Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

10 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I think I was the only one with the issue. I asked and no one else seemed to have that happen to them. I wasn't able to repair it. I didn't even attempt to glue it because of all the little bits it crumbled into would have been like trying to put together Humpty Dumpty. Like I said in another post, I just have very bad luck with these things.

Thanks for the reply MJ. Did you have it display fix in any form like superglue the whole thing?

Anyways, let's hope everyone's hip joints are still intact.

You know, I never really thought much about how to go about fixing that permanently, but drilling the piece out and doing a chunky-style bic pen mod seems like it could go a long way.

I'd think any number of readily available joints could work there though, if you ever felt motivated enough to do a full repair.

• 9 months later...

So I'm having to pack all of my stuff, including the Valks, and when transforming my old Yamato Fire Valk from Battroid to Fighter mode, a hinge on one of the shoulders broke; I tried for a while afterward to repair it, but I just can't seem to get the pin out so I can glue the hinge back together and run the pin through to reconnect the shoulder to the main body (thinking back now it would probably break again easily anyway).

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I remember the toy feeling pretty sturdy when transforming it a few times years ago, but maybe the hinge was actually on its last legs after a few transformations (or maybe I just really messed up this time).

Edited by vendetta

It's hard to see, but the right part of the hinge has broken off, and the left part is about to break too. There isn't enough room on either side of the shoulder to slide the pin out either, and it doesn't seem like you can easily disassemble the shoulder to make it possible. There's a screw that appears to hold the arm to the red swivel (if you could remove it you could possibly replace the broken hinge), but it's in a place that doesn't seem possible to reach even with a small screwdriver.

Hopefully it was just a matter of me being careless or my toy being defective, but it might be good to be particularly careful when manipulating the shoulders, just to be safe.

A small plus is that I'm still able to snap the shoulder on when in Fighter mode; unfortunately the way I prefer displaying it is in Battroid mode with the Sound Booster attachment though.

IMG_1686.JPG

Mine also broke in almost the exact same place. The only difference was that it was the part in the shoulder where you have the pin inserted in your pic. I know the pain of trying to take that shoulder apart and put it back together. I was never able to get it fixed as any fix I would do (Plasti-Weld, pla plate reinforcement, etc...) would keep breaking. It's in perma-fighter mode now.

Misery truly loves company: I'm sad that others have also had issues, but I somehow find comfort in knowing I'm not the only one with a broken Fire Valk.

I don't know why I continue to buy these things. I'm attracted to them largely because I find the transformations more interesting than Transformers, yet I have to have this dread that something could break every time I mess with one of them. 

23 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Has this only happened to the fire valk?  Has anyone with a F/S/P had this issue?

I only have VF-19P. I'll check mine tonight. Though I really can't say if it has issues since I already transformed it twice since I got it earlier this year.

21 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm glad that Arcadia re-designed the VF/YF-19 before they did their version.

With YF-19, yes we're glad that it was redesigned. However, some still suffered from the loose ankle joints after how many transformations.

Can't say the same thing with the last VF-19 Kai release.

That's disheartening to hear that there may be a potential problem with the VF-19 series, as they are my favorite Yamato toys and in my opinion the best VFs Yamato every produced.

Until Bandai came out with the VF-31, I used to consider the Yamato VF-19 series the pinnacle of VF toy design.

Hopefully Vendetta's cracked shoulder is just an unfortunate one-off incident.

How many shoulder breakages total have there been?  Two?  Are they only on the Yamato versions?  We have enough fans of the P/F and the Arcadia YF-19 that surely others have put them through their paces.  We haven't heard of any other breakages have we?

So, I have seen one of these types of breakages before, but it was the opposite piece that cracked.  I don't remember whose it was, but the plastic around the pin on the shoulder pauldron cracked, letting it pop loose.  It wasn't a full break though, and they were able to clip the shoulder back around the pin enough that it really wasn't noticeable.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more shoulders broken like this though.  Considering the way people had trouble lifting the shoulders from the legs, there is a lot of stress on that joint when you pop them loose, especially if you pull them loose by forcing the leg down.

Edited by Chronocidal

7 minutes ago, valhary said:

this one is mine as you can see the pin is the problem

pin.jpg

From that it looks like the problem is that the pin is rotating in the outer piece, when it ought to be rotating in the inner piece. The gnurls are there to prevent that sort of thing and to hold it into the outer piece better.

If I had to guess, probably caused by the fact the inner part of the hinge is 2 pieces, and if there's any sheer misalignment it'll cause the pin to bind and cause higher torque on the outer piece.

Given how few of these we've seen, I'm not sure it's actually a problem with those?  It's clearly not like the VF-1's shoulder issues, or everyone would have been screaming for replacement parts.

Also, that pin only goes through one piece on each end, so there's nothing to misalign.  I think the separation joint you're seeing is just a mold line.

If I'd seen more break like that?  Yes, I'd call it a bigger problem. But I've seen more VF-25s with broken die-cast hip bars than these, and we know that those are caused by faulty metal casting.  There's nothing to say that same kind of mold flaw can't happen with plastic.

This isn't to downplay the seriousness of the break, because yes, it sucks.  But I don't see any kind of trend in the breakage that should have everyone digging out their valks in a panic to inspect them.

Even if it is a wider problem though, I think we've got plenty of skilled modelers that can build a replacement for sale on Shapeways.  I think the bigger issue will be disassembling the valk to replace that part, because the VF-19s are snapped, screwed, and glued ten ways from Tuesday.

11 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Given how few of these we've seen, I'm not sure it's actually a problem with those?  It's clearly not like the VF-1's shoulder issues, or everyone would have been screaming for replacement parts.

Also, that pin only goes through one piece on each end, so there's nothing to misalign.  I think the separation joint you're seeing is just a mold line.

If I'd seen more break like that?  Yes, I'd call it a bigger problem. But I've seen more VF-25s with broken die-cast hip bars than these, and we know that those are caused by faulty metal casting.  There's nothing to say that same kind of mold flaw can't happen with plastic.

This isn't to downplay the seriousness of the break, because yes, it sucks.  But I don't see any kind of trend in the breakage that should have everyone digging out their valks in a panic to inspect them.

Even if it is a wider problem though, I think we've got plenty of skilled modelers that can build a replacement for sale on Shapeways.  I think the bigger issue will be disassembling the valk to replace that part, because the VF-19s are snapped, screwed, and glued ten ways from Tuesday.

You sure? That dark-grey bit sure looks like it's made of two halves.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Foblander said:

$150 for a excellent condition Yamato VF-19S Emerald Force. Decent price?

I think it is. Just so you know, there's a used one in Mandarake for Y25000. Anything that's under 180 is already a bargain. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

• 1 year later...