1/60 Queadluun Rau Custom

Kurisama

Cannon = 95% complete.

post-1623-0-91690500-1340809165_thumb.jpg

Will be making 3 attachment points; one for the swivel to mount on the Rau, one to attach a grip; for use with Alto's '25 and one to attach to a wing hard point, just for shits and giggles.

EDIT: Just noticed my image attachments are being resized and compressed.. hmm. Here is a link to the orignal rez; http://i47.tinypic.com/a4vak8.jpg

Edited by Kurisama

Impact Cannon w/pylon & grip attachments; $25

Impact Cannon w/Rau hub attachments; $35

It's official, I'm making the cowl piece. So that only leaves that and the boots (and perhaps a hip-twist piece?) to go!

I'm not going to make the legs I've decided - I can live with the skinny legs. For now.

Once these are done, I can concentrate on the other projects for the 1/60 line - but I will come back to this; the next step would be to make a head unit, back pack engine array, antennae and cowl for a Queadluun Nona. You know u want it.

Cowl piece :

post-1623-0-00377000-1340937847_thumb.jpg

If i could get the codpiece to come off the torso - I'd make a new one too, but I can't seem to separate it.

Thanks for positive comments guys! I do also appreciate constructive feedback, don't be shy!

Just curious, are you guys more leaning more towards individual components (either only specific bits or bits to build up the entire set gradually) or the whole set in one go?

What's different about the cowl, other than the antenna?

Personally, I'd probably go for a couple sets of parts. Definitely the face, maybe the arms & engine details. I think I'm OK with the stock missile racks. As awesome as the cannon looks, I probably wouldn't use it - at least not on the Qrau... Besides, when I get to this project, I kinda want to make it my own, you know? I'm not opposed to using some of your AWESOME work for the trickier parts - but I also want to build up my apoxie skills.

Great job on all this. Very inspiring. Can't wait to see the prototypes when they finally arrive.

Edited by Kelsain

Imagine a dual cannon Qrau :blink:

Overkill!

Gian, there is no such thing as overkill. You either go home after the fight, or they do.

Edited by Benson13

What's different about the cowl, other than the antenna?

Personally, I'd probably go for a couple sets of parts. Definitely the face, maybe the arms & engine details. I think I'm OK with the stock missile racks. As awesome as the cannon looks, I probably wouldn't use it - at least not on the Qrau... Besides, when I get to this project, I kinda want to make it my own, you know? I'm not opposed to using some of your AWESOME work for the trickier parts - but I also want to build up my apoxie skills.

Great job on all this. Very inspiring. Can't wait to see the prototypes when they finally arrive.

Apart from the antennae - the TV cowl has more rectangular inlets (14?) that dot the contours, also has a few greebly panels that are on the sides and overal more 'basic' shape than the slicker DYRL version - it's nothing a skilled modeller couldn't do - but alas, I can't. But I can model one in CG :D I am envious u can use putty and epoxy or whatever!

I prefer the entire set

Sexcellenté.

Wow! Awesome work! If I ever get to any of my projects, I'd probably go piecemeal.

Definitely love the cannon. Is it roughly in-scale for a Q-Rea?

Looking forward to a build-up! :)

I've made the cannon as per the proportions and measurements of the Robot Spirits version of the Rhea - and a few screen caps from M.Frontier and some embellishment on the finer details by myself. Once it was done, I used the one screen shot of the cannon with the grip exposed from when Alto used it to kill the Vajra - and that is the same size as on the regular '25 gunpod - and there u go! Closest best guess to scale. Turns out to be about 10mm longer than the '25 gunpod at full extension. Yeah. Big and chunky!

I think I'm gonna add cannons to both of my Rau's. They kinda look naked without it.

At first I though u meant 2 on EACH Rau - which is what I was playing with the idea - as this hub replacement is only for the Rau's left-hand-side hub. So I updated the shapeways file to include the 2 pieces for each side, so even if u get 1 of the cannon/hub set, u can decide on what side u want it on. Or buy two and make you Rau look boss.

Imagine a dual cannon Qrau :blink:

Overkill!

As above :D

Gian, there is no such thing as overkill. You either go home after the fight, or they do.

