Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

I think the yf-19 is awful. I can't stand the gullet. and you have to pose it just right on flight pose stands so it doesn't fall apart. I bought it as a place holder and I definitely need a renewal. The YF-19 is what really got me into macross.

I admit, I'm pretty harsh on the YF-19 design though. Between the aesthetics and bad design choices, I've been ready for a remake since I got it. :p It's not that it's bad toy, it's just that I knew it could be much better, and Yamato proved it with the VF-19. Now I'm anxious for them to revisit it, and bring it up to par.

Graham said to have patience, so I'm pretty sure Yamato is planning to revisit the YF-19. ;)

-Kyp

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that likes the old /160 19. Sure it isn't perfect, but I threw the FPs on it the other day in Battroid mode and it just looks awesome. Inaccurate perhaps, but awesome.

That being said, I'd at least consider a new one if/when they release it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that likes the old /160 19. Sure it isn't perfect, but I threw the FPs on it the other day in Battroid mode and it just looks awesome. Inaccurate perhaps, but awesome.

Your not the only one, it looks great in battroid mode (the sculpt and proportion wise).

Remember how long we had to wait for those? It was suppose to be a 1/72 v.2 and it took forever!

Remember how long we had to wait for those? It was suppose to be a 1/72 v.2 and it took forever!

Oh I remember. I also recall discussions about the gullet, the crooked gunpod of the original, concerns that it wasn't 1/48 like the mighty VF-1's we had at the time. But the wait was worth it, especially at the time, that original 1/72 was really really awful looking. Lots of easily chipped diecast, floppy, decently ugly in every mode (especially fighter), man that thing was a mess. Most of us were just happy to have something that was an improvement.

It gets a lot of flak it seems, but I still love mine, if only for Battroid mode. I remember buying it down at Frank and Sons (probably for too much) and even my non-collector/non-Macross fan friends thought it was cool.

If/When they do another YF-19, I'll probably keep it in fighter. If it looks really good maybe I'll be tempted to by multiples of it even. The Macross bug has bitten me reallllyyyy hard, so I'm definitely in the right state of mind to buy multiples.

Count me as another guy who loves his current YF-19s. I have the standard one and the double nuts. This is not to say that I wouldn't buy the hell out of a revised YF-19

Is the YF-19 2010 version a revised version that's improved and as good as the VF-25's?

Any comments/feedback on this as I'm thinking of getting one...

If you are referring to the two limited releases of the "double nuts" white with blue and the "Bird of Prey", white with orange. I have both and they are a major step forward from the first release of the YF-19, BUT the more recent release of the VF-19 is light years ahead of any YF-19 release. If you were only going to get one YF-19, I would wait for the V2 that has been hinted at for a while now.

It might be a while but it will be worth it!

If you need a YF-19 now, the two I listed above are a match to the VF-25's.

Hope that helps.

Actually, to an extent, I would maybe say they're comparable to the renewals, if only in terms of similar generational gap. The YF-19 came from the same generation as the 1/48th VF-1, and the VF-0, and in terms of materials, molding, etc, those are all very similar. They were some of the first designs Yamato released after moving to CAD designs, and followed up the original v.1 1/60 VF-1.

If you consider the original VF-25 as on a similar level to the v.1 1/60 VF-1, then you could probably say the progress between the original and the renewal is roughly similar to the jump between the v.1 VF-1 and the 1/48.

Would I say that the renewal VF-25 is better than the YF-19 though? Yes and no. That's tricky, because you're comparing two companies, both who have their own way of doing things, and their own particular faults.

Bottom line: Yep, the renewal VF-25 looks awesome, but transforming it isn't fun for me. In comparison, the YF-19 is still more fun to transform and pose than the VF-25, because it's sturdy, and I don't worry at every turn about scraping the paint off, or stressing some joint, or anything like that. I can take apart my YF-19, tweak it at will, and put it back together with ease.

The YF-19 isn't as pretty as the VF-25 (or the new VF-19s), but where the VF-25 feels like a display piece, the YF-19 still feels like a better toy.

And yeesh I get chatty about this stuff. :p I'm actually surprised to find myself defending the YF-19 over the renewal 25, but Bandai seems to value form over function in their approach. When you're talking about toys of transforming fighter planes, that's not always a good thing.

It's sad that Bandai still keeps using weak paint for their Macross stuff. Even my Hi-Metal 19S had a considerable amount of black paint chipped off on the black area of the nose while completing the chest area on Battroid transformation. And the chin also does damage since there's barely any posability on the neck.

I believe it is, I really like the shade too.

Another plus will be not having to worry about getting this on pre-order before they disappear in 1 minute!

Chris