TOP WO NERAE! GUN-BUSTAA!

Keith

Is Nadia from Gunbuster II? If so - then no, I haven't.

Pete

Fushigi no Umi Nadia / Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Anno's first full TV series. It's basically prototype Evangelion done with a Jules Verne 20,000 League's Under The Sea theme .Your reaction to the Anno-isms in Gunbuster in relation to Eva were my tip that you hadn't seen it. It's the next step in his story evolution after Gunbuster, and really, you "must" see it. There are a handful of crap episodes mixed in due to Anno leaving after the network forced a lengthening of the series, but the beginning, most of the middle, and the end are all epic.

As fir Diebuster, that's pretty much in line with the new post FLCL order of Gainax, and the the major lineage step inbetween the older works & Gurren Lagann. Also very much worth seeing.

Fushigi no Umi Nadia / Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

...There are a handful of crap episodes mixed in due to Anno leaving after the network forced a lengthening of the series, but the beginning, most of the middle, and the end are all epic.

Basically episodes 24 to 30 can be flipped through. They add very little to the story and the animation is really bad. Otherwise agree, its a great series and as you said there are a lot of ideas and visuals that are later present in NGE.

I even remember hearing a rumor that Nadia and Evangelion took place in the same universe!

No, no they don't.

Basically episodes 24 to 30 can be flipped through. They add very little to the story and the animation is really bad. Otherwise agree, its a great series and as you said there are a lot of ideas and visuals that are later present in NGE.

The problem with that is that there's enough of the Red Noah plot mixed in that they are necessary. Instead, I'd reccomend skipping the Africa episodes, as those are equal parts useless and borderline racist, the musical episode however is still fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-278-0-70491600-1325237399_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-71381900-1325237419_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-18116900-1325237436_thumb.jpg

This is the box art for the upcoming bluray set. While I want to pass due to the lack of subtitles, I just can't seem to make myself cancel the order. Diebuster is also getting a similar release in August, though since that one also won't have subtitles, I can't quite justify the import cost on it. Unlike Gunbuster, Diebusters U.S. DVD release didn't have gimped audio.

Hopefully my willpower will be able to hold out on it.

I forgot about that! I preordered it like half a year ago.

I used to have a cool Gunbuster T-shirt. It was much nicer than the boring ones they released a couple years ago. I wonder where that thing is now.

I won't let myself forget, can't afford to have a surprise charge that big :) One thing to note as well, epsodes 1-5 will be 1080i, while 6 will be 1080p. Likely, they're using the 1080p version of ep6 from the movie bluray release.

• 2 weeks later...

Macross Plus, Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, and Galaxy Express 999 are the only instances I can think of where the movie version(s) fully exceeded the TV/O/VA counterpart. DYRL did a lot right, but still needs the TV series to fully appreciate it. Escaflowne's movie was an interesting and good take too.

What's really funny is how much better Yamato 2 was than Arrividerci.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On CDJapan website, the preorder for the Gunbuster blu-set has a whole new plot!! Did I missed something here? :-P btw, which plot did it get switched to?

"Directed by

Hideaki Anno ("Evangelion") and character designed by Haruhiko Mikimoto ("Macross"), Gunbuster is one of the most popular OVA SF series and the first success of Gainax!

Plot: It depicts how a boy challenges the overwhelming consensus of the country while a girl stands by him during a period of 11 days. In the very near future, the main character named Akira Takizawa, who has no memory for unexplained reasons, is forced to "lead the country to the right direction" with a cellphone that is charged with 8.2 billion yen in digital cash. A mysterious organizations has ordered him to this task along with 11 other members, with an assurance that they will be executed if they fail to accomplish it. Furthermore, only one of the chosen 12 members is to survive...

Complete box includes the complete six episodes. Contains a 100-page booklet featuring setting guides, image board, and more. Also contains a special disc with untrimmed original version of the sixth episode, the rough telecine transfer version of the fifth episode that was made for the episode's dialogue recording, footage from the video magazine Denei Teikoku, footage from the VHD magazine "Anime Vision," a collection of production materials (displayed as still frames), and the video footage from the earlier Gunbuster Perfect release's bonus extras disc such as video comments from the staff and cast..

