• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, glane21 said:

They owe Kawamori a credit and royalty since the giant hologram pointing at Gosling's character is a straight rip from Macross Plus.

Is that even a Macross thing? It looks like just a natural progression of what was shown during the 1982 film

21 hours ago, glane21 said:

They owe Kawamori a credit and royalty since the giant hologram pointing at Gosling's character is a straight rip from Macross Plus.

To be fair, Blade Runner released on June 25th 1982.  SDF Macross TV series was October 3rd 1982. 

As for Blade Runner 2049. I probably won;t get to see it til next week, so those who get to it this weekend. Enjoy!!! 

8 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

To be fair, Blade Runner released on June 25th 1982.  SDF Macross TV series was October 3rd 1982. 

As for Blade Runner 2049. I probably won;t get to see it til next week, so those who get to it this weekend. Enjoy!!! 

And Macross Plus was preceded by "Back to the Future: Part 2" with the JAWS shark hologram. 

I won't be able to see this until Sunday night, but in the meantime I bought the soundtrack, and I gotta say I'm slightly disappointed. I was really looking forward to hearing Johann Johannson's contribution. Unfortunately, he was removed from the project and what we got in return was a generic sci-fi soundtrack, with some Elvis and Frank Sinatra sprinkled in for good measure. It's not really BAD per se, but I expected more from Hans Zimmer, given the fantastic work he has done in the past. Perhaps  im biased due to listening to that fantastic Vangelis soundtrack for years. 

Just saw it. Long movie that is well made with lots of depth and there were a couple of scenes/shots that I thought were unnecessary.

Leaving the theater I started to feel weird about seeing a sequel to a movie that I first saw when I was about ten years old in 1982. It made me think Blade Runner isn't as relevant as it once was and made me want to see a movie closer to the original book and also a DEUS EX movie based on the recent games.

Last, I thought the old Westwood PC game was a worthy sequel in itself.

Spoiler

The CG Sean Young/Rachel kinda killed the movie for me. Completely unnecessary.

Edited by TangledThorns

Just saw the movie with my wife (she took one for the team--not a Blade Runner fan, and tends to sleep around 10:00PM). Our showing started at 10:00PM, so that means we got out of the theater somewhere in the neighborhood of 5:00AM. 

Seriously, though, a good film, if a bit overlong, though the contemplative pacing is part and parcel of this universe and falls in line with the tone/mood established by Ridley Scott back in '82. Could it have been shorter? At the risk of sounding glib (and for the sake of not spoiling anything), sure.

That said, a really beautiful story, beautifully shot with a really engrossing soundscape, and the cumulative impact of the characters' decisions really does pack a punch by the end. Gosling was fantastic in this film, and despite the fact that no matter how good this film is, it would never have overtaken the first movie in my nostalgia-drenched dreams, it definitely stands on its own merits. 

Edited by gingaio

I will say that they could of killed 45 minutes or so of the footage and still made a good movie....lots of necessary stuff. BUT it was still a good movie that left more questions than answers. Certainly left room for another film.....30 years from now.

I saw it this afternoon and i have to say i have mixed feelings about it.First of all let me say that the movie was very well executed, great cinematography, production design, costumes(i loved Gosling's coat for example) etc. but honestly i never felt connected to any of the characters and the protagonist was a little too passive for me throughout the middle part of the movie(which is long). 

I think that where the filmmakers failed was in creating a unique and captivating mood and universe that the first one instead had. I know that thirty years have passed(both in the real world and in the cinematic one) but i was not interested in this new universe like i was in the one of the first movie. I mean, i saw the first blade runner 5 or 6 times but i clearly remember that, when i first saw it as an adult, in the end i was screaming " I want more!!!". I wanted to know more about those characters, about the replicants, about that world and every of its facets. At the end of this one, not so much and i was upset about this because everything was very well done with very high production values. In the end i would say i felt it was a very cold piece, great to watch and even interesting to discuss  with some of its subtle philosophical questions but, for me, very difficult, if not impossible, to love.

Edited by Ryoma

18 hours ago, Hikuro said:

I will say that they could of killed 45 minutes or so of the footage and still made a good movie....lots of necessary stuff. BUT it was still a good movie that left more questions than answers. Certainly left room for another film.....30 years from now.

There is room for a sequel and I read Ridley Scott wanted more BR films but 2049 isn't doing well with box office results. I doubt we'll see another BR film again. Perhaps, I hope, we'll see a film that is a more faithful adaptation of the book. 

23 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

There is room for a sequel and I read Ridley Scott wanted more BR films but 2049 isn't doing well with box office results. I doubt we'll see another BR film again. Perhaps, I hope, we'll see a film that is a more faithful adaptation of the book. 

