5 hours ago, electric indigo said:

You haven't seen Slow SF until you have sat through a Tarkovski movie...

I did like the pacing, it gave me time to marvel at the scenery, it also reminded me how Kubrick did things, or Sergio Leone.

Reveal hidden contents

I was also impressed how the movie presented itself as an alternate reality rather than an evolution of our timeline. You were never thinking about how the cars and stuff flied or why nobody has a mobile phone. And then it was even more shocking to have things there from our very own time like the ship scrap yard from india or the electronic waste kids or the drone strikes.

Did anybody figure how the post-traumatic interview was supposed to work? 

Spoiler

I think its supposed to be a 2049 version of the Voight-Kampf test. Similar to what we saw in the original film where time and a emotional response is a factor but for PTSD. The main difference is that it doesn't test if you are a replicant, it already knows that. It tests to check if you are a functioning replicant.

On 10/8/2017 at 2:13 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I'm hearing that it's loud---like, Dunkirk loud.  True?   

Yeah, the score gets painfully loud at times. That was the only part of the movie I didn't like.

25 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

Yeah, the score gets painfully loud at times. That was the only part of the movie I didn't like.

Sooooo... wait until it's out on Bluray so that I can adjust the volume to my tolerance level.  I remember going to a screening of Rogue One and sitting through a trailer for Logan that was so loud it was nausea-headache inducing painful, as in 'I was surprised my ears didn't bleed afterwards' painful.

14 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Sooooo... wait until it's out on Bluray so that I can adjust the volume to my tolerance level.

It's only at certain parts. Think they are going for a low booming echo effect. The poor speakers were struggling to keep up.

As someone who doesn't like the first movie -- I'll say it's a flawed masterpiece -- this one works. It does everything right. Except that it is really long and sometimes slow. (Modern films have fast tempo and after you are used to it, you find older movies a drag.)

This film is breaking my longstanding rule not to watch sequels. :p (Of course, I watched a couple of reviews to make sure it is of certain quality first.)

I like especially how it does Ghost in the Shell better than Ghost in the Shell. What does it mean to have a soul? That's central to GitS, and only incidental in Blade Runner, but this one does it better.

Not a spoiler: K discovers the answer for himself, as well as his relationship to others.

Edited by nhyone

So I went to see this again tonite. It was fantastic, and this time I was able to focus more on the story than the spectacle. It's such a shame that this movie is doing so poorly in the box office. This movie is a masterpiece, and I am glad I got to experience it in IMAX. I think I'll catch it one more time in IMAX before it leaves. Theres no way my home theater could do this film any justice. 

Was a fan of the first one, but I'd be the first to admit it had its issues.  This one, however, is fantastic.  My only concern is that *spoilers:*

Spoiler

they will make a sequel, and it will be "Rise of the Planet of the Replicants" or some crap.  I so don't want that.  Just let it end here, or do something different with a sequel.  I don't want a replicant/human war.  It's too cliche.

Edited by HardlyNever

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Btw, was anybody else impressed by Dave Bautista's performance? 

Jared Leto was, to me, the weakest link in BR2049's cast.

Yes, Bautista was very good. Barely recognized him as the wrestler he once was. 

Leto was OK, I blame more of the fault on the way his character was written than the actor. Reminded me of Oscar Isacc's character in Ex Machina. Both genius a-hole CEOs trying to make and control artificial intelligence.

Edited by TangledThorns

Wallace & Nathan were megalomaniacs in their own league, but Isaac nailed it while Leto was trying to hard, IMO. Interestingly, Villeneuve had David Bowie in mind for the role.

Spoiler

Random note: Syd Mead's original design for the police spinner had the vehicle sporting an array of guns ("Laser Spinner"). K's spinner actually does pack quite a punch when he takes out Luv's convoy. And in the startup sequence after the scavenger's attack, you can see a Peugeot logo flashing up at the dashboard.

Just saw it today, good movie, glad I saw it in Imax, but I can't say it was great.  Agreed on Bautista, he did an excellent job giving the character a good bit of feeling.  The music was too loud in some spots (what is with that new trend anyway?  Do we HAVE to feel the music now?) but overall was fine, much better than Dunkirk in that regard.

18 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Wallace & Nathan were megalomaniacs in their own league, but Isaac nailed it while Leto was trying to hard, IMO. Interestingly, Villeneuve had David Bowie in mind for the role.

