Hello everyone! After spending some time roving through the Fan Works section, I once again had cause to appreciate the talents in art that many MWers possess. I thought it would be a grand idea to share some of our non-Macross artwork, too. And so I have created this thread as a place to showcase any and all non-Macross artwork.

I am sure that, like me, many others tend to stick the realm of sci-fi, anime, and manga with their artwork. But this thread is for all genres and styles of visual art, including sculpture and photography (of course, don't just start posting any and all photos, please be sure that they are "artistic" in nature).

Without any further ado, I will kick this off with a recent drawing I did of the EX-s Gundam. I began working with markers in August and have really begun to enjoy them. A lot of my new art is very clumsy in this respect because I am still learning to use them. Of course, in hindsight, it doesn't help that I made some grievous design errors with the EX-S, as well! laugh.gif

Follow this link to read more about the image, as well as a quick explanation of the subject matter for the uninitiated.

668__800x800_ex-s-alice-small.png

So let's see what everyone else has got!

Edited by azrael

• 2 months later...

It is done. Pen and marker on a 14" x 17" sheet.

Not too sure how I feel about this one, though. Any feedback, constructive (preferred) or otherwise (well this IS the internet) would be appreciated. You can visit the actual page itself here: http://www.asplenia-studios.com/2011/12/finished-original-mecha/

695__800x800_unk_mecha.png

It is done. Pen and marker on a 14" x 17" sheet.

Not too sure how I feel about this one, though. Any feedback, constructive (preferred) or otherwise (well this IS the internet) would be appreciated. You can visit the actual page itself here: http://www.asplenia-...original-mecha/

Excellent Illustration, love the shadows and contrast.

Here is a poster I illustrated a present for my family this christmas. It's been reproduced at 1meter high and sits proudly in our living room. These are pretty accurate caricatures of my family - and the living room of my house. On the larger version you can see lots of call-outs to Studio Ghibli characters who we are big fans of. I don't get much of chance to do personal artwork - since I do it for a job - but it's fun to do something like this once in awhile.

post-4688-0-09438200-1325111791_thumb.jpg

Here is a poster I illustrated a present for my family this christmas. It's been reproduced at 1meter high and sits proudly in our living room. These are pretty accurate caricatures of my family - and the living room of my house. On the larger version you can see lots of call-outs to Studio Ghibli characters who we are big fans of. I don't get much of chance to do personal artwork - since I do it for a job - but it's fun to do something like this once in awhile.

nice!

Well... where are these sketches?

Here's a WIP of what I'm on currently... I need to make a banner for an art blog I'm creating, so hopefully this will be in full color soon.

post-151-0-67809100-1325119680_thumb.jpg

And this is a birthday gift for a friend, it's her as Major Kusinagi.

post-151-0-21535400-1325119668_thumb.jpg

Cowgirl

post-151-0-87089900-1325119962_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished some simple illustrations for kids' T-Shirts for my dojo. Here is one of the characters I did.

The calligraphic and rough outline of the character was inspired by the latest Streetfighter series art style, which I think it quite innovative and cool!

post-4688-0-83139900-1326417229_thumb.jpg

Edited by PetarB

Overall, a balanced piece with lots of places to focus on and the eye to wander around in.

Pros:

- excellent colouring, highlighting and shading.

- you've given it a great sense of volume.

- having the weight of the image off centre is good and provides a sense of movement.

Cons:

- lack of variation in line thickness & colouring. By this, I mean that with all the detail and colours being similar, parts of it are hard to differentiate. This applies mostly to the torso, as the backpack has excellent colour differentiation.

- backpack design: despite looking dynamic, adding to the sense of motion and probably being very useful in space, combined with the pose, it looks like it's way too heavy and the mecha is stumbling forward more than running. Even without the backpack, it looks like the mecha is stumbling forward - something to do with the angle of the left foot, and the position of the right leg.

- mecha design looks rather generic and like countless other ones. I realize that the piece is for marker practice (and for that, it's a stunning success). Nevertheless, with your subsequent pieces I recommend going outside the "box" and try and incorporate unique elements into the design (eg: Kawamori's decision to give a robot aircraft design features, instead of the preceding aircraft with robot features.)

Recommendations: in your graphic editor of choice, erase the shadow, and put some type of a space background behind it - not a black star-scape, thought. Something that provides contrast to the dark greens and blues, like an orange/red/brown nebula or light blue planet.

Hope this provides guidance and is what you were looking for.

Any feedback, constructive (preferred) or otherwise (well this IS the internet) would be appreciated. You can visit the actual page itself here: http://www.asplenia-...original-mecha/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sketchley! Your insight is always extremely helpful!

Anyhow, on to my next piece, although I am not sure how quickly this one is going to come together, but I will talk about that after the image, in case you don't want to read me rambling on.

So... guess who?

post-179-0-01678300-1327872379_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, on to the ramblings. Aside from the fact that I will be spending a lot of this week "nesting", as my wife calls it (I call it a common sense thorough cleaning before our baby arrives in a little over a month or so), I am also working on a big project for a website who wants to advertise their different tiers of service using mecha, and utilizing designs from multiple genres. The initial gig pays well and, if it works out, could become a regular thing for me. Woohoo!

But, when the creativity bug strikes, it is hard to hold back. So I will probably be splitting my time between a lot of the things going on my life right now, including work on the image above. Woohoo?

Copic markers & Water color.

Love your work 505! There's a lot more coming from the emotional expression then the technical side, which is what I prefer. But I think if you can hone in on the technical, you're going to have perfect pieces. The coloring is great.

Some great work there Kurisama. Are pics one and two an original design?

Thanks! Yeah - they are, clearly a homage to Roy, but an original (fully transformable) design for a personal project - the design of which has been scrapped or at least thrown in the back of the vault for now - new design is in the same vein, but a lot less rip-off-y.