Drive

Mr March

Drive2011Poster.jpg

Just saw the new film "Drive" from Director Nicholas Winding Refn (Pusher Trilogy, Bronson). I want to praise so much about this film, but I'm far too excited right now that it'll all come across as gushing and hyperbole. What I can say about this genre bending action thriller is worth all the glowing reviews you may or may not have heard about it. It has some incredible action set pieces, including several car chases that are at once stylish, gripping and very clever. The film pays hommage to classic action and thriller films of the 1980s in all the right ways, eschewing the trap of being a unwanted remake of an popular 80s flick or an uninspired Spielberg pastiche. From the fantastic 1980s-styled neon pink credits to the neo-synthpop soundtrack, this film uses the 1980s as inspiration for a modern action thriller without ever feeling derivative or mocking. I think most of you would truly enjoy the film and I can't recommend it enough. Check it out!

P.S. Be careful who you take to this film. While the film is mostly somber and quiet, it's frequently VERY violent and shocking. Not for the faint of heart.

Edited by Mr March

Just saw it...I wasn't as impressed but it was decent.

I picked up on a distinctive Michael Mann vibe while watching it (which for me is not a bad thing). I thought the beginning to middle of the film was outstanding with the action and drive sequences superb. I also liked the relationship between the Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan.

The move lost me a little at the end as I felt the climax and resolution felt a tad bit, I don't know, rushed.

I would still recommend the movie to others, just not a very strong recommendation.

-b.

PS - the soundtrack is full of awesome and also reminds me on some level of Mann's better work, like Heat.

-b.

I agree. It wasn't just the soundtrack that was a throwback to Heat, but the cinematography as well. The bird's eye view of LA set a pretty ominous tone, kinda like the city was almost a character itself.

Just saw it. Two thumbs way up, for me.

Very classy. Elegant directing that implies the events more than actually depicting them, which I love. And yeah, much more violent than I was expecting. Dead on with the Michael Mann similarities. But I didn't notice them until I just read Kanedas' comment.

I resisted seeing this movie because from the descriptions I read I was expecting a craptastic over the top Fast and the Furious clone, but it ended up being unlike anything I expected. Ironically, I wish there was more driving, because the first driving scene was amazing in the most subtle and understated way I think I've ever seen a getaway scene.

Anyway...great movie.

Just saw it. Two thumbs way up, for me.

Very classy. Elegant directing that implies the events more than actually depicting them, which I love. And yeah, much more violent than I was expecting. Dead on with the Michael Mann similarities. But I didn't notice them until I just read Kanedas' comment.

I resisted seeing this movie because from the descriptions I read I was expecting a craptastic over the top Fast and the Furious clone, but it ended up being unlike anything I expected. Ironically, I wish there was more driving, because the first driving scene was amazing in the most subtle and understated way I think I've ever seen a getaway scene.

Anyway...great movie.

I think audiences are wanting better storytelling in their movies. It's good to see some films are making a better effort. But then again, for every "Drive," we get a shitfest Micheal Bay "film".

Just saw it. It was excellent. The only real complaint I have is that there wasn't as much driving as I was expecting. Nonetheless, the few chases were well executed.

Bottom line: We need more films like this.

That is the best summary of this film I've ever read. You are absolutely correct. There NEEDS to be MORE films like this one made. More driving would have been nice, but they did a great job developing the characters, but also making them all real.

And I just have to say it...

Ron Pearlman is still a pimp.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got around to seeing it this weekend. Fantastic film. Terrific soundtrack. Will definitely be joining my blu-ray collection on its release.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got to watch Drive last night, and I must say that it's the best movie of 2011. An excellent action thriller devoid of Hollywood bullsh*t such as shaky camera work, cheap CG and overly loud background music. Instead, it's got textbook filmmaking at its finest - an excellent storyline, an outstanding car chase sequence and brilliant performance by Ryan Gosling, who has shades of Clint Eastwood and Robert De Niro in their earlier years. And the '80s style titles and camera angles add the icing to the cake. Will definitely pick this up when it comes out on Blu-ray.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...