Legos, anyone?

danth

22 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Check out the white angled slopes on the Gibraltar starting with the printed ones just aft of the canopy- new and much desired for achieving a consistent slope along an angle.  

Oh dang, new wedge slopes. Really cool!

Speaking of the UCS Shuttle though, I realized, I never posted up the mod progress shots from last winter. :lol:  I went and bought enough parts to do these mods (I think), and finally am moving into where I might have the workspace to build it.

shuttleengine2.jpg.43577f625de2811e6639f247c2b99ad5.jpgshuttlenose1.jpg.8334f8f24838782e1881850bec01eb1a.jpgshuttlenose2.jpg.94162671ae909ede2c1efe82e08bb537.jpg

Last I checked, I was midway through replacing the entire walls of the hull with tiled plates to get a decently smooth transition between the roof and sides.  Sadly the cockpit area gets too thick if I tile over all of the studs, since the contours of the angled parts get lost.

• 2 weeks later...

I been playing with replacing some missing parts on an old Gakken Mospeada Ride Armor with LEGO approximations so I went a googlin' and turned up this remarkable MOC:

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/438036

14909659481_DISPLAY.jpg

A fully transformable Legioss. I am very impressed.  Tempted to reverse engineer it. 

Alex is one of my favorite builders on MOCPages. He designs a lot of Transformers, and it's a point of pride for him to make them all minifig compatible. His designs tend to be fragile, however, often relying on tentative connections. What his models lack in solidarity they make up in aesthetics and functionality. his Legioss is the best I've seen, and I'm aware of at least two others (Eric Duron and Tyler Clites also have transforming Legioss models floating around on the web).

Mazinger, good luck reverse engineering Alex's Legioss. He has a number of pics showing the internals of the leg and how they collapse, which should help. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

22 hours ago, Mazinger said:

I been playing with replacing some missing parts on an old Gakken Mospeada Ride Armor with LEGO approximations so I went a googlin' and turned up this remarkable MOC:

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/438036

14909659481_DISPLAY.jpg

A fully transformable Legioss. I am very impressed.  Tempted to reverse engineer it. 

Please. Do. 

I had been thinking more about ride armors of late. I’ve been rewatching series with my youngest in English, you know, RT, and the original with my oldest who doesn’t have any issues keeping up with the subtitles and thought, what the heck, I have enough LEGO that I should be able put together something parts-formerish and voila:

Bionicle Mospeada Ride Armor

I didn’t expect to get something as complete as this so soon, but obviously with some better matching parts and a few things reworked, it could be nice. Since it’s using a lot of technic elements, it’s easy to lock things into place. 

So that was my Saturday, motorcycle tooling...

Just wanted to update I got my Lepin UCS Falcon in and built it in one single two day weekend, was madness. I can report not a single piece was missing, and not a single piece was damaged or unusable, I'm REALLY impressed, especially considering the part count. Minifigures are a mixed bag, Han and Leia are great, 3PO and Chewbacca are a bit messy.

Pretty nice quality pieces overall, the only pieces I found to be a bit lacking were the basic technic black cylinder bits or whatever they are, actually the black and blue technic bits were all a bit off, but hold together just fine overall. I'm impressed, I doubt I'll go Lepin for anything new or in stock, but all those retired sets that go for absurd amounts are getting the Lepin treatment. I ordered Vader's Eclipse Super Star Dreadnought, UCS Tie Fighter, and the UCS Red Squadron X-WIng. I've got some more building to look forward to. Also, my stupid ass did not measure how big the Falcon was when built, I am going to have a VERY hard time getting it out of the room I built it in, that doorway is narrow.

LEGO recently won a court case against Lepin to basically C&D production of all sets based on official LEGO products, so you may or may not be able to get those other Lepin sets now. The suit was won in Chinese court, so the Chinese govt is taking action to prevent knockoffs by Lepin and likely other companies who produce LEGO clones.