"

I'd heard of it, and even bumped into it at Kinokuniya, but still have no clue what the deal with it is. Most I know is that it's a loose sequel. Moreso than even Diebuster.

For that matter, anyone know how the new manga is? I've been tempted to pick it up.

Does the blu-ray really come out on Friday? Makes downloading that HDTV rip (which looks quite glorious) to tide me over seem like a waste of time.... ^_^

Does the blu-ray really come out on Friday? Makes downloading that HDTV rip (which looks quite glorious) to tide me over seem like a waste of time.... ^_^

I got an email from CDjapan that they shipped my bluray set yesterday, so I should get it by Friday of this week :-)

Got my set, and it's pretty awesome. As someone on fandom.com posted, it's literally all the extra's from the R2 DVD set a few years ago + remastered picture & new science lessons (no subs ::sob:::), but awesome none the less. And because I know there are people like me who want to know, I went and checked the chariot's of fire-ish song in episode one. Interestingly enough, the original audio (2.0) has the song exactly where it should be. However, the remastered audio has the Gunbuste rlaunch replacement that we got with our DVD's a few years ago. Now I don't feel so bad for getting slighted, since Gainax has now done the same with the Japanese market, be it only with the remastered soundtrack.

Also of note, episode 6 is still windowboxed with the remaster, meaning that it's matted widescreen within a 4:3 window. The reason for this is apparently that the masters for the end credits got lost or somethin', but it basically means the movie bluray is the only version of ep 6 that's anamorphic (which is cool, since I own that!). The upside, the un-matted original printi s included in the extra's on the LE's bonus disc.

Yeah, the HDTV rip I checked out has an unrestored credit sequence for episode six.It looks like this: post-1202-0-07679500-1330525280_thumb.jpg

Not sure why the whole thing is so distorted either. It's basically cropped on the sides then re-stretched to 4:3. The rest of the episode was anamorphic. Not sure if that was due to the broadcast, or if whomever ripped it did so themselves.Though it is higher res than the included ending.

Checked my R0 just now, and noticed that the ending is also unrestored on that, so this has apparently been a long standing issue. A shame.

Excuse the phone shot, but for the heck of it, here's what the movie looks like: post-1202-0-71784600-1330527734_thumb.jpg

Looks like the background was redone (a few differences give it away). Not sure on Gunbuster though. It looks a lot like the original. Given that, I applaud their adherence to the original art, even if it looks so bad. I also don't see why they couldn't have windowed the 4:3 like the majority of the Gunbuster movie BD but oh well..

Interesting to hear that Honneamise's meddled track found its way onto the disc. Is it exactly the same as the R1? New Sound FX like the movie? Glad to hear the original audio is still there.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Got my set, and it's pretty awesome. As someone on fandom.com posted, it's literally all the extra's from the R2 DVD set a few years ago + remastered picture & new science lessons (no subs ::sob:: :), but awesome none the less. And because I know there are people like me who want to know, I went and checked the chariot's of fire-ish song in episode one. Interestingly enough, the original audio (2.0) has the song exactly where it should be. However, the remastered audio has the Gunbuste rlaunch replacement that we got with our DVD's a few years ago. Now I don't feel so bad for getting slighted, since Gainax has now done the same with the Japanese market, be it only with the remastered soundtrack.

Also of note, episode 6 is still windowboxed with the remaster, meaning that it's matted widescreen within a 4:3 window. The reason for this is apparently that the masters for the end credits got lost or somethin', but it basically means the movie bluray is the only version of ep 6 that's anamorphic (which is cool, since I own that!). The upside, the un-matted original printi s included in the extra's on the LE's bonus disc.

Niiiice! Am hoping to pick this up myself next payday. Saw the Bluray Box 2nd hand for 9000yen last weekend. Very tempting :-)

Between this, the Macross box, the Yamato season 1 box, the yamato 2199 blurays and the Escaflowne box, my anime spending budget for the next 3 years or so is accounted for ^^;