Legos, anyone?

danth

1 hour ago, CaptRico said:

My "deluxe" take on MaxVF1's valkyrie MOC of the VF-1J Hikaru, w/ extra parts for super pack, and VF-1D two-person varient:

I love that gun strap!

Very well done Lego VF-1.

59 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

CaptRico 

Ah yes, I referenced it often when I was coming up with my own Spartas.  Nice one.

Glad you approve. I recently update the hovertank MOC to make more show accurate, but I have yet to take any pictures. Once I do, I'll show you want I did.

I generally don't post my own stuff, but I thought I'd share some pics of my VF-4. I originally built this in 2011, and have modified (improved) it over the years to the state seen here. I built it in the dark blue and grey colors primarily b/c that's what I had the most of, and b/c I generally like how they look together. I figure this is an urban defense model, so the colors make more sense.

This model is particularly special to me, as it represents an achievement that I tried to accomplish for over twenty years: make a transformable jet with LEGO. I didn't want to do the VF-1 b/c there are quite a few of them on the net; the VF-4 is one of my favorite valks, and it lent itself nicely to realization with LEGO. Hope you guys like.

VF-4 Fighter resized.jpg

VF-4 Gerwalk Edit BrickCon 2014 resized.jpg

VF-4 placard pics 016 resized.jpg

VF-4 placard pics 014resized cropped.jpg

2 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I generally don't post my own stuff, but I thought I'd share some pics of my VF-4. I originally built this in 2011, and have modified (improved) it over the years to the state seen here. I built it in the dark blue and grey colors primarily b/c that's what I had the most of, and b/c I generally like how they look together. I figure this is an urban defense model, so the colors make more sense.

This model is particularly special to me, as it represents an achievement that I tried to accomplish for over twenty years: make a transformable jet with LEGO. I didn't want to do the VF-1 b/c there are quite a few of them on the net; the VF-4 is one of my favorite valks, and it lent itself nicely to realization with LEGO. Hope you guys like.

that looks amazing! impressive work! :good: how complete is the transformation process? any parts need interchanging at all? 

2 minutes ago, spanner said:

that looks amazing! impressive work! :good: how complete is the transformation process? any parts need interchanging at all? 

Thanks, greatly appreciate the compliment. To answer your question, it has perfect transformation, just like a Transformer. It locks together solidly in fighter, and I can swoosh the crap out of it, go inverted- lots of fun. It also has retractable gear; none of these shots show it, but it's there.

Thanks! It took a few rebuilds, a bit of LEGO, and a lot of cussing, but I finally got it to work.:p  Anyway, here are couple more shots showing some features. Notice the entire shoulder can move; I built it like this from the beginning, as I was working solely from Kawamori's lineart. After I got my Yamato VF-4, the immobility of it's shoulders really seemed an impractical hindrance, and I was glad I went with a moveable design. Much more dynamic. Incidentally, these are older pics; the chest vanes have since been rebuilt and the new ones can be seen on the above posted pics.

LEGO VF-4 018.JPG

LEGO VF-4 005.JPG

Edited by M'Kyuun

I've thought about it, but never seriously enough to try it. In any event, I have no idea how to post video.

Here's another project I was working on; it's unfinished, but someday I may get back to it. Like the VF-4, it's fully transformable into all three modes.

LEGO Monster and VF-4 (resized).jpg

Some shots of my Classic Space Konig. Bittersweet project: I designed him to be very poseable, esp in the hips, so he could do an "A" stance, a very nice range of motion for such a large model. Then I added the backpack, which is rather substantial, and probably weighs as much, if not more, than the Konig's body. Well, the whole thing went ass over teakettle, necessitating a stand to keep him upright. After months of builds and rebuilds, lots of money spent on Bricklink, and a lot of excitement for how everything was turning out, it became a monumental failure, as it couldn't stand on its own, which was an absolute must from the onset. I still have it sitting on my worktable, unfinished. I've contemplated redesigning the hips with AT-AT joints to make them more robust, but I've lost my fervor, and for now, it collects dust. I keep hoping LEGO will produce some larger, more robust ratcheting joints for larger mecha, but I'm not holding my breath. So, I have another smaller Konig in the works, and I'm taking many of the lessons learned building this behemoth and applying them to it. Now LEGO needs to make the parts I need in the right colors. I'm hoping the Ninjago Movie Mecha sets will bring fruition to my erstwhile wishlist. High hopes. In the meantime, hope you like my CS Monster.