Anyway, glad the Lepin set went together alright. I've had the LEGO UCS MF since July, but I have no space to build or display it right now, so I'm biding my time. Eventually I'll get to it. There's a British company that makes set-specific display cases, and the one they make for the Falcon is about $200 USD, IIRC. I may have to spring for one once I get the set put together.

23 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

There's a British company that makes set-specific display cases, and the one they make for the Falcon is about $200 USD, IIRC.

Do you have a link for this company?  I'd be interested.  I have the Lepin old UCS Falcon (from a awhile ago) and the new Lego UCS falcon now too, does Lepin make a version of the new UCS Falcon?

43 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

LEGO recently won a court case against Lepin to basically C&D production of all sets based on official LEGO products, so you may or may not be able to get those other Lepin sets now. The suit was won in Chinese court, so the Chinese govt is taking action to prevent knockoffs by Lepin and likely other companies who produce LEGO clones.

Anyway, glad the Lepin set went together alright. I've had the LEGO UCS MF since July, but I have no space to build or display it right now, so I'm biding my time. Eventually I'll get to it. There's a British company that makes set-specific display cases, and the one they make for the Falcon is about $200 USD, IIRC. I may have to spring for one once I get the set put together.

I hadn't heard about this, that's a bit of a bummer. All of my above mentioned sets were one order, and they are already in processing, so I think I'm good. I might have to look in to moving around a bit of money because I also wanted to check out the Lepin UCS Dark Knight Tumbler, if there's a chance Lepin won't be available on AliExpress in the coming future I'm going to drop some money on all the sets I've even been just eye balling.

6 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Do you have a link for this company?  I'd be interested.  I have the Lepin old UCS Falcon (from a awhile ago) and the new Lego UCS falcon now too, does Lepin make a version of the new UCS Falcon?

https://www.idisplayit.co.uk

The price I quoted was wrong; it's 144BP, so closer to $300USD before shipping. Looks like a good product, though. Here's a review: https://brickset.com/article/31089/review-pure-display-case-for-the-millennium-falcon

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 1 month later...

So I built the UCS Millenium Falcon over the Holidays. That was quite a fun experience but I it was too much Lego for me. I built it over the course of five days and after I finished it I was glad it was finished.

The only other big "Minifig-scale" Star Wars sets I would need from Lego would be a UCS AT-AT and a new UCS Shuttle Tydirium with a better shaped cockpit and a light gray color.

I also would love to see a Tie Interceptor, Tie Bomber and Darth Vaders Advanced Tie Fighter in the "Minifig-scale".

5 hours ago, Scyla said:

So I built the UCS Millenium Falcon over the Holidays. That was quite a fun experience but I it was too much Lego for me. I built it over the course of five days and after I finished it I was glad it was finished.

The only other big "Minifig-scale" Star Wars sets I would need from Lego would be a UCS AT-AT and a new UCS Shuttle Tydirium with a better shaped cockpit and a light gray color.

I also would love to see a Tie Interceptor, Tie Bomber and Darth Vaders Advanced Tie Fighter in the "Minifig-scale".

I have the UCS Falcon, but I have yet to build it due to space restraints. However, a UCS AT-AT has been high on my want list from the beginning, as well as a new improved Imperial Shuttle with a better nose design and wing swing mechanism. Not sure why you want it in grey, as it's a white vehicle.

As far as your wish list,  8017-1.jpg?200812011049

Set 8017 from 2009

7181-1.jpg?199910241113

Set 7181 UCS TIE Interceptor from 2000. There was also a System scale version made in 2006, set 6206 https://brickset.com/sets/6206-1/TIE-Interceptor

and a System  TIE Bomber, set 4479, released in 2003: https://brickset.com/sets/4479-1/TIE-Bomber

All of these are retired sets, and the '03 and '06 sets still have the odd black and blue coloration that LEGO chose for whatever reason, but my intent was to show that they've all been done already. I threw in the UCS Interceptor in case you weren't familiar; it wasn't minifig scale.

