Legos, anyone?

danth

• 1 month later...

Bumping, to separate from Lego movie.

Just in case anyone's interested, I have all the "rare/uncommon" parts (asides from the figures) needed to build the Galactic Mediator (bought loose/used, so most of the clear green bits have scratches):

http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6984-1

I would love to trade them all off for something---namely some slightly earlier Classic Space stuff. Mainly just blue/trans-yellow "space" bits. Landing gear, rockets, cones, supports, wings, etc. Bley-colored space stuff also desired. Galactic Mediator parts are pretty much all the wrong color to upgrade/modify Benny's SPACESHIP! and I pretty much have no use for them now.

Not trying to "get my money's worth" for these parts---would be happy to trade an entire bag-full for just a couple classic spacemen and parts etc. Basically, combine the parts I'm offering with just some basic bricks/plates/slopes, and you can have a large classic spaceship.

"Coolest LEGO plane I've ever seen" keeps changing:

Working gear, flaps, elevons, canards, lights, ejection seat, thrust reverser, airbrakes, canopy...

I did check the instructions he has---753 steps. No parts list that I could find though, and the instructions are just pictures, so it could be quite the challenge to actually acquire the parts and recreate it.

::edit:: Ahh, parts list is up at Rebrickable. "You have 41.1% of the parts required". (probably mostly technic pins!)

Hmmn, he's got a Sea Harrier, half the parts, half the steps, needs no expensive electronic bits...

On the NY Toy Fair images I saw something that looks like a new take on the Lego Star Wars 6211 Star Destroyer. Maybe there is hope for a reissue/re-imagining of the older stuff especially the Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon. :D

Yep new System scale Imperial Star Destroyer and a new AT-AT for 2014. It's, thankfully, a heavy OT year for LEGO Star Wars. I wish they'd taken a picture of the interior of the SD, and the inside of the AT-AT's head, esp the latter. Given the size of that thing's noggin, I'm guessing both pilot and AT-AT commander can sit in the head. That'll set it apart as a minor improvement, otherwise the original 2003 AT-AT (set 4483) still stands, IMHO, as the best. The new ISD looks much better than the original (6211). This one has a closed bridge, and they've eschewed all the neon yellow rods simulating lasers on the original. On the downside, I read somewhere that you can't put figs on the new set's bridge. Sucks a little if it's true.

I was hoping for a new improved Imperial Shuttle set. The last System set came out in 2005 (Imperial Inspection, set# 7264) and was identical to the original 2001 release. Ironically, the Lambda Shuttle is one of my favorite Star Wars ships, and I hoped for a UCS version. When it finally came out, I was a bit disappointed by a number of things in the design, and so never bought it. Been hoping for a smaller System set that hopefully "fixes" some of the things I didn't like about the UCS model, and that most certainly deserve an upgrade from the old System sets.

I actually wound up getting the UCS Lambda Shuttle on sale a while back, mainly for the variety of parts it uses (tons of white thin bricks and some huge gearing mechanisms for supporting the wings), but the nose always looked terrible to me. I know the actual one did taper, but nothing like the way they did it. The windscreen itself is spot on, but everything forward of that should've been made by layered plates instead of the tapered bricks they used.

What I REALLY wish they could come out with is UCS-sized X-Wing that didn't looks horribly mis-proportioned because of their dumb refusal to make the engines bigger than 4 studs wide. At that scale they should be somewhere closer to 5 or 6 across at the intakes, and it's like they just dont make any cylinder parts big enough to do that. They used to, back when they made more sizes of wheels for Technics sets (ones with cylinder hubs and solid tires instead of air-cushioned ones that look more like actual hubs), but I don't think there's been anything suitable for making larger cylinders for a long time.

Half of my interest in the new SPACESHIP! set is from the big engines on the back.

Annnnd.. I just spent an hour running back and forth over peeron.com in the process of writing this.. Seriously.. that place is like a LEGO TV Tropes. :p

But I found them. They NEED to bring back larger cylindrical hubs like this..

