Moscato Cat's Eye 1:72 - Custom SAR

PetarB

1.jpg

I love the shape of this aircraft, it's like a sea-gull taking flight.

For a long time as well I've been looking for a subject that I could make a Search And Rescue aircraft.

As it has high visibility cockpits and a detector array on top, I though it would be a great model to customise this way.

And the Captain's resin kit is really just superb, I couldn't fault it... apart from the radar housing on top which I didn't like.

So I built another one out of styrene, using a circle cutter, drill and lathe.

I had an accident with glue on one edge, and there was no way of fixing it without building again, so that fault's mine.

I also added a couple of (ahem!) StudioStarforge pilots.

Originally I had planned to sculpt some more just for this kit, but they fitted in fine, so there was no need for it.

I also put in some wingtip lights, and turned a new refuelling pod on my lathe. I highly recommend this kit, it was easy to put together.

I could build another one, one day, perhaps with a slightly more 'canon' scheme! One of the pics below is an 'odd one out'. Can you guess which?

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The one without the dish?

Give that man a cookie!

Petar, you'd managed to finally found the best place to place the Minmay decal.

Yes, for the longest time I had that beautiful decal and thinking 'I need a large flat area to stick that on' and I couldn't think of anything on a 1/72 scale subject. It was like a bolt of lighting when the idea came, the perfect location!

Thanks Jon, it was actually easy to put together thanks to your great engineering and interpretation. Pity I didn't do the undercarriage, that was some amazing work you did there, but I like my birds 'in-flight' mostly. I look forward to more things with wings from you...

Phantastic work on a phantastic model. Good job with the refreshing paint scheme, too, it really brings the plane to life. Personally, I could live without the Minmay decal, but I know the opportunity was just too tempting.

Did you make the stand yourself?

Mr Cheng, I haven't seen any of your work for some time... :p Please come and blow us all out of the water again soon.

Roman, the dish decal is about as far 'Itasha' as I go. You won't find me picking up some of the crazier Macross decals we've seen recently... As for the stand, I make all my stands out of acrylic rod, and few years ago did a bulk order on the acrylic slabs cut to size. I've just run out actually!

Thanks all for your kinds words.