Yeah, these don't do it for me but thanks. :) I need ones that stand side by side with the recent Y-Wing/A-Wing/X-Wing models (the non UCS ones).

I need some updated models. I like the ones Brick Vault did but I need to be able to buy them in a store everything else is too much work and/or will lead in an unhealthy Lego addiction. 

I think the B-Wing from 2014 would be a good addition but something is not right about that one. It is probably a bit too small for my needs.

Will see what the future brings. I'm not in a hurry to finish that collection. :)

Oh, and I would kill for a UCS Ebon Hawk! 

8 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Yeah, these don't do it for me but thanks. :) I need ones that stand side by side with the recent Y-Wing/A-Wing/X-Wing models (the non UCS ones).

I need some updated models. I like the ones Brick Vault did but I need to be able to buy them in a store everything else is too much work and/or will lead in an unhealthy Lego addiction. 

I think the B-Wing from 2014 would be a good addition but something is not right about that one. It is probably a bit too small for my needs.

Will see what the future brings. I'm not in a hurry to finish that collection. :)

Oh, and I would kill for a UCS Ebon Hawk! 

Unhealthy LEGO addiction- is there any other kind?:lol: I've been in full-on Betty Ford territory for decades, and as long as they keep making new stuff, I'm gonna have to buy it. Storing it has become my problem. I wish someone would invent the singularity closet.

I get what you're saying concerning some newer versions of these ships. I'm surprised that more TIE variations haven't been done in the last couple years, but I think they've been too busy designing sets to accompany movie releases. So far, the 2019 System Star Wars sets are all over the place: https://brickset.com/sets/year-2019/page-7  Not too exciting thus far, although I like the AT-AP sets and I really like the Droid Gunship, so those are on my list. Hopefully the summer and fall waves will offer more.

The Darth Vader Castle is a nice set, and it comes with a sweet chibi TIE Advanced. I love these chibi builds, and I wish they'd do a line of those instead of the Microfighters, which are still cute and fun in their own right.  Anyway, the Castle has nice presence on the shelf. 

I'm building up my VIP points to get the UCS Betrayal at Cloud City set. Love that chibi Slave I. The Cloud Car is a pretty nice build, too, and we haven't had a System set of it since 2002.75222-1.jpg?201808210159

• 2 weeks later...

While building the newest Lego X-Wing I thought about all the brightly colored parts that come with this set. Red, teal, lime green. I'm mainly collecting Star Wars sets and I always liked the idea of having parts from other Lego sets incorporated into these builds because in my mind everything in the Star Wars universe is made out of trash or with recycled parts. So using "recycled parts" to build these vehicles seemed like a nifty head canon. 

I've been watching more Lego reviews recently and one of the hosts said these brightly colored parts are used as a visual guide to ease the build process for the end customer. While this makes some sense to me I always thought they where used as a cost cutting method for Lego. 

My idea is that, when you produce pieces that are seldomly used in most sets (like the teal and pink parts from the Creator Expert Dinner) you need to retool the shop floor less often when you can use these parts in other sets where they aren't visible on the first sight. So Lego could use the molds to their full capacity didn't have to change and clean the molds and used plastic that often and save money in the long run.

Disclaimer: I don't know the intricacies of producing a Lego set it was just some thoughts I had to make sense of these off colored pieces in my sets besides the one I made up. :p

What do you think is the reason to include such parts into the modern Lego sets since the ones I had as a kid never did that?

While your recycling idea has its charm, the reviewer is correct. LEGO designers frequently use off-colored parts, relative to the primary color of the model, to ease the building process, taking into consideration that a five year old child may be building it who's not familiar with all the elements at hand. When said parts are buried, I generally don't mind, but I hate it when said 'fillers' are visible in the final model. This used to be a big issue in the early to mid 2000s in Star Wars, where red, yellow, or blue parts were oft used within the build and, amidst all that grey and dark grey, some primary colors peeked through.<_< It still happens on occasion, although I think the designers are more cognizant of it . It's not just a Star Wars set issue, either; it's endemic throughout themes, just very noticeable in SW sets. I'll add that 'fillers' (my term, not official LEGO) come in all sorts of colors these days, as the both the color and shape palettes have expanded a lot over the last five or six years. That's a positive so long as LEGO continues to turn a profit. 

