Sintel

areaseven

Sintel.jpg

Sintel

Blender Foundation, 2010

Directed by Colin Levy

Running Time: 15 minutes

Not Rated (suggested PG-13). Contains graphic violence.

Cast

Halina Reijn as Sintel

Synopsis

A young female nomad named Sintel discovers a wounded baby dragon she names Scales and keeps it as her pet. But when an adult dragon takes away Scales, she embarks on a perilous journey to rescue her pet.

Story: A-

Despite its short running time, Sintel does a wonderful job weaving the tragic story of a girl and her dragon.

Animation: A

The 3D animation is not the most groundbreaking and some of it feels like a typical video game, but keep in mind that this short film was done on a €400,000 budget and rendered using the open source software Blender - not a multimillion dollar machine used by Pixar.

Soundtrack: A

The pseudo-orchestral score by Jan Morgenstern has shades of Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings) and James Horner (Avatar, Braveheart), and it really brings life to Sintel's action and landscape scenes.

The Bottom Line

Sintel may be a free download, but it beats a lot of the recent big-budget CG movies in terms of overall quality.

Links

Official Sintel Homepage

References

The Internet Movie Database

It was interesting, but I wasn't impressed with it. The ending pretty much killed it for me

I don't care how involved you are with searching, you ARE going to notice how many years pass.

Eh. Mirrors were incredibly rare in pre-modern societies, so not realizing how much you've changed isn't much of a stretch.