Reveal hidden contents

Random note: Syd Mead's original design for the police spinner had the vehicle sporting an array of guns ("Laser Spinner"). K's spinner actually does pack quite a punch when he takes out Luv's convoy. And in the startup sequence after the scavenger's attack, you can see a Peugeot logo flashing up at the dashboard.

I first read that as "Wallace & Gromit were megalomanics in their own league."  

LOL :p

I watched the BR Final Cut on FIOS last night and it made me appreciate how BR 2049's creators made the sequel work so well. That being said I can see why the younger folk wouldn't be interested in 2049, in their minds the original is ancient to them. I have coworkers in their mid-20s that I consider geeks just like me; love games, anime, etc, however they have no clue about Blade Runner. With ease of access they got so much more to more geek out about today compared to what I had growing up back in the 1980s or as an adult in the 90s for that matter.

23 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Interlink.

Spoiler

From Screenrant:

When K returns from killing Sapper Morton in the film’s opening, he’s subjected to a “Post-Trauma Baseline Test” to ensure that he has not become emotionally affected by the killing. As a successor to the Voight-Kampff Test used in the original film to trigger and measure emotional instability in Replicants, it appears to function the same way. K is tasked with repeating a set of call-and-response phrases after prompts are given, with emotionally-charged questions posed to trip him up – assuming he’s strayed from baseline. Several of the prompts are taken from a longer string:

And blood-black nothingness began to spin A system of cells interlinked within cells interlinked within cells interlinked within one stem. And dreadfully distinct Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

It’s no random phrase, but lines of poetry taken from Vladimir Nabokov’s Pale Fire. It’s no random book either, but a story built in layers around a fictional poem and its editor, seen as an early precursor to metafiction, and even pre-Internet hypertext. Playing with the idea of what is real, what is not, and who gets to decide, the novel also takes it title from Shakespeare’s Timon of Athens – the Bard’s most enigmatic work. If you’re interested in giving it a read, look for the same copy K keeps in his apartment: the one that Joi, ironically, hates.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, electric indigo said:

If you’re interested in giving it a read, look for the same copy K keeps in his apartment: the one that Joi, ironically, hates.

Joi hates it because K does.

"Saying exactly what you want to hear".

Did Joi gained awareness? Most people would say no...

I'm debating on getting the blu-ray when its released. For back story my wife got me the DVD special edition of the original film when we first started dating last decade. That's how I knew she was a keeper, the DVD special edition on the other hand... It was sold along with the rest of my DVDs in a garage sale two Summers ago.

Unless it comes with something very cool, similar to LOGAN's Noir version for example, I think I may just buy a HD copy of Blade Runner 2049 on Amazon or Google Play instead. 

Saw it yesterday. It's long and slow, but it tells a good story that makes a fitting sequel to the original, IMHO. TBH, I think I prefer this film over the original.

Nice seeing a few old faces besides Harrison's in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it finally yesterday and I was pleased. In my opinion the movie requires multiple viewings and might have the potential to get better over time.

Now what baffles me the most about the movie was why K has the memories of the wooden horse. I searched a bit around and have not found an answer to that neither was it discussed in the reviews I saw about the movie. 

Now there might be the possibility that I'm missing something obvious here but here is my take on it. I want to hear what your take on it is. Afterwards you can click on the spoilers to see what I thought about it. :)

So to me the memory of kid in the orphanage is a real memory. It is the memory of Ana who was put their for her own safety to be hidden away from Tyrell/Wallace.

A colleague of mine pointed out that the kid must be a girl because it has hair. In the scene where K enters the orphanage you can see that the girls have hair while the boys are shaved. Of course this could not be a hard rule but it is interesting nonetheless.

That said why did K had the memory implanted?

My theory is that Ana fabricated the memory unconsciously because her memory was also altered after she was taken out of the orphanage. Since she is half/full Replicant I assume you can do that. Once she was too old for the orphanage the resistance extracted her from the place and implemented artificial memories in her about a genetic disorder so that she can not go anywhere dangerous and no one can get to her to extract a genetic sample. 

Since her memories about the orphanage are that strong they bubble up from her subconscious and where interwoven partially or fully into memories she sold to Wallace and where put in Replicants.

It would explain why Mariette looks so interested in the wooden horse after the night in Ks apartment and why Freysa says something along the line: we (the Replicants) all want to be that child. Other Replicants have fragments of  this memory implemented too.