Wurd. I started on the foot today;

post-1623-0-20037000-1341038822_thumb.jpg

Should have articulation to curl front and back foot pieces for flying mode action.

Poot poot.

Foot finished, Added those 4 nubs to stop the smooth curve from scratching the inside of the leg armour - should work in theory...

Added a little bit of super simple foot articulation - about a 30 degree lean forward. That little peg it 5mm long and 4mm in diameter - so we'll see how the test goes...

Enjoy!

post-1623-0-98418700-1341195981_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-53732400-1341200631_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Added a shot of a possible antennae for the TV Rau conversion. Trying to mix it with some DYRL style.

Edited by Kurisama

Made clip-on/over pauldrons in TV style. Again, should work in theory - I think I got all the tolerances/clearances right... I noticed my Rau's original pauldrons are a different shade of red, and are irregular of shape - so these should be a good replacement, also just settled on this design for the antennae.

post-1623-0-07304500-1341243822_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-14735000-1341243825_thumb.jpg

I also decided not to do the cowl - it's getting too pricey. I can live with the one it has now.

I guess the parts are down now? Just waiting on my VF-11 add-on parts (hopefully tomorrow) to gauge quality and then I ship for every Q.Rau piece in here! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

BOOM! Got the test pieces for the head today from Shapeways;

White Detail (WD);

post-1623-0-41383000-1341278455_thumb.jpg

White Strong and Flexible (WSF);

post-1623-0-71312900-1341278464_thumb.jpg

Visor size;

post-1623-0-81993900-1341278470_thumb.jpg

Overall - not too bad! The fine panel line I have running down the sides of the face a nearly non-existant. The WSF is powdery and misses the fine double recessed eye lid and is grainy - I think this may turn out ok with some sanding, priming and etching back some definition. The WD on the other hand looks much nicer and feels a lot like a finished product. I may make the scale slightly bigger - just a few mm, I think it would look good.

Thoughts?

Next up - send thru everything else in this thread!

I think I may choose WSF for the larger pieces and WD for the delicate detailed and smaller pieces. Updates in a few weeks I suppose on the final product, i guess?

Last thing left to model is some sort of waist extension/articulation/swivel - but I'm kinda over this project at the moment!

Thanks Benson - Pretty exciting for me opening up the parcel this morning - so weird to see something you've made with 1's and 0's basically - turn out, fleshed out - in the palm of your hand! There is no rush dude, they'll be up on shapeways for a while.

Is that anime accurate?

Nope! But I took inspiration fron Holland's Devilfish from Eureka 7 and I also some sprite art of (maybe) a Macross game that had an enemy mech with a similar config - just can't seem to find it!

Also how difficult is it to get this toy apart?

Super easy dude, I'll throw up how-to pics, or at least how i did - of the disassembly of the Rau.

I'm about to place an order to get these printed - once I do a final check on the physical pieces, you can buy them on Shapeways.com - just click on the link in my signature for the online shop - you can go there now, but nothing is available for purchase just yet.

Heads-up - the Head Unit is available now!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/600622/hembra-xeno-mech-head-unit.html

Some more test photos, thanks to my shitty camera phone;

post-1623-0-52376100-1341466755_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-43692300-1341466787_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-30746100-1341466813_thumb.jpg

A bit hard to see the detail on the WD (first image) and I'd suggest WSF polished for the final product. I modified the geometry to make the lower face plate sit a bit lower to reveal more of the inner bottom eye lip and the vertical panel line that circles the face has been made a bit wider. Enjoy!

Just sent off a massive order to shapeways - should be here within the month - got the price on the arms down by rearranging the geometry and putting both arms in the one file - needed meshlab to effectively poly reduce to be under 1,000,000 polys. Also added a new experimental waist swivel piece in 2 sizes (2cm & 1.5cm) - not sure about how it'll turn out.

Now, time to give the Rau a rest and start my other 1/60 project...

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping up on Kurisama's work inspired me to pick up a Q-Rau... and I now know what everyone is talking about in regards to flopiness with this toy. Has anyone had any experience accessing the hip joints to tighten them up enough to keep the upper body from flopping around? I'm planning to get in on all the shapeway parts Kurisama is making, but I'd hate to throw them onto this toy without getting the hips properly tightened. Appreciate any and all advice, folks. :)