Aliens: Colonial Marines morphs into Isolation

Dobber

androids creep me out, but I've done very well so far to avoid them. I have a motion tracker now and I'm glued to this thing although im pretty sure I won't be encountering the alien at full force just yet. but now I'm creeped out cause areas are dark and my tracker keeps giving me bleeps and there's nothing!

LOL! :) But seriously, it is a disservice to Isolation to be in the CM thread. It doesn't deserve the same kind of scorn, but in all fairness the developers of each of these "Alien/Aliens" video games are banking on the association to the franchise. So perhaps for good or ill, the fate is just :)

I like to think of the Isolation discussion as the virtual chest-burster exploding out of the dying carcass of the original host/discussion...

I'm hardly a third of the way into Isolation, but I have to say that from a personal standpoint I don't "like" it. I get the impression that I'm going to spend the entirety, not the majority, but the ENTIRETY of the game hiding, sneaking around and just generally being helpless. I wish they could've balanced the game like, let's say Metal Gear Solid, where in order to succeed you have to balance a limited inventory along with stealh and strategy, yet ultimately having to conquer and vanquish your enemies. In Isolation, it seems as if ANY confrontation of any sort will lead to your death or a near-complete depletion of your wares, which will lead to your death. Now, I'm not suggesting that this game should be a run and gun like the previous Alien games or like Contra, however the player should have a genuine choice between taking on enemies or fleeing; in Isolation it feels as if the only thing to EVER do is to run and hide....

Too true sadly. I haven't had the chance to play Alien Isolation. Waiting until after my PC build to pick it up. Rather see the real graphical potential over the water-downed PS3 version.

I've gotten it for the PC. Looks really pretty, and really feels like you're in the sets of the first movie. I'm a couple of hours into it and I'm really enjoying it.

That's great, I think it'll be my next game to buy after I finish South Park: Stick of Truth.

Stick of Truth was probably my game of the year last year, so hilarious, so fun, so well made, Obsidian really knocked it out of the park with that release.

"enjoying it"?

Is this a different game from the rest of the thread??? You're supposed to be pants-soilingly terrified!!!

I am scared while playing it, so I guess that's a way of enjoying it. I've only had 2 glimpses of the alien so far, and now I'm dealing with the helpful androids. Just found out that hand to hand is a very, very bad idea.

Just got to the end of Mission 5 (hospital) and this game is such a mix of terror and frustration that I plan to play through AvP as soon as I complete it just to get appropriately proportional vengeance against the Xenomorph species.

It definitely forces you to change your mentality about first-person gaming, having to watch where and how you step so as not to bump objects. The Xeno got me once when I walked over some papers and they crinkled. When it sees you and roars, you know you have maybe a couple seconds of life remaining to either get very lucky or swiftly dispatched. Anyone gotten yanked up into an air vent yet?

Just got to the end of Mission 5 (hospital) and this game is such a mix of terror and frustration that I plan to play through AvP as soon as I complete it just to get appropriately proportional vengeance against the Xenomorph species.

It definitely forces you to change your mentality about first-person gaming, having to watch where and how you step so as not to bump objects. The Xeno got me once when I walked over some papers and they crinkled. When it sees you and roars, you know you have maybe a couple seconds of life remaining to either get very lucky or swiftly dispatched. Anyone gotten yanked up into an air vent yet?

Ridiculous. In the 2010 AvP game your marine could engage a xenomorph in hand to hand combat and actually KNOCK IT DOWN. now, we find ourselves in a situation where you're completely defenseless no matter what your arsenal involves. Somehow I find myself reaching for my coveted copy of AvP '99...

Ridiculous. In the 2010 AvP game your marine could engage a xenomorph in hand to hand combat and actually KNOCK IT DOWN. now, we find ourselves in a situation where you're completely defenseless no matter what your arsenal involves. Somehow I find myself reaching for my coveted copy of AvP '99...

ApP 2010 also has those totally awesome Predator fatalities, that's like the only way I fought in the last third of the Predator campaign. They should bundle both games and call it the "Sweet Catharsis Edition."

I still have my AvP (99) and AvP2 PC discs somewhere too...

This reminds me of an old story I think I may have read about on MW. Years back they had this Aliens experience attraction that you were guided through by a Marine and along the way people in Xenomorph costumes would snatch people. One guy got grabbed and decided to headbutt the alien. :p

I still have AvP '99 on my computer, albeit as a Steam game. I didn't enjoy the 2nd AvP as much so I haven't gone out of my way to resurrect it. I enjoy AvP '10 well enough...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Isolation and so far it's a great game though it has some flaws. My main issue is with the AI. How come the Alien only hunts me when there other humans walking around?

The game reminds me of Riddick and it would of been cool if they added a RPG-lite component to it. For example, interacting with the other humans for side quests and/or working together to defend against the Alien, androids or other humans.

I bought Isolation and so far it's a great game though it has some flaws. My main issue is with the AI. How come the Alien only hunts me when there other humans walking around?

The game reminds me of Riddick and it would of been cool if they added a RPG-lite component to it. For example, interacting with the other humans for side quests and/or working together to defend against the Alien, androids or other humans.

Well there's a lot going on in the station and ppl are going to not trust you cause you're a stranger, you know to much so the joes wanna kill you, and you CAN have the alien kill others as a mean of distraction so you can get passed certain obstacles...cause let's face it, if you ain't first your last.