Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

Well I guess regarding this whole removable fins issue (I must add that I don't like them too), I'm stubbornly unreceptive to this idea :lol:

It's part of the design to begin with, so If Yamato went with the removable option they should provide a piece to cover the holes. I feel like it's going the same route as: we don't like fins on the legs, make them removable, we don't like too many head lasers, make them removable and so on... It doesn't seem right.

Well maybe cause I'm a cannon/lineart nazi :lol:

More power to us if they're finnally removable but as I said it doesn't feel right.

Good post Ignacio, a very valid argument. While I too am no fan of the fins, I can definitely see were you are coming from and do agree. Was just hoping is all ^_^

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Well I guess regarding this whole removable fins issue (I must add that I don't like them too), I'm stubbornly unreceptive to this idea :lol:

It's part of the design to begin with, so If Yamato went with the removable option they should provide a piece to cover the holes. I feel like it's going the same route as: we don't like fins on the legs, make them removable, we don't like too many head lasers, make them removable and so on... It doesn't seem right.

Well maybe cause I'm a cannon/lineart nazi :lol:

More power to us if they're finnally removable but as I said it doesn't feel right.

I was hoping having them removable would also mean there would potentially be a spot to attach fast packs instead.

Edited by Mommar

I was hoping having them removable would also mean there would potentially be a spot to attach fast packs instead.

That's a great point!! Can't remember now if the P is shown in the lineart as being fastpack capable (guess it should be).

That's a great point!! Can't remember now if the P is shown in the lineart as being fastpack capable (guess it should be).

Yamato has already taken the stance that the VF-19's with the missiles in the legs won't have fast packs because the two gimmicks interfere with each other so the Blazers are guaranteed to not have them as well. It's probably way beyond wishful thinking on my part they'll even attempt them for something like the P.

Graham, I want to know if there will be any improvements in the new vf-17P that is comming out, is there any news on this?

Ankles!!!!!!

I think i'm getting a little obsessive here. But why not. Looked at what happened to Achilles!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh really? Sweet. The kai doesnt interest me in the slightest so I never really looked. They should re-release the yf-19 w/o the "gullet"

We've had a very long discussion on that topic. We all agree however the build of the later VF-19 models is such that Yamato would have to pretty much completely create new molds for a YF-19 variant so it's not as easy/cheap as just making a new YF-19.

Heard from Yamato that for the VF-19S, the tab inside the gerwalk mode hip joint that a few people managed to break will be strengthened.

Also, steps will be taken to make the ankle ball joint more resistant to loosening. Although I have to say that I haven't encountered this problem on both my Fire Valks. In fact they have both been completely problem-free.

Graham

Heard from Yamato that for the VF-19S, the tab inside the gerwalk mode hip joint that a few people managed to break will be strengthened.

Also, steps will be taken to make the ankle ball joint more resistant to loosening. Although I have to say that I haven't encountered this problem on both my Fire Valks. In fact they have both been completely problem-free.

Graham

Mine is problem free as well but those are very good news anyway.

Graham

it's still good to know they're taking it so seriously even if the problem isn't wide-spread. That will make me more confident in my three purchases (S/F/P.)

This might be one case where "problem free" is a subjective term, due to people's expectations.

My ankles aren't loose, but I had to tighten them after attempting to pose the feet. Compared to every other ankle joint Yamato has put on valk in the past ten years or so, the range of forward to back rotation of the ankle is extremely limited. People expecting to be able to point the toe up or down are going to be disappointed, and may see this as a problem.

The problem isn't that the feet are bad, but that the design is so different from everything they've produced in the past. People are used to ankles that move up and down a lot, with just enough side-to-side rotation to allow a spread-legged stance. These new ball-jointed ones are entirely the opposite, offering tons of side to side flexibility, but almost no range of motion front to back.

The bottom line is, the restricted range of motion that people are seeing isn't a mistake, it was designed that way on purpose. Whether people see that as a problem is going to depend on how important flexible feet are to them.

Frankly though, I do have to say.. it's a ball joint. It's round. Why isn't the range of motion around it symmetrical? Unless all the sideways motion coming from the joint farther up inside the ankle. In any case though, I do personally think the ankle needs a redesign. That side-to-side joint up inside the leg could potentially be rotated 90 degrees so it gives the feet some up/down rotation. I mean, they're supposed to be thrust vectoring nozzles after all, and the VF-19 is the first Yamato valk I think I've ever seen where it wasn't possible to vector the feet up or down in fighter mode. That's partly due to the ankle cuff restricting them, but pulling the feet out should at least let you move them slightly.

On the other hand, that particular design should be perfect for the VF-17, considering it's feet are mounted sideways in fighter mode. It still won't help posability in battroid though.