Konig Destroid resized.jpg

Konig GERWALK Resized.jpg

Konig and VF-4 resized.jpg

konig shuttle resized.jpg

konig aft view resized.jpg

Edited by M'Kyuun

3 minutes ago, danth said:

Honestly, seeing this makes me wonder what I'm doing with my life. I need to build Lego valks.

:lol: Best quote ever!

Never too late to start- I was over 40 when I built my VF-4. It's challenging, but oh so rewarding when it comes together. One of the best experiences I've had was at a LEGO convention called BrickCon a couple years ago when one fellow, out of the thousands of folks that attend, recognized my VF-4 as a VF-4 (In the five years I've gone, only about five people at the Con have done so- tells ya a little about the obscurity of Macross in the West). I talked to him for a minute or two (lots of folks shoulder to shoulder shuffling their way around the Mecha table at the time) and he mentioned that GERWALK was his favorite mode ( I had the VF-4 displayed in battroid). As he continued on with the flow, I put the VF-4 in G mode, hunted the gentleman down, and tapped him on the shoulder. Years melted off his face, lost in a giant grin, as he turned and laid eyes on that GERWALK; that moment still resonates with me.

So, get cracking! Build some LEGO valks and make the world a better place!

On 4/7/2017 at 0:57 AM, M'Kyuun said:

VF-4 Fighter resized.jpg

VF-4 Gerwalk Edit BrickCon 2014 resized.jpg

VF-4 placard pics 016 resized.jpg

Lovely design. Do you have an LFX file for Lego Digital Designer? I would love to try and built one. You have instructions?

Thanks! I have parts of it in early development in LDD, but not the whole thing.  I free built the majority of it.

Here are two files containing early work I did on the VF-4. Fair warning, it's a mess in these files,  with parts floating all over the place. You're the second person who has requested an LDD file  for this; at some point, I'll have to sit down and see if I can make a complete file for it. LDD can be a harsh mistress where many moving parts are concerned, not to mention tolerances, but I'll have have to give it a shot.

To be honest, I'd love to see what this would look like in canon colors, so making the design available for others to build would likely yield at least one "official" version. Personally, I don't feel like scraping the parts together to make another one, and if I did, I'd want to make too many changes. Just how it is. I have two or three other projects in the fire, so I'd rather work on something new. Anyway, I hope these prove useful, at least in some small capacity. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at mcquownw@hotmail.com. I appreciate your interest.

small vf-4.lxf

vf-x.lxf

so much cool LEGO stuff! I wish I still had all my LEGO.. 

when I first moved out of home in the mid 90's my mum went though all my stuff and got rid of a lot of stuff to charity including all my LEGO :( at least it made some under privileged kids happy! ^_^

And then when I split with my ex she kept some of my stuff including some new LEGO sets I bought and ended up giving it all to the kids which I guess was ok but they kinda wrecked it all and lost countless pieces. 

Don't think I could ever go down that path again. Think that ship has long since sailed. :mellow:

22 minutes ago, spanner said:

so much cool LEGO stuff! I wish I still had all my LEGO.. 

when I first moved out of home in the mid 90's my mum went though all my stuff and got rid of a lot of stuff to charity including all my LEGO :( at least it made some under privileged kids happy! ^_^

And then when I split with my ex she kept some of my stuff including some new LEGO sets I bought and ended up giving it all to the kids which I guess was ok but they kinda wrecked it all and lost countless pieces. 

Don't think I could ever go down that path again. Think that ship has long since sailed. :mellow:

Which path, marriage or LEGO?   Go with the LEGO, man, go with the LEGO.

6 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Which path, marriage or LEGO?   Go with the LEGO, man, go with the LEGO.

LOL! marriage!? no way! unless it was for example Jennifer Lawrence or Selena Gomez proposing to me then sure thing! :p :D

but yeah I'd take the LEGO otherwise.. 

7 minutes ago, spanner said:

LOL! marriage!? no way! unless it was for example Jennifer Lawrence or Selena Gomez proposing to me then sure thing! :p :D

but yeah I'd take the LEGO otherwise.. 

Good man.  With logic like that, you're going places! :lol:

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 4 weeks later...

So I saw a rumor video that said that there will be a release (reissue) of the UCS Millenium Falcon this year. If this is true I hope it is not just a straight reissue but a new design/redesign of the old UCS set. While it is an awesome set I think they could to a better job with the new build techniques and parts.

