Thoughts on Macross II

VF-15 Banshee

I just watched a part of this today as I was planning on ripping the DVD to my iPad but it just lacks the flare of Kawamori Macross projects even with Mikimoto's character designs. I remember back in the day I enjoyed it overall but the english dub makes me cringe more now than ever.

He's brilliant because he's Bryan Cranston, also known as Hal from Malcolm in the Middle. He's also the main character of Breaking Bad (I haven't watched much of the show and can't remember the character's name), a role which he's sooo good at, he's won several awards. From what I've seen of that show, he's an absolute badass.

If I remember correctly, that's Dan Woren, the guy who voiced Roy in Robotech. Agreed... he just doesn't fit the role very well.

As far as Macross II goes, I also agree that you should watch it with Japanese audio and English subs. The story is fairly entertaining, but definitely not as strong as the best Macross works. It's worth watching.

Woot, my 500th post! :D

NANI???? Bryan Cranston was the voice of Isamu Dyson NO Friggin way I didn't see his name in the VA Credits.

NANI???? Bryan Cranston was the voice of Isamu Dyson NO Friggin way I didn't see his name in the VA Credits.

He was credited under a different name, but it's him. He also played Dr. Whatley on Seinfeld!

While we're on the subject of Isamu Dyson, for the English dub on Episode 4 of the Japanese DVDs he was played by David "Solid Snake" Hater..

He was credited under a different name, but it's him. He also played Dr. Whatley on Seinfeld!

While we're on the subject of Isamu Dyson, for the English dub on Episode 4 of the Japanese DVDs he was played by David "Solid Snake" Hater..

What's the story behind that?

Again, what are you talking about?

The DVD section on MW's main page (remember when that used to be what we came here for) has said the first R2 DVD of the Plus OVA has the Manga dub.

Maybe they thought it was a good extra or something. I mean there have been R2 DVDs with subs so maybe they decided a dub may entice foreign buyers.

The DVD section on MW's main page (remember when that used to be what we came here for) has said the first R2 DVD of the Plus OVA has the Manga dub.

Maybe they thought it was a good extra or something. I mean there have been R2 DVDs with subs so maybe they decided a dub may entice foreign buyers.

No the English dub on the "International Release" used several of the same English voice actors, but it wasn't the Manga dub.

Overall, I did not care for Macross II.

The story is nearly scene for scene re-imagining of DYRL but it seems forced. It introduces the Marduk with no explanation. Hey, we established these other factions related to the Zentraedi/Meltrandi and have plenty of room to expand on them, but here's an entirely new one anyways with even less explanation!

The characters just didn't grip me that much.

I really did not care for the mecha designs. Well, I loved them when I was 15, but as I got older they just seem over the top fan-fic extrapolations of the old mecha. The Metal Siren is exactly what I would have done to make an "advanced" Valkyrie back when I was a teenager. A more "spacey" VF-1 with big bulging missle pods everywhere, some spikes, and a big giant gun and it can blow up enemy battleships by itself by farting lightning!

All the mecha designs had that very 90's sci-fi look to them. More rounded and ergonomic with arching pylons for no reason. They just didn't seem very "Macrossy" to me. Not that the VF-2SS is bad, per say, but...not very Macrossy. The Valkyrie designs lacked that love of real world aeronautics that makes the designs in every other Macross so memorable, so "believable" to me. (Bad Sound Force paint jobs notwithstanding.)

I did like the fleet battles, and I still think the "Macross Cannon" is a great idea. Just kinda...underdeveloped. It looks too flat. A great idea just it has a lot of the same style issues I have with every other mechanical design in the series.

The score wasn't bad, a few of the background pieces still stand out to me, like the fleet arriving with the Macross Cannons. The vocal songs are poppy and catchy but pretty generic. Not bad, but not something I'd go out of my way to listen to.

I loved the human character designs. Not so much the Marduk but Mikimoto's style is front and centre and that's great. Not having him is my biggest complaint with Plus, Zero, Frontier, etcetera.

The ending seemed really forced.

Like others have said, it's not terrible, it's not great. It's not "good", it's fairly blandly mediocre. I don't vehemently hate it or begrudge anyone else liking it. Just not my cup of tea.

I like Macross II, because every mention of it doesn't start week-long flame wars full of personal insults and strawman attacks.

Also: Ishtar.

Hardly a reason to like a show. I like Gundam ZZ in spite of similar reasons.

Ishtar, in a vacuum, was a pleasant character. Too bad she wasn't either used better or in a better show.

You guys only like Ishtar because she useless and moe and wears practically nothing.

a total waifu

Not true. We also like her because she wears amazing face paint and has a soothing and relaxing voice...

I was being silly.

Man, I have GOT to get a more mainstream sense of humor.

Don't feel a need to on my account. I've been told that mine is strange, anyway.

As far as Ishtar, I like her because...saying she's pleasant is the best way to put it. She's not a great character, but she has a nice personality and is just sort of relaxing in general. Is that "moe"? If so, then it's odd. Most characters distinctly idenitifed as that, or at least that as their primary trait, make me want to punch the screen.

Don't feel a need to on my account. I've been told that mine is strange, anyway.

As far as Ishtar, I like her because...saying she's pleasant is the best way to put it. She's not a great character, but she has a nice personality and is just sort of relaxing in general. Is that "moe"?

Yes. very much like my little sweetie♥ Mikuru-chan, in fact...

Had moe even been invented by 1992?

the genre has basically been around, in one form or another, since around the early 1980's or so. possibly farther on back.

vintage Moe is perhaps a little harder to single out, as it generally isn't nearly as "grossly idealized" as in today's standards...

Edited by Shaorin

You do realize Mi-mi-mikuru is the literal moe abyss right?

You have stared into it and it has stared back into you

she's the ultimate epitome of Moe, no question about that, but, more importantly, shes also a sweet, loving, caring Angel of a woman.

she only gets better by the time of her older self, when she finally learns how to be self-confidant.

i could easily imagine her choosing a medical doctorate of some sort for her career, she just strikes me as that sort of a loving, caring person...

Edited by Shaorin