It is good to hear they're looking at the ankles some, and strengthening that thigh piece. Either way though, I love this design so much, no amount of ankle weirdness is going to dampen my enthusiasm for the S/F/P. I can't wait to get those. The only question remaining is how many I'll actually buy. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Nice to see that they will improve on the ankles. I myself had problems posing my kai on Gerwalk because the left ankle was totally loosened after trying to move it forward/backward. Good thing that the 19's Gerwalk isn't really what I find display-worthy and I don't like doing extreme Battroid poses so I don't bother much with those ankles.

The thighs could have been not an issue, but I guess we got language barrier and couldn't realize at first the the thigh needs both downward and upward force to separate it from the wing root.

Not really sure if I would go for the S or P first before the F. Heck I don't even know where to shoehorn the 17S in between. XD

This might be one case where "problem free" is a subjective term, due to people's expectations.

My ankles aren't loose, but I had to tighten them after attempting to pose the feet. Compared to every other ankle joint Yamato has put on valk in the past ten years or so, the range of forward to back rotation of the ankle is extremely limited. People expecting to be able to point the toe up or down are going to be disappointed, and may see this as a problem.

The problem isn't that the feet are bad, but that the design is so different from everything they've produced in the past. People are used to ankles that move up and down a lot, with just enough side-to-side rotation to allow a spread-legged stance. These new ball-jointed ones are entirely the opposite, offering tons of side to side flexibility, but almost no range of motion front to back.

The bottom line is, the restricted range of motion that people are seeing isn't a mistake, it was designed that way on purpose. Whether people see that as a problem is going to depend on how important flexible feet are to them.

Frankly though, I do have to say.. it's a ball joint. It's round. Why isn't the range of motion around it symmetrical? Unless all the sideways motion coming from the joint farther up inside the ankle. In any case though, I do personally think the ankle needs a redesign. That side-to-side joint up inside the leg could potentially be rotated 90 degrees so it gives the feet some up/down rotation. I mean, they're supposed to be thrust vectoring nozzles after all, and the VF-19 is the first Yamato valk I think I've ever seen where it wasn't possible to vector the feet up or down in fighter mode. That's partly due to the ankle cuff restricting them, but pulling the feet out should at least let you move them slightly.

On the other hand, that particular design should be perfect for the VF-17, considering it's feet are mounted sideways in fighter mode. It still won't help posability in battroid though.

It is good to hear they're looking at the ankles some, and strengthening that thigh piece. Either way though, I love this design so much, no amount of ankle weirdness is going to dampen my enthusiasm for the S/F/P. I can't wait to get those. The only question remaining is how many I'll actually buy. ^_^

Could you post some pics showing just how far the ankles tilt up and down versus the other Valks?

Ok, here's full comparisons of several Valks' feet, and their range of forward to back motion.

These are all taken with the ankles fully extended, feet closed, and rotated to the maximum position up and down.

VF-1

vf-1foot.jpg

This one kind of sets a high standard. The range of motion is really nice both up and down. Looks like about 150 degrees or so.

VF-11

vf-11foot.jpg

Good range, though this one is biased a little toward pointing the toe, useful for good gerwalk poses. About 90 degrees of rotation.

YF-19

yf-19foot.jpg

Again about 90 degrees total, balanced up and down.

Fire Valk

firevalkfoot.jpg

I wish I was kidding. This one just does not compare in any way, shape or form. Can't be more than a 15-20 degree rotation total, if that. Note, I did this very carefully, and this was as far as the feet moved before I started feeling like I was straining the joint.

On the other hand, to compare, you have this:

firevalkfoot2.jpg

I just can't understand this at all. It's why I think the foot mechanism needs to be rotated 90 degrees inside the leg. You have a full 90 degrees of rotation this direction. The legs don't even spread far enough to make use of that range.

I guess they just felt that Basara never made that many action poses, which considering how often you actually saw the Fire Valk walking, may be true. Moreso, he was usually flipping all over space, so he didn't really need the feet to bend.

Doesn't mean I think there's any excuse for such a lousy range of motion though. As beautiful as this valk is in every other way, the foot just is completely incapable of achieving the range of motion of any other Yamato valk.

I tried to remove the two screws on my Kai's ankle and placed them back again. For some reason, the backward movement of the ankle remains loose but the forward is now tighter (to a certain extent). I'm not really sure if it was affected by the fact that I screwed back the front screw before the back screw. I guess that will relieve any future problems should I plan to transform it into Gerwalk (but I doubt I will).

It kinda sucks that the ankles have such limitations but it's not a biggie for me since I like mine in fighter mode, and I'll probably be using a stand for Battroid (when I get the Sound Boosters).

Graham

must remain calm..........OH MY GOD!!!!!! IT"S SOOO TRUE, FINALY AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! sorry just had to get that out. :D

I haven't had any issues with mine as well, and I've taken it out quite a bit, and will with the sound booster set. However, I am very glad that Yamato is aware of some people having issues, and are already going to fix it. Nice.

Question about the colors of the 19F and S. Would the blue on them or at least the 19F be like the Max 22S or more like the YF-21. Just thought that the 19F would look great next to the Max 22S since they are both blue with white stripes.

Chris