PS3 Macross Game Compatibility

big F

Finally I am gonna take the plunge and get a PS3, Now I know for emulation and backwards compatibility the only real contender is the original one with the full PS2 chip-set, but these are no longer available new, and I'm not overly excited about buying some thing that is nearly five years old and depending on seller could be far from working correctly etc.

With this in mind I would obviously be getting a PS3 Slim in one guise or another, What I really want to know is if any of the PS1/2 Macross Play-station games work with the Slim, I know that emulation is hit and miss but I thought I'd ask here as I don't really have that many games for my PS1 and PS2 that are not Macross related that are not already supported, so anyone with actual experience with the Slim PS3 shout out and let me know.

Only way you're going to play Macross PS1 games is with a Japanese PS3, porblem with that is that some of your local blurays (region B) will be locked out. And unfortunately, there are no PS2 compatable slims, which is odd, since all of these "HD" collections with PS2 engine games keep cominng out...

Keith's right, the only way to play any Japanese games would be to get a JP PS3. And if you're set on getting a slim Japanese PS3, then you'll be limited to JP PS1 games, not PS2 games.

Another alternative would be getting a local PS3 and buying a Cobra USB jailbreak dongle. With the Cobra dongle, you can rip any region PS1 game to your PS3's hard drive and then play it off the hard drive. The only caveat is that your PS3 has to be running firmware 3.55 or 3.41.

The Cobra dongle also works with any region PS2 game, but only if you have one of the original 60gb or 20gb PS3's. And since you're in the UK, also check to make sure it works with UK PS3.

As far as compatibility goes, I've checked gotten Macross DYRL for the PS2 to run on my 60gb USA model via an old USB hack. But since I don't have Macross DYRL for the PS1, I can't test that one out. Though the PS3 has near-perfect PS1 compatibility, so I'd be truly shocked if it doesn't play.

Keith's right, the only way to play any Japanese games would be to get a JP PS3. And if you're set on getting a slim Japanese PS3, then you'll be limited to JP PS1 games, not PS2 games.

Another alternative would be getting a local PS3 and buying a Cobra USB jailbreak dongle. With the Cobra dongle, you can rip any region PS1 game to your PS3's hard drive and then play it off the hard drive. The only caveat is that your PS3 has to be running firmware 3.55 or 3.41.

The Cobra dongle also works with any region PS2 game, but only if you have one of the original 60gb or 20gb PS3's. And since you're in the UK, also check to make sure it works with UK PS3.

As far as compatibility goes, I've checked gotten Macross DYRL for the PS2 to run on my 60gb USA model via an old USB hack. But since I don't have Macross DYRL for the PS1, I can't test that one out. Though the PS3 has near-perfect PS1 compatibility, so I'd be truly shocked if it doesn't play.

Also be aware, running old firmware will mean that you can't connect to the playstation network.

Also be aware, running old firmware will mean that you can't connect to the playstation network.

Another great bonus! :D

I still have never played my Macross PS2 game. I bought years ago. I bought swap disc and my PS2 died a day before I got the game.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have had the PS2 game for years now but to this day I do not own a PS2, so I've only ever played it a few times using other people's consoles. Still, I remember clearing both TV and movie campaigns, it's a pretty easy game. So don't worry too much about it, you might be disappointed if you expect too much out of it.

The PSP ones are much better. I'm looking forward to the PS3 version, though.

Edited by Renato

I bought my Japanese PS2 while in Tokyo just so I could play the game, I don't actually own any non Japanese PS2 games.

What I was hoping to do was reduce the number of boxes connected to our screen, but looks like I'd be better off chipping my Ceramic white Japanese PS2, and archive the PS1 and just get which ever PS3 as our local Games stores all have an update to latest firmware policy on all traded in consoles, :( So no modded Media centre'd Xboxe's and no chance of a "friendly" firmware PS3.

Oh why cant it be as easy as a PSP :(

If you've got a powerful PC, you can run your PS2 games using the PCSX2 emulator. Unfortunately, my i5-equipped laptop isn't quite powerful enough to run the Macross PS2 game without the occasional slowdown, but a lot of PS2 games run fantastically on it, like Resident Evil 4 or the Zeta Gundam game. As a matter of fact, they can look much better on the PC than they do on the PS2 because you can run them at higher resolutions and with anti-aliasing. So long as your computer has a half-decent display card, your CPU is more likely to be the limiting factor.

I hook my laptop up via HDMI to my plasma TV and use a wireless Logitech controller to play from the sofa. Good times!

it doesnt matter if you buy a japanese ps3 or american they both play blu ray movies & games vice versa because they are region A, except ps2 games on slim models. also the old 20gb & 60gb japanese ps3 have back words compatibly for example jap ps3 20 or 60 region A for all blu ray & games & japanese ps2 games for jap system & same applies for american 20 & 60gb but with american ps2 bc not jap ps2 though hope that helps & if you have an external hdd you can install ps2 games on those just use google

Thats only relevant if you have firmware 3.55 or lower. If you have use then you can t use the playstation store, which kinda defeats the point of having a PS3. I know that release date PS3's are fully compatible, and regioning of games stops playing of non region correct games and dvd's but I am also aware that there quite a few games that despite being region what ever on the box and disc are in fact region 0 which is universal. I now have a Release day 60gig and so far I have had no problems playing PS2 titles but have not tried any Macross ones due to them all being in storage still, So I guess my question should now be...... Has anyone tried to play them on a non Japanese release day 60 gig PS3.

I now have a Release day 60gig and so far I have had no problems playing PS2 titles but have not tried any Macross ones due to them all being in storage still, So I guess my question should now be...... Has anyone tried to play them on a non Japanese release day 60 gig PS3.

Congrats on getting a 60gb PS3!

And yes, I have a US 60gb version and PS2 games play fine on it, but PS1 and PS2 Macross games don't because they're Japanese. The only way I got Macross DYRL for the PS2 to run on mine was through a USB trick.