Since this is a rumor I'm not getting my hopes up. If you are interested here is the video:

I wouldn't hold your breath, this rumor comes back every year - they were sure it was going to be released the year Force Awakens came out but modified with the rectangular dish.

Until something official is released, I'd consider any talk of a UCS Falcon re-release as vaporware. Two sets that may be of interest to folks here are the new UCS Snowspeeder https://shop.lego.com/en-FI/Snowspeeder-75144

and the upcoming LEGO Ideas Saturn V, which looks purty snazzy.  Looking forward to getting that new Snowspeeder; I have the first UCS Snowspeeder set from 2003, but wasn't real thrilled with the brick built front end. It just didn't capture the angular look of the ship well. This new one uses updated techniques and a new windshield piece to create a far more accurate version. The Snowspeeder is one of my favorite ships from Star Wars, and an updated UCS has long been on my wishlist. From the few vids I've seen, It's everything I'd hoped it'd be. It should be on my doorstep early next week, and I can't wait to build it and swoosh the living hell out of it while the wife's at work.

Yes, just got the UCS Snowspeeder as well and plan on getting the Saturn V - and the prices aren't bad too boot!  I think this Lepin stuff has had a positive effect on Lego pricing (from our point of view).

Didn't hear about the Saturn V, or I would've ordered it with my Snowspeeder. :p  Oh well, maybe a birthday present idea for this year.

Is it bad that I'm mostly already planning ahead to rebuilding the wings of the Snowspeeder to the right angle though?  Might be a limit based on available angles of plates, but the whole vehicle looks too narrow, and the rear boxy things look like they need to be much wider.

Edit: Holy cow the Saturn V looks amazing.. I might have to get multiples of it for all those huge white curved plates and circular sections, actually... the fact that it separates into all the stages pretty much guarantees I'm getting at least one.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 4/8/2017 at 2:58 AM, M'Kyuun said:

One of the best experiences I've had was at a LEGO convention called BrickCon a couple years ago when one fellow, out of the thousands of folks that attend, recognized my VF-4 as a VF-4 (In the five years I've gone, only about five people at the Con have done so- tells ya a little about the obscurity of Macross in the West).

Could have been the VF-4. The VF-1, YF-19 and YF-21 should be more recognizable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 1:08 AM, M'Kyuun said:

and the upcoming LEGO Ideas Saturn V, which looks purty snazzy.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:45 AM, mog_kupo said:

The new Satunr V looks amazing and I am sure as hell gettin one

On 5/6/2017 at 8:17 PM, wm cheng said:

Yes, just got the UCS Snowspeeder as well and plan on getting the Saturn V - and the prices aren't bad too boot!

On 5/8/2017 at 5:28 PM, Chronocidal said:

Didn't hear about the Saturn V, or I would've ordered it with my Snowspeeder. :p  Oh well, maybe a birthday present idea for this year.

Edit: Holy cow the Saturn V looks amazing.. I might have to get multiples of it for all those huge white curved plates and circular sections, actually... the fact that it separates into all the stages pretty much guarantees I'm getting at least one.

Just finished building the Saturn V. "Purty snazzy' is the understatement of the century. The set is amazing. The size is truly impressive, the detailing is elegant and appropriate, it is rock solid (seriously, I can hold it sideways by the S-II, and the S-IC stays put), and it features some really incredible construction techniques that I never thought I'd see on a MOC, much less an official set. Felix, Valérie, Carl, Michael, and Austin did a brilliant job on the design.

You all need to go buy it now if you haven't already.

Tried to for Father's Day, but it was instantly backordered (only became available to order today!).  Now its a month waiting by the time my wife got to it.  What's going on, are Lego taking lessons from Bandai marketing?!

According to some members on Eurobricks, the traffic overwhelmed legoshop.com for a while as well. I had always planned on going to the local Lego store during my lunch break, but after seeing it backordered in the morning, and reading about some stores not even having enough to cover the people in line, I decided to move my lunch break up to as early as I thought I could get away with. There were "quite a few" left when I got mine about a hour and a half after the store opened, according to the employees there, so I don't know if I got lucky, or if the stories of stores selling out were just isolated cases blown out of proportion. I don't follow Lego news too closely anymore, but I've never heard of a set more anticipated than this one.

And hey, at least it's backordered and not sold out completely. It's not all terrible.

Yeah, even if it's currently out of stock, they don't seem to limit production too much.  Generally, UCS sets are available for a couple years after first release, and this one has so much press behind it, Lego would be crazy to cut off the supply before demand is met.