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3739?img=20800

Apparently, they only came in white in one set, the original Technics Auto Chassis set.. the one I fell in love with when I got my first Lego catalog at like age 5.. well.. that, and the old yellow prop-plane set. I sadly never got either. :(

Edited by Chronocidal

Ha! I have those hubs, somewhere. The farm tractor (#851) was my first technic, I mean Expert Builder, set way back when. They made for a great smooth steamroller, unlike anything currently in the palette. They've retired a number of parts that were enormously useful, and I wish, given that they're extraordinarily prosperous again, and are cranking out new molds regularly, they'd revive some of those old parts.

Agree with you 100% about the UCS Lambda nose. It's one of the most distinguishing traits of the shuttle, and one of my favorite attributes, and they missed the mark by a mile with that overly tapered and pointy nose. Add to that the landing gear were a separate piece, and the majority of the wings were technic liftarms. I think they still got more right than wrong overall, but I couldn't get past the nose. Seems trivial, but everyone has their quirks.

Agree as well concerning the UCS X-Wing. The nose on the new one was blunt, which ruined the look of it, not to mention the always too-small engines. I have it, it was a fun build, but it has its faults. Their UCS B-Wing, however, is a thing of beauty.

Can't wait for Benny's Spaceship. I'll probably get 2 copies, one for parts and the other for the set. The "Sea Cow" is pure wonderful ridiculousness. I can't stop smiling when I see these LEGO Movie sets. Loving that Super Secret Police Dropship, too. Gonna be a financially draining LEGO year. :D

I noticed the whole atmosphere surrounding Toy Fair seems much, much more guarded this year. Every year I look forward to seeing lots and lots of photos, and friendly LEGO reps eagerly showing and telling about all the products for the various media folks, who capture all the talk, action, features, and enthusiasm on video for the fans' consumption. It seems rather subdued and limited this year. I hope it's a fluke and not the new norm, but, to quote Han Solo and his friends, "I have a bad feeling about this."

Edited by M'Kyuun

Hmmn, I thought the new ISD looked worse (as in, accuracy to the screen model). Just overall shape/proportions, mainly the bridge tower.

As for bringing back old parts----Lego always seems reluctant to do so, but sometimes you'll see a part come back that was gone for nearly a decade. Never seen a 20- or 30-year-old part return though.

They seem much more fond of "re-inventing" retired parts, but it's usually more complex/specialized than the previous one, and only really works well for the new set they made it for.

The potential is certainly there; however, given my lack of experience, I can't speak to the fidelity or integrity of the materials currently employed. One must consider the stresses involved on LEGO elements every time they are interlocked. Shapeways, which employs 3D printing, uses a nylon based plastic, and I've seen a number of parts designed specifically to work with LEGO on the site, the vast majority being gears and Technic liftarms. As to how well any of these parts actually function and for how long they hold up under constant use, I have no idea. What I do know is that the ABS LEGO uses is chosen for its integrity and endurance, as well as the extraordinarily specific tolerances in the molds themselves, ensure a very durable product. Parts I have from my childhood still have the same, and sometimes greater, clutching ability as those elements produced now. That's quite a testament to their engineering and choices of materials over the last 30 some odd years, and beyond.

I would personally love to see 3D printing become an industry capable of producing parts that are compatible and close or equal to LEGO's own, and that there will be folks out there with the knowledge and drive to produce parts that LEGO can't or won't for whatever reason. I saw a presentation at BrickCon last year where one of our guest speakers, a fellow AFOL, spoke about this and the potential to hurt LEGO in the long run. I don't see it. Consider that there are companies out there now utilizing the same technologies that LEGO uses, but yet still do not match LEGO's quality, reputation, or profits. I think it'll be the same for 3D printing, and other rapid prototyping technologies rising to the fore: even if the tech becomes equivalent quality-wise, there still need to be people with sufficient knowledge and desire to produce these parts, and I don't think that number constitutes a threat to a multi-billion dollar company enjoying not only enormous annual success and growth from its own IPs, but also from numerous historically popular and financially successful licenses. There's a reason they are the most financially successful toy company in the world, and probably the most well known anywhere in the world.