Hope I didn't dampen your enjoyment of building . LEGO's all about imagination, and there's nothing that says you can't continue to imagine that all those odd colored bits are just odds and ends from the scrap heap- better to use them than to melt them down. 

So I built Sweet Mayhem's Systar Starship this morning (from the upcoming LEGO Movie Pt 2), and what a fun and interesting build it turned out to be. I love the Sweet Mayhem minidoll in all her space regalia; I've been secretly hoping Friends would eventually venture into space, and this is definitely a step in the right direction.  https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/the-lego-movie-2/products/sweet-mayhems-systar-starship-70830

I received the Overwatch Watchpoint: Gibraltar set today, and will probably build it tomorrow. Looking forward to this set, as it not only makes for a lovely ship, but it features some new sloped parts that I've been wishing for for a long time. https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Watchpoint-Gibraltar-75975?p=75975

Leg godt!

I always enjoy seeing new colors in my Lego sets. I remember how excited I was when I saw brown ship hulls in the Black Seas Barracuda set when I was a kid. So seeing something new excited me like the teal pieces in the nosecone of the X-Wing I built recently. 

I don't mind them when they are not an eyesore. 

That said I will probably buy 75050 and 75150 to flush out my collection. I don't know what to do with the green A-Wing yet but I like the Advanced Tie Fighter, even if it seems a bit small (just like the B-Wing) to me. However I wasn't able to find some in universe measurements to make sure to this is purely based on my recollection of the OT movies. :)  

I’ve been working on this Beast...it’s Mega Bloks, I know, but dang is it awesome!

30A672AC-7B8A-41BB-AB32-EB7370D15FA8.jpeg.97f78b23e3ba0de2ce1b3de0ef200923.jpeg

50A865BB-9D44-4781-AE6B-975F5B667C4A.jpeg.e22bbf88f8d301096a6ff555ff8861a0.jpeg

It’s 1/350 scale and the Bussard collectors light up. I got it for $79.99 on Amazon!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I could really use some suggestions on how to display the UCS Falcon. My wife shocked me at Christmas and got this for me, but I don't dare attempt to build it until I can first defend it from my overly curious 2-year-old. I've already looked at many forums and photos, but I'm hoping that someone here may have a flash of inspiration which doesn't involve me having to spend as much on a display item as the cost of the set itself... I'd ideally like to be able to show it on its landing gear and not on its side on a stand. I know that this is going to create a large footprint, so I'm thinking that the coffee table route may be the way to go. (I just wish that Ikea had something pre-made which would work.)

Well you could get some acrylic plastic and build a custom box for it depending on how crafty you are. Maybe you can get in contact with @ChaoticYeti who sells the Yeti Stands which are made out of acrylic plastic so he has a starting point for you.

You could also see if a shop is near you that builds custom fish tanks and see how much this would run you. Alternatively you could find an all clear fish tank that is high enough for the Falcon and push it against the wall.

Then you can find a flat surface with enough space for the hull and place the Falcon under it. I don't know how strong a 2-year-old is but the resulting coffin should be quite heavy. 

Something like this:

vRgc25R.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

What do people think about the next Creator Expert vehicle: the '67 GT Mustang? My understanding is that the page was accidentally posted to Lego's site early, but was then quickly taken down. Some eagle-eyed visitors copied the image and have been making the rounds with it.  Here it is:

creator_expert_1hy19_lego_dot_com.jpg.ed89ec8d351a38daa4c8fe2a9dcb0bcf.jpg

Looking at the photo, myself, I'm really into this. The Aston Martin was okay, but had some weaknesses when one looked at it with a critical eye. The Mustang looks about as good as you can get with Lego today. The curves are in the right places highlighting the hood/bonnet and the rear of the car. And unless my eyes are playing tricks, it may even be that they got that side panel detail on the door without resorting to a sticker (or printing) which will be fun to assemble.

