1/60 Queadluun Rau Custom

Kurisama

I have to ask, Kurisama, do you ever sleep? There is A LOT of progress on this project in a very short time. Or is it just that easy for you?

A bit of both, just decided to concentrate on this, this week instead of actual work. But been going to bed at 2am or 3am lately, which is killer cause my 2yo son likes to get up at 6am...

For around $120, I'd be in for a set. As for your question of the cannon, Abso-freakin'-lutely. I would definitely make a Frontier Klan Rau. It'd go along with the Klan pilot figure I'm working on in my ultra spare time.

You're making a Queadluun Rhea!?!?! :D Guess I'll have to move onto something like a .Nona project next... :D

Keep up the good work man.. It looks awesome!!!

Thanks Kicker! Taking advantage of this urge to create before it wanes. Next up tonight, the manipulators.

Hey doodes.

So boob blasters are ready - but I can't decide on if i want the 4 bits of greeble that skirt the bottom edges to be parallel to the top rim or the bottom - on the 1/60 they're cut at an angle and so I have to follow that so that these can be glued on top. If I follow the 1/144 kit (the ones that run parallel to the top, or 'A') then it looks a bit out of whack - or 'B' which follow the bottom rim, looks also a bit out of whack. Thoughts anyone?

post-1623-0-22147300-1339828425_thumb.jpg

I tweaked the thickness of the fingers (both ribbed part and tip) and I think it looks better for it. I think I'll have to have 3 fingers that aren't articulated (a solid piece each) included in this in case they don't work so well.

post-1623-0-04810200-1339941618_thumb.jpgpost-1623-0-46562400-1339941622_thumb.jpg

Once the supporting sprue (hard to see in the pic) is removed from the bottom of it, it will be glued to the back, right above the two thrusters. Just a bit of raised greeble found on the 1/144 kit. Pretty experimental at this point tho. Not sure how well it will be implemented as the surface it's going on to has a slight curve.

You're making a Queadluun Rhea!?!?! :D Guess I'll have to move onto something like a .Nona project next... :D

No, I would make one if you make those parts. I was making a Klan pilot figure, but don't have plans for the Q-Rau.

So, all models (sans feet and possible new hip component to allow rotation) are uploaded and awaiting my other shipment of my previous order to gauge quality and materials.

And so far, to get ALL (6) of the components (you need only choose one style of shoulder missiles and NOT choose the manipulators - as these are included in the arms set); it's going to cost you $136.50 before shipping.

Not quite what I was expecting.

I've tried a few different variations of arranging the components for exporting but it does very little on the price, if at all. Will have to research this more thoroughly. So I'm going to go with plan B - if after the feet, it is too expensive; I have read about a local company here (literally 20 to 30 mins drove from my house) that does injection molding. I will enquire about costs and minimum production numbers - so this may A) make it cheaper, B) easier to paint and C) be able to be inspected personally for faults or any other issue. Will keep you all posted.

P.S. - Don't think I'm marking this up for profit, at this point I'm marking the prices up to the nearest $0.50, and in the end I will make less than $10 back per 'entire set' sold. Fair I think, for the hours put into this.

Can I gauge interest in numbers for the 'entire set' verses 'individual components'?

EDIT: Price lowered, I accidentally counted the shoulder missile set twice - forgetting I'd included enough parts for 2 launchers in each set. Sorry!

Edited by Kurisama

I know I'd be interested in some of the individual components, at least. The head for sure, maybe arms & greebles. Probably not the missile launchers though. The current ones look ok by me. $136 is WAY too steep for me, as a set.

Looking great!

Why the chest cannons and tri-barrel lasers though?

The Yamato has those, so are these just slight improvements to the existing?

And if you paint the Yamato manipulators gray they look pretty darn good as well.

Everything you're doing looks great, just curious about a few details is all...

Edited by DarrinG

Thanks for the questions! Well, the boob cannons - a few things here; A) would be fiddly to mask for painting, B) looked a little plain and C) were slightly different to the TV version. The tri-barrel because I was concerned that the original piece might be a tight fit - but it was also an opportunity to make it a little more detailed.

The manipulators... Well you can blame them for this whole fiasco! It started off because the fingers on mine were super floppy. Tried to open the cover and nearly broke it. Also noticed a lot of other people had the same problem. I also thought that the finger needed a joint to give more range of movement. The originals were pretty lame.

You can put me down for a set. I am in agreement that the chest cannons probably don't need the mod, especially if it's going to save on cost. How about pricing for the Frontier shoulder cannon piece?

Just did a quick upload of the cannon's dimensions and the adaptor piece (same part that hold the missiles and some rough geo that will hold the cannon, and allow to swivel) and it comes to $30 in WSF. Cannon itself will presumably be less.

Just did a quick upload of the cannon's dimensions and the adaptor piece (same part that hold the missiles and some rough geo that will hold the cannon, and allow to swivel) and it comes to $30 in WSF. Cannon itself will presumably be less.

Are you going to load that at Shapeways? I definitely want one of those. Hell, this is making me want to go and get my Meltran squad out and finish all that up. Thanks for the inspiration to finish an old project.

Yeah - I uploaded a proxy - just the dimension and rough shape of the cannon. Nothing final yet. But as soon as I'm done marking these maldito assignments for work - I'll get onto making the cannon and adaptor. I think I may give the feet a miss, probably. I don't know. New feet are maybe over-kill? Price is already nearing the $150 mark...

EDIT: But in answer to your question - yes, absolutely I'll load it up and make available to my fellow MW'ers! ZENTORAN! ZENTORAN! ZENTORAN! etc etc etc.

Edited by Kurisama

Yeah - I uploaded a proxy - just the dimension and rough shape of the cannon. Nothing final yet. But as soon as I'm done marking these maldito assignments for work - I'll get onto making the cannon and adaptor. I think I may give the feet a miss, probably. I don't know. New feet are maybe over-kill? Price is already nearing the $150 mark...

EDIT: But in answer to your question - yes, absolutely I'll load it up and make available to my fellow MW'ers! ZENTORAN! ZENTORAN! ZENTORAN! etc etc etc.

Awesome. If I can get the Klan figure in the next week or so, I'll post up the project. I think I have like 5 different Meltrans including Milia. They all range from Gundam characters, one's from Haruhi Suzumiya, one from an unknown show or manga, and then the Klan. Please let me know when you get it up on their for order.

Looks like Yamato got the Meltran pilot size / to suit size ratio correct to the line art.

But it looks like overall both the Rau and pilot should have been larger compared to their Valks.

This goes for their Regult as well.

They did think of a clever way to avoid trying to get the pilot's legs into the Rau legs by enlarging the backpack and having her legs slide in there instead.

I tried to mock it up in Photoshop, let me know if something looks off...

post-8486-0-39736400-1340111637_thumb.jpg