Aliens: Colonial Marines morphs into Isolation

Dobber

It's surprising how much of a hold this franchise still has on me. Granted, there's good reason; the first two films are still brilliant, AVP 2 is still one of the best PC games and all the mechanical designs are still fun to look at to this day. But only just in the last week has my willpower finally defeated the last of my blind nostalgia and I've completely accepted that I will not buy this game, even on a Steam sale. It took a surprising amount of self-convincing. I suppose this is why companies keep exploiting once-great franchises, because that adoration developed in one's formative years is a potent purchasing power. So...Die Hard 6 then? :)

It's on sale? Anyway back in '98 the only reason why I bothered to buy a personal computer wasn't for school, business or even PRON it was so I could play the seminal Alien Vs. Predator. When I went into the dealer I said "Look, just build me a system that can play AvP and play it well." I still love every AvP game and to say I'm disappointed with this newest iteration is an understatement. Did the same people that made the previous games have a hand in this one as well?

It's on sale? Anyway back in '98 the only reason why I bothered to buy a personal computer wasn't for school, business or even PRON it was so I could play the seminal Alien Vs. Predator. When I went into the dealer I said "Look, just build me a system that can play AvP and play it well." I still love every AvP game and to say I'm disappointed with this newest iteration is an understatement. Did the same people that made the previous games have a hand in this one as well?

Same people involved? NO.

00:13 seems to be much of the sentiment I've been reading.

Wow, that was EXCELLENT, lol, and probably the best comprehensive review to date; that guy covered everything. He did point out some "good" aspects of the game, with respect to the level details, object design, sound production, and the general atmosphere, so I will probably pick this up just because of those things. The one thing that TRULY bothers me is the alledgedly wonky AI; I love Aliens for being hostile, powerful and intelligent but it seems we don't get that here. One thing I might say is that the many hands that took part in creating this game probably caused all of its issues...

Edited by myk

^^^Good Lord, even the first AvP in '98 didn't have AI that ridiculous. As I said before, too many hands got involved here trying to make a "wunder-project" and when it got too complicated and the pressure was on to release it, they just said screw it and sent it out unfinished.

BTW, what did you guys think about AvP 2010? I really enjoyed that one, although I take it many others did not. If so, why?

I bought AvP 2010 for about $10 and I felt it was well worth the price.

The survival mode is actually pretty fun and captures the "auuuugh it's behind me!" feeling and you actually end up wildly shooting at shadows once you get to the later levels.

Would you have thought it worth the price at $15? I thought the game was a riot with the Alien or Predator on human "fatalities."

Finish him! Lol...

Edited by myk

Well, having played AvP 2010 thoroughly, I can safely say that the AI isn't buggy/illogical, and the focus on the Xenomorph threat is prevalent, unlike Colonial marines. The only gripe I have with the game was the ridiculous hand to hand combat gimmick they threw in, as well as the smartgun being available for like, 2 seconds but whatever-no one's perfect...

• 1 month later...

That singing, dancing alien is hilariously bad programming. I could have understood that like 20 years ago, but come on, man.

AvP on the Jaguar didn't even have glitches like that...

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, you silly litigious Americans :)

While I doubt this lawsuit has any chance of going anywhere, the filing of it does touch upon a dirty secret of tech demos in modern video game marketing. This tech demo controversy isn't new, but something that many people - consumers, game reviewers and industry folk alike - have been lamenting as a corrupt and underhanded way to sell your game for some time. Supporters have said these "fake" tech demos are no more akin to movie trailers featuring scenes cut from the final film. But I've heard it said that game play demos for a video game - by their very nature as interactive games - have to deliver more on what is shown in a demo than a film does with a trailer. Many have argued with some legitimacy that one can cut scenes from a film and still have a story but when game play is cut, that IS the product.

Maybe I'm biased (even though I have never and will never purchase this game) but I admit I kinda enjoy seeing a company that tries to irresponsibly exploit my consumer nostalgia get sued for doing just that.

to paraphrase "A video pre-purchaser and his money is soon parted". On the one hand suing for this is insane, on the other hand the degree to which software companies (all kinds of software) gets away with shipping feces by claiming the software is not suitable for any purpose is disgusting. We do need to find a better line between normal glitches and liability for releasing buggy garbage.

How is this going to fix the problems with the production version of the game?

Oh, yeah, it won't! This is just a cash grab.

If anything, and depending how viral it gets, sends a message to game corps to really watch what they're doing. They're already issuing refunds to those who bought the PC game...and the least they can do is issue refunds to those who bought the console game, regardless of it being the 60 dollar, or the 99.99 collectors edition.

I saw my local game shop selling the collectors for 49 flat, that there alone cause it's the collectors is good enough for me to buy, and just throw the game in the garbage.

• 2 weeks later...