I'm a very happy and unashamed contributor to their success, and I hope to see LEGO continue to make great sets, wonderfully ridiculous themes, video games, and hopefully more movies throughout my lifetime and onward. As long as there's imagination and creativity, LEGO will never lose its relevance and ability to inspire.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Not only that, but the incredible precision that lego pieces are made with isn't there, from what I've yet seen. You can get some nice prints, yes.. but the tolerance levels that you have to hit when making something that is made to work with lego bricks would be insane. Not to mention, I can't actually think of any current printing method that would have the same structural integrity as an injection-molded piece.

In all likelyhood, you'll wind up with a batch of Mega-bloks. :p

You know, it's funny, I didn't mind the lift-arms being used on the shuttle instead of standard panels, because of how rarely you see good concentrations of those tall slopes they used on the edges. That set is probably going to be massively useful when I eventually get back to re-engineering my old VF-1 design, as well as when I get around to building the VF-19 model I've got going in the computer design software. It's basically a double-sized copy of the Yamato VF-19, mechanisms and all. :)

Aside from that though, I probably should have grabbed that UCS B-Wing long ago.. never got around to it, and I dunno if you can even get it now.

Edited by Chronocidal

Starfleet Voyager was my favorite as a kid. I still have the pieces somewhere at my parents in the garage rafters probably but I used to make imaginary designs (without minifigs). Instructions and boxes are probably long gone, of course.

Good for you! It's pretty impressive once built. It wasn't up for sale for very long. Guess it was limited run, or just didn't sell as well as hoped. Glad I got mine when I did, since I procrastinate on these big sets sometimes. The Parisian Restaurant will be my next Exclusive set (got to see it unveiled by the designer, Jamie Berard, in person). I'm on the fence about getting the Sea Cow...but it's wickedly cool.

That's actually pretty fun. Honestly, one of my dream jobs would be to just design sets and things, if only to have access to unlimited bricks. :lol: I'm pretty terrible about actually collecting sets though, since I only tend to buy things that either peak my fancy, or provide a huge supply of parts I need.

I tend to build a lot of things in white and gray, and I honestly never paid much attention to the colors of things when I was younger, as long as what I built was functional. That's made for a fairly eclectic selection of parts, mostly from assorted space and technics sets.

I'm a huge B-wing fan (my fave SW fighter) but I thought the price was way out of line and passed. A big pile of grey, and no minifigs? Should have been relatively cheap for its parts count, but instead it was the opposite. (plus no landing gear, and would liked to have seen some sand-blue parts)

I agree. I have the UCS ISD, and I don't really need any more big grey wedge shaped ships. I find the smaller ships much more interesting in the UCS line. For the most part, I think they've done well on them. The one that left me feeling lukewarm was the UCS Snowspeeder. It's one of my favorite SW ships, and the way they did the front section is just terrible. It's all brick built with slopes, but IMHO, utterly fails to capture the faceted look of the ship. I'd rather they'd used plates and tiles, angled accordingly.

The UCS B-Wing was larger than minifig scale, hence no figs. No gear, but a nice stand that keeps it perched at an angle as if it were flying. I don't get too plussed over gear as much any more, since LEGO tend not to put landing gear, esp retractable gear, on much of anything. I really wish they would, esp on those large City jets...there's room enough to swing that gear if they remove one of those large rounded belly parts and brick build a proper wheel well with working doors. A few SW ships have retracting gear, but not many. I think the larger price point on the B-Wing was due to a lot of larger parts being used throughout. Still, it was a fun build, and looks great.

See.. I have a weird relationship with the UCS ships.. I bought the original X-Wing... and promptly used the parts from it to build a better one. Honestly.. they really failed miserably to get the wings to work on that one. Surprising, because the "correct" wing mechanism (opposite wing pairs rotating on a center axle) is much simpler, and much stronger than the nonsense they tried with all the gears.

