Getting into Macross 7

ErikElvis

Well after my initial experience a few years ago with the "movie" I was completely turned off to 7. I somehow thought the movie was the start of the series. Im 5 episodes into 7 now and am kinda digging it........

Cool gives me something else to watch to pass the time. :p

Well after my initial experience a few years ago with the "movie" I was completely turned off to 7. I somehow thought the movie was the start of the series. Im 5 episodes into 7 now and am kinda digging it........

Cool gives me something else to watch to pass the time. :p

For me, Mac7 didn't start getting good until Episode 14 or so...your mileage may vary.

It never turns into a full-on mecha action show like Plus, though. Although some episodes come close.

I think it takes AT LEAST 10 episodes, before the series really starts getting into the real plot, or at maybe 12 episodes, but for all it's quirkiness, it's fun to watch. There are some episodes where it does get more intense, and they start getting into story of the Protoculture, and so-on.

I've enjoyed Macross 7 from the start, and I'm 9 episodes away from watching the entire series. It's not a bad show, IMO, but enjoyable if you love a mix of classic Macross characters (Max, Millia, and Exodore) with newcomers (Basara, Mylene, Gamilin, Miho Miho, Flower Girl, etc.) to the franchise. Plus new Valkyries, the Protodevlin and such.

FIRE!!!! BOMBER!!!!

I wouldn't trade those early episodes for anything even though they are only a small hint as to the heights the series achieves later on. As far as pacing goes, it's not much different than most mecha series of that length. Gaogaigar and G Gundam for example change rather dramatically from their earliest episodes.

I've enjoyed Macross 7 from the start, and I'm 9 episodes away from watching the entire series. It's not a bad show, IMO, but enjoyable if you love a mix of classic Macross characters (Max, Millia, and Exodore) with newcomers (Basara, Mylene, Gamilin, Miho Miho, Flower Girl, etc.) to the franchise. Plus new Valkyries, the Protodevlin and such.

FIRE!!!! BOMBER!!!!

Flower Girl is the best character in the entire franchise.

After Gubaba, of course.

Edited by JB0

I like the intro, too, but the series is pretty damned bad ass on the rescue of City 7. Then you think it's going to downshift, then BAM "Death Match at Planet Lux." Then it starts to downshift again and all the weird Protodeviln start getting woke up... Those first two periods are tops then it dips a bit but the end of the series is great, too.

I actually think the series is good from the get go. I was initially turned off to Macross 7 when I first encountered a fragment of one of the OVAs on YouTube - it featured the rainbow song battle between Bassara and the big Meltran girl. I was totally unprepared for witnessing that.

Ironically though, I think that something like episode 12 of Macross: Frontier is a delight after someone digest Macross 7 - although Frontier really is in a many ways a "light" version of 7.

Frontier is basically the same - but the "crazy pacifist singer" is a sexy young girl who hangs out with a sexy older girl. Bassara as a protagonist on the other hand has no sex appeal - you either admire his virtue and his courage or you find him annoying.

Maybe earlier anime fans were - to quote Prime - made of "sturdier stuff" and didn't need their controversial heroes packaged in lingerie?

Pete

up to episode 38. kinda stallion. Had to look up then the 22's make an appearance. guess not till dynamite 7

Two VF-22s show up in the last few episodes of the show, plus the encore episodes, with a third showing up in Dynamite 7.

Frontier is basically the same - but the "crazy pacifist singer" is a sexy young girl who hangs out with a sexy older girl. Bassara as a protagonist on the other hand has no sex appeal - you either admire his virtue and his courage or you find him annoying.

I didn't get that at all. Neither Ranka nor Sheryl are pacifists. It's just that Ranka figured out that things were not as they seemed before anyone else. Well, before any of the other characters and most of the people watching, at any rate.

(It was pretty odd seeing so many people on the forum calling Ranka a traitor even tho, as the audience, they got a face full of not so subtle hints as to what was really going on.)

Anyways, I agree the show had high points and lulls. I liked it overall, I even like Basara. I liked Dynamite even more as they dropped, for the most part, the glam rock costumes and outlandish fighter colours, and we got more mecha!

I dun wrote up a review for Macross 7 on mah blog!

I'll post a bit here though:

Now to the characters. Basara is likable enough as a hot-blooded rocker and Valkyrie pilot but he can be a jerk a lot of the time. He also doesn't have a lot of dramatic change in the series. When you look at what Hikaru went through originally, especially with Roy dying, not too much happens to Basara and he's pretty much the same character throughout the whole series. This would certainly be a big minus if the series was plotted differently, but the way Macross 7 is, it's thankfully minor.

[Gamlin's] old boss Lt. Docker gets points and a mention simply by being a pimp and dating Sally and Miho at the same time, something that the ladies in question don't mind one bit! (Which really makes me wonder about those two... you know what? better not go there.)

[Gamlin's] old boss Lt. Docker gets points and a mention simply by being a pimp and dating Sally and Miho at the same time, something that the ladies in question don't mind one bit! (Which really makes me wonder about those two... you know what? better not go there.)

You've never seen the 7+ short with the bridge bunnies and Captain Jenius, have you?

The good lieutenant still had a ways to go before he truly mastered the art of the player.

Maybe earlier anime fans were - to quote Prime - made of "sturdier stuff" and didn't need their controversial heroes packaged in lingerie?

Pete

actually, that went more like "i thought you were made of sterner stuff" during PRIME and MEGATRON's final clash in the movie...