The engine air intake is nice and subtle, and helps to bring the front end together. Speaking of the front end, I like how they've modeled the bumper, grille, and lights. I'm very curious to see how the back of the car looks and to see all the gimmicks this Creator Expert car employs. The picture appears to imply that a working steering mechanism is a given, and that we will have working doors (which I would expect given the history of the line).

Anyway, very excited for more news!

Ooh, first I've seen this. Looks really nice, and I've always liked the look of the classic Mustang. That indent in the door is definitely made from slopes and not a sticker, and it does appear to have working steering, which we haven't seen in a Creator Expert model in some time. It's a good assumption that both bonnet and boot will open, and it'll likely come with a spare tire, as that seems to be a trend with these larger, more realistic sets. Anyway, appreciate your posting this. Yet another LEGO set to get excited for.:)

Impressive! Love the sloped door detail and the fenders!

Here’s the last thing I made up, thought I’d share before I tear it apart.  I do a lot of mix, match designs until I find something I like before I bother matching colors or scheme..

large.2540F80C-0712-49FF-9538-8B61F5266482.jpeg.552a3051d1dd4dc33bb468dddec434a3.jpeglarge.18B56B21-E9A2-4558-90C6-75481C7EF11C.jpeg.c5eda9a7fefab70f31d5738190cc48ad.jpeglarge.85658392-F2A5-4593-866D-BA386F71C6E8.jpeg.bd6b65c1f45124185d2ea1dd9b245a99.jpeg

large.A04F79EE-A94A-452C-9BA4-2EE40B49FD38.jpeg.28aa945dfe1d66af519f2ff6fc2fb2d9.jpeg

Edited by Bolt

9 hours ago, technoblue said:

What do people think about the next Creator Expert vehicle: the '67 GT Mustang? My understanding is that the page was accidentally posted to Lego's site early, but was then quickly taken down. Some eagle-eyed visitors copied the image and have been making the rounds with it.  Here it is:

<snip>

Looking at the photo, myself, I'm really into this. The Aston Martin was okay, but had some weaknesses when one looked at it with a critical eye. The Mustang looks about as good as you can get with Lego today. The curves are in the right places highlighting the hood/bonnet and the rear of the car. And unless my eyes are playing tricks, it may even be that they got that side panel detail on the door without resorting to a sticker (or printing) which will be fun to assemble.

The engine air intake is nice and subtle, and helps to bring the front end together. Speaking of the front end, I like how they've modeled the bumper, grille, and lights. I'm very curious to see how the back of the car looks and to see all the gimmicks this Creator Expert car employs. The picture appears to imply that a working steering mechanism is a given, and that we will have working doors (which I would expect given the history of the line).

Anyway, very excited for more news!

As someone who intends to rebuild a 1967 Mustang as soon as I have space to do so, I'm all over this. It looks great.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:29 AM, technoblue said:

What do people think about the next Creator Expert vehicle: the '67 GT Mustang? My understanding is that the page was accidentally posted to Lego's site early, but was then quickly taken down. 

Just saw this:

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Ford-Mustang-10265

Carl

LEGO-10265-Ford-Mustang-With-Supercharger-1024x452.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

Any other Lego VIPs ordering their Mustang tomorrow? I know I am, and I am absolutely paying for overnight shipping so I can get it Saturday. This thing looks insanely beautiful, the blue is gorgeous, and the extra customization bits look really neat, I don't know how I will decide to display it, it looks so damn good I'll probably be pulling it off the shelf often to switch it up. I think Lego nailed this one, I've always been a huge classic Mustang fan, so this is definitely a must have set for me. After the incredible Bond Aston Martin, I bought up several Lego cars, they're definitely some of the more impressive Lego sets you can buy IMO.