In any case, I've got a long history with using technics joints to make workable landing gear. At some point, they even included friction based hydraulic ram-looking parts that're only as big as a single axle. They'd be a huge improvement over the collapsing scissor joints I used to use.

The reason why I love the UCS Millennium Falcon is that he is in scale with the Minifigs. I also like that it is built mostly out of "standard" Lego Bricks. I don't like some of the newer sets that consists mostly out of bricks that are cast into shape specific for this set.

The UCS Millennium Falcon is some sort of a holy grail for me because the after market prices are ridiculous.

The only thing I would dig more than the Falcon would be a Ebon Hawk that is in scale with the Minifigs. With a figure that looks like my hero from the KotoR. :D

I kind of understand not printing huge decals to a point, since it kind of restricts what you can use the part for in the future... given that that canopy is really only useful on spaceships though kinda blows that reasoning away.

Honestly though, I hate that canopy. They could have easily made one that was the accurate shape, but they made it completely squared off. Kind of ruins the lines of the ship to me.

Really, I've never liked how they keep relying on pivoted bricks to shape the nose on the X-Wing.. it makes sense to a point, but it also screws up the ability to add more layers of detail, and kinda kills the overall shape by making the entire thing a wedge shaped brick, instead of tapering from top to bottom as well as front to back.

The one I built years back just used plates stacked sideways to make the nose slope, and I could actually layer them to make the fuselage taper in multiple directions.

Well, the beauty of LEGO is that there are any number of ways to approach shaping. Unfortunately, LEGO has to meet a price point, as well as a battery of tests and production screenings before the final design is accepted. Generally, something is lost during the process for one reason or another. It sucks, but LEGO's a business looking to make a profit above all. I always like to see proto pics of sets when they are infrequently shared; it gives some perspective to the process. In many cases, the protos look better than the final set.

As for shaping with plates, look up Shfio on Flickr...guy's a true artist. For some reason I can't link to the webpage.

As for the X-Wing UCS sets, while the new one is superior in just about every aspect except for the nose; slopes were used on the old one to give it a far better tapered look than the curved slopes and squared off wedge bricks used on the new one. Given all the parts at their disposal, one wonders that they couldn't have found a better solution keeping within price point.

I'm bummed that their AT-AT sets seem to downgrade with each release, rather than improve like most of the other sets redone over and over. 4483 still has the best proportions, IMO. It's certainly not perfect, but it's bigger and far more detailed than the last set or the upcoming set. I'm not including the walking AT-AT, since it was more of a Technic set than a System set, and doesn't look that great IMO, either.

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 4 weeks later...

Making me want to go hunt at my parents house that's for sure. I had a bunch of the 80's space and then the Blacktron, which I think was late 80s or early 90s?

If we're lucky, that Darth Revan fig will be the May 4th freebie for orders over $75. I'm not familiar with the character, but he looks cool nonetheless.

Re: May 4th freebie. Hmmn. If they allow pre-orders, and Benny's ship is up at the site then, that'd be an easy 75...

Making me want to go hunt at my parents house that's for sure. I had a bunch of the 80's space and then the Blacktron, which I think was late 80s or early 90s?

Original Blacktron is like 1988-90? Then there's Blacktron II, just a couple years later. (but late enough I never had any). Original Blacktron has the better colors and logo IMHO. (Triforce!)

Blacktron I is black, yellow, clear-red.

Blacktron II is black, white, clear-neon-green.

Agreed..original Blacktron colors/logo/minifig torso design were better, although there were some neat sets from the second wave. The Allied Avenger comes to mind. As it happens, not one of my original Blactron sets survived being parted out, but I have a few Blacktron 2 sets that are whole. At some point I'll try to remedy the first part of that statement.

As much as it would thrill me, I doubt Bennie's Spaceship will be out in May. I'm figuring it'll be part of the August release schedule, which means it'll start showing up in late July. I hope vehemently that I'm wrong. :D