It also explains why Ana doesn't tell K that it would be possible that even if the memory is real it doesn't mean that it is not his. She just doesn't know but is deeply moved because the memory triggers her subconsciousness. 

Of course this leads to the question why the memories where released to production if it is illegal to implement real memories. I would imagine that since Ana doesn't really remembers the incident at the furnace deliberately so there is no way to tell if it is a real memory other than for Ana and she is not the person in the chain who does the testing. Or there is no reason to be suspicious. Also she might fabricate so many memories over time that she forget she was to one who put this one on a chip to be implemented into the Replicants or she implemented them with out even knowing she put them there.

This is of course not a bullet proof scenario but all other explanations I have for it don't make any sense to me. For example if the memories where implemented by Wallace to track down Deckart  he must have know who the person in the memory is. If it is the doing of Wallace I would image they would keep a tighter leash on K than they show in the movie. Something like an implemented tracker or a cortex bomb in his skull etc.

So what do you think? I'm really curious if there is a good explanation for why K is having these memories that I missed. 

My take on why K has memories of the wooden horse..

Spoiler

short answer; 
Since she is a 'vendor' to tyrell corp, her dream work gets implanted to all replicants, and by that token this wooden horse subconscious memory is part of every replicant including K. However, only K notes the significance of the wooden horse due to his work in tracking down sapper.

Long answer;
Ana's skills in creating dreams comes from the human side of imagination. The side effect if that is she unconsciously embeds memories of her subconscious into her dream/imagination work, as imaginations are derived/built upon experiences/memories in real life.

K's assignment to the LAPD, makes his discovery of the date on the tree unwittingly giving meaning to the memory he 'inherited'. 

Potential story twist;
Perhaps Ana herself isn't deckard's daughter after all, and his actual child is actually protected further by submitting Ana as a plausible daughter by implanting into her the wooden horse memory. In fact Ana is the ultimate 'Trojan Horse' for she herself is manipulated to program specific dreams for an eventual replicant uprising.

The premise of this twist would rest on the fact; Is the wooden horse dream actually REAL?

Gripe
The only major gripe i had was why Luv did not simply kill K when they caught deckard. He was killing Tyrell operatives kidnapping deckard and was obviously trying to protect deckard. Also why didn't the LAPD also just wipe out K since the madam wanted to maintain order and any trace of replicants being able to be reproduce should never be leaked.  The madam just let him walk out of the police station after he mentioned he 'took care' of things! That's the most lazy assed police report ever?

My take on the wooden horse, going for the most simple explanation that is supported by the events in the movie. :)

Spoiler

Ana put her memories in K, simple as that. Even though it was illegal to implant real memories, nobody would find out if it were her memories. She even said "Every memory has a piece of its artist."

Other Replicants might have the same memory, but they thought it was created. Only K was in the position to find out it was real.

Mariette was interested in the horse because it was wood. Real wood is expensive. The office in Wallace Corporation HQ was full of wood decor, but I missed the significance because the revelation that wood was expensive came much later in the film.

Edited by nhyone

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I liked the "Blade Runner Black Out 2022" short very much, so this is good news to me:

Adult Swim and Crunchyroll have joined forces with Alcon Television Group, a division of Alcon Entertainment, to produce and distribute a new anime series called BLADE RUNNER – BLACK LOTUS that is set to feature top creators from Japan.

Inspired by the critically acclaimed Oscar-winning film BLADE RUNNER 2049, BLADE RUNNER – BLACK LOTUS will feature thirteen 30-minute episodes produced by animation studio Sola Digital Arts (Ultraman).

Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed) and Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex) will direct all episodes of the premiere season. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) is a creative producer.

While BLADE RUNNER – BLACK LOTUS’ plot is being kept under wraps for now, producers have confirmed the story will take place in the year 2032 and will include some familiar characters from the BLADE RUNNER universe.

From Crunchyroll

5 hours ago, Kelsain said:

orly_owl.jpg

Wow, that sounds promising. Interesting too, that Appleseed & GitS are both derivatives of Blade Runner.

It's like a turtle returning to nest on the beach where it hatched.

Don't forget BGC. There are tons of references to it, from Priss & the Replicants to Leon (some claim the name is a reference to Replicant Leon Kowalski and his personality and look are influenced by Deckard, but I don't know if I agree), and Largo basically follows Roy's storyline.