the Osprey, this isn‘t the first time TLG released a Coast Guard set either. It seems that it's being singled out for another reason entirely.

Edited by technoblue

Yup, from what it sounded like from the article the criticism came from 1 group. Like everything these days, companies bow to any criticism now as long as it fits a certain criteria, no matter if a majority disagrees with said criticism. “Activism” is out of hand these days. If a certain type of group has a problem, all must kneel. The mob must be satisfied.

Chris

Edited by Dobber