As much as I often appreciate the source material, the novel wasn't the best version of the story, IMO. It's been some years since I read it, but I remember the characterization being more black-and-white and simpler than that of the film, and the narrative just being a bit more didactic. A lot of what we appreciate about the film--the complexity of the characters, the ambiguous line between human/replicant that fuels the driving theme of the movie--weren't really there in the written story. 

But yeah, I also saw that BR wasn't doing well at the box office. If the story ends with 2049, I'm fine with it. I thought they tied up the story well. 

Edited by gingaio

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Yes, it's loud but I like it. Really draws you into the film.

Is it Dunkirk loud?  If so I'll pass on seeing it in the theater - Dunkirk was way too loud and I don't know if I could stand nearly three hours of it.  At home I can adjust the sound as needed...

Awesome movie, loved it.

Will definitely see it a second time and buy the blu-ray when it's released.

Those of you saying it's too long, bah humbug! I wouldn't have minded it being even longer.

You can tell a lot of love went into thee creation of this movie as well as a lot of respect fro the original.

When I was younger I loved the idea of a Blade Runner type city, something busy and high tech. But now as a parent I'm glad it's not like that, I love having space and trees :) I appreciate this more after visiting Hong Kong last month, ugh, in the below photo I took the only thing missing was holograms and flying cars (spinners). The food was very good though!

IMG_20170927_130130.thumb.jpg.207ad1f211890ae8098c002921894648.jpg

Edited by TangledThorns

No spoilers that I'm aware of, but just tagging it in case:

Saw it yesterday. It's refreshing to have such a deliberate change of pace. I've never been that big a fan of Blade Runner (still haven't seen the first one

:o), though I've gotten a lot of it through osmosis over the years. This movie does everything GitS (the American movie) tried to do but better and with infinitely more confidence to boot.

I really enjoyed the long, slow camera movements. The movie's in no rush to tell itself, which is great, and gives you plenty of time to just... soak it in. It could sometimes get a move on, but all in all, it's exponentially more positive than not.

Gosling's character's arc is really good. Really, really good. The way the movie handles its themes is also really, really good. (Again, way better than GitS.) The love scene between a replicant, a human, and a hologram was sort of weird, but also mostly just really fascinating. In fact, the way the movie handles said hologram was also really awesome, with how it never quite touches what it touches. I got a kick out of that every time I saw it.

The movie IS a slog, though. Despite all the praise I have for the pacing, some cuts definitely could have been made to the nearly three-hours runtime without sacrificing "immersion." Giving the audience time to ruminate about what they're seeing onscreen is great, but sometimes it was too much time and my mind wandered.

You haven't seen Slow SF until you have sat through a Tarkovski movie...

I did like the pacing, it gave me time to marvel at the scenery, it also reminded me how Kubrick did things, or Sergio Leone.

Spoiler

I was also impressed how the movie presented itself as an alternate reality rather than an evolution of our timeline. You were never thinking about how the cars and stuff flied or why nobody has a mobile phone. And then it was even more shocking to have things there from our very own time like the ship scrap yard from india or the electronic waste kids or the drone strikes.

Did anybody figure how the post-traumatic interview was supposed to work? 

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

No spoilers that I'm aware of, but just tagging it in case:

Hide contents

Saw it yesterday. It's refreshing to have such a deliberate change of pace. I've never been that big a fan of Blade Runner (still haven't seen the first one

:o), though I've gotten a lot of it through osmosis over the years. This movie does everything GitS (the American movie) tried to do but better and with infinitely more confidence to boot.

I really enjoyed the long, slow camera movements. The movie's in no rush to tell itself, which is great, and gives you plenty of time to just... soak it in. It could sometimes get a move on, but all in all, it's exponentially more positive than not.

Gosling's character's arc is really good. Really, really good. The way the movie handles its themes is also really, really good. (Again, way better than GitS.) The love scene between a replicant, a human, and a hologram was sort of weird, but also mostly just really fascinating. In fact, the way the movie handles said hologram was also really awesome, with how it never quite touches what it touches. I got a kick out of that every time I saw it.

The movie IS a slog, though. Despite all the praise I have for the pacing, some cuts definitely could have been made to the nearly three-hours runtime without sacrificing "immersion." Giving the audience time to ruminate about what they're seeing onscreen is great, but sometimes it was too much time and my mind wandered.

It was two replicants and a hologram ;)

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

It was two replicants and a hologram ;)

I thought

the prostitute was a human--no wait, you're right, duh. She saves him, don't know why I didn't catch that first time. Her "You prefer fakes" line must have gotten stuck in my head.

5 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I did like the pacing, it gave me time to marvel at the scenery, it also reminded me how Kubrick did things, or Sergio Leone.

Yeah, I liked it too, don't get me wrong. But a few parts did drag for me.

Edited by kajnrig