Aliens: Colonial Marines morphs into Isolation

Dobber

Looks pretty damn cool IMO. Didn't think the colony would still be there though....unless it was farther from the atmosphere processing plant than originally thought. Still gonna pick this up. Trailer looks fantastic.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/01/7544289-decades-later-aliens-gets-a-sequel-you-can-play

Chris

I also wonder how they are going to incorporate Hadley's Hope since I would have assumed it got destroyed in Aliens. Maybe they will have the events of Aliens, and then go beyond in the game. Story aside, this looks like it will be an awesome game.

Wow I can't wait. The Aliens game franchise is the only reason why I ever got into PC gaming and this will help continue the tradition, to be sure...

“Hey Aliens, I wanna introduce you to a personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle, ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher"

Game looks awesome, I'll definitely get this one! B))

• 8 months later...

Back from development hell but nearly all we got is notice of yet another delay. This time the release has been pushed back to 2013. Another game play trailer has been provided, which of course looks great.

I hope this game will at least see the light of day.

Too little too late?

Where's the APC mission? Where's the Dropship mission? I want to play with some of these toys!

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna frakk with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

Well hopefully they got rid of that stupid melee, hand-to-hand crap in the last Alien game. Nothing says comedy more than knocking down a xenomorph with the butt of a handgun, lol...

Yeah looks like they're taking a totally different direction with the story-negating what happens in the final moments of Aliens and establishing their own continuity away from Alien 3, which is sure to please 99% of all Alien fans. Where did all of those other Marines on the Sulaco come from? This thing's a year away so who knows what'll happen but I hope they find more environments to wage the story in than the interior of the ships...

Yeah looks like they're taking a totally different direction with the story-negating what happens in the final moments of Aliens and establishing their own continuity away from Alien 3, which is sure to please 99% of all Alien fans. Where did all of those other Marines on the Sulaco come from? This thing's a year away so who knows what'll happen but I hope they find more environments to wage the story in than the interior of the ships...

Realistically the Sulaco would have had a crew to run the ship - the marines we see are the landing party rather then the Sulaco's crew. Certainly that is not the way it was depicted in the movie, but it is often cited as the unofficial canon. (non-canon canon, how fun). Some marines would have been left behind as ship's security too. (once again, even though the movie makes it plan they do not exist)

Realistically the Sulaco would have had a crew to run the ship - the marines we see are the landing party rather then the Sulaco's crew. Certainly that is not the way it was depicted in the movie, but it is often cited as the unofficial canon. (non-canon canon, how fun). Some marines would have been left behind as ship's security too. (once again, even though the movie makes it plan they do not exist)

That's true because if the SULACO did have a crew to run the ship then Bishop wouldn't have needed to remote drop and operate the 2nd dropship to get the survivors off LV426. I guess this is a different take on how the 2nd movie ended. Game looks good so far, though. I can't wait to play it.

Just to note, there are more game environments than just the interior of the ships. The gameplay trailers so far have shown planet side locales (both interior and exterior) as well as hives. The E3 2011 Demo also stated there would be sequences within the Alien Derelict Spaceship.

• 3 months later...

That's some solid work. Reminds me a lot of the Left 4 Dead game modes, which is a VERY good thing. I am very encouraged by the attention to gameplay shown so far by Gearbox. So often these games from film properties are just standard shooters using the film's production design as window dressing. But with this game, Gearbox appears to be seizing the opportunity to develop a shooter that actually creates more unique gameplay based on the actual Aliens universe itself. I hope it works out as good as it's promise.

• 5 months later...

Ok guys! Tomorrow is the day we've waited YEARS for! Who's picking it up? I'm still debating on Xbox or PS3. Xbox has a better and more comfortable controller but PS3 is true bluray HD and will deliver more IMO but never liked the controller.

I have really low expectations on this one. Every Aliens game that's come out in the past 10ish years have all been pretty lacking.

The fact that no official reviewers were given pre-release copies isn't a good sign.

This is the only video review I could find so far:

There's also this...http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/11/aliens-colonial-marines-reviews-begin-get-the-scores-here/

Ouch.

I was thinking Wii U (the controller is made for this game with the motion tracker, etc). but have been fearing it's gonna stink so maybe if/when it hits the bargain bin.

Well from what I've been reading on the net right now, the game seems to suffer a lot. After watching some of that video posted above of the gameplay I'm cringing my teeth going "WTF happened?! The audio sync to the game animation is just horrible! The actions don't even match and all the characters are emotionless like bishop or rook or WHATEVER!"

I have really low expectations on this one. Every Aliens game that's come out in the past 10ish years have all been pretty lacking.

The fact that no official reviewers were given pre-release copies isn't a good sign.

*snip*

There's also this...http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/11/aliens-colonial-marines-reviews-begin-get-the-scores-here/

Ouch.

Reviewers are idiots.If a game doesn't wow them every ten seconds they give it a bad review. If they don't get paid off by company x then bad review.

Also let's all remember this has been in development for over five years.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Ok guys! Tomorrow is the day we've waited YEARS for! Who's picking it up? I'm still debating on Xbox or PS3. Xbox has a better and more comfortable controller but PS3 is true bluray HD and will deliver more IMO but never liked the controller.

I'll be there, for the PC version.

In any case, how have the previous Alien games been lacking?

Wow, when even the game sites in the pocket of the publishers write a lousy review, you just know this is a bad game (or they didn't pay them off enough) :)

I'm saddened but that's why I wait for reviews for properties like these. The Aliens franchise - like so many popular franchises - has been exploited FAR too much to trust blind buying any film or video game made of it.