Spriggan

areaseven

spriggancover.jpg

Spriggan ( スプリガン )

Toho Films/Bandai Visual, 1998

ADV Films, 2001

Directed by Hirotsuge Kawasaki.

Rated R for graphic violence and strong language.

Deep in the Ararat Mountains of Turkey, a secret organization known as ARCAM has found what is believed to be Noah's Ark. However, the U.S. Machine Corps., a rogue organization of the Pentagon, wants to take over the Ark as a means of global supremacy. Only a special ARCAM operative known as a Spriggan stands in their way.

Japanese Spriggan Yu Ominae teams up with French Spriggan Jean-Jacques Mondo to combat members of the U.S. Machine Corps. led by Col. MacDougall - a genetically-enhanced boy with deadly psionic powers. But can they stop McDougall before he uses the Ark for his own agenda?

Based on the manga by Hiroshi Takashige and Ryoji Minagawa (released in the US by Viz Comics as Striker), Spriggan marks the directorial debut of animator Hirotsuge Kawasaki (Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Ghost in the Shell).

Story: C

Spriggan received a lot of flak from critics due to its confusing plot and lack of character development. Even fans of the manga hate it, as it hardly resembles the original story. Yeah, it's as mindless as a Die Hard wanna-be Hollywood action flick, but you get a lot of kicks from the action and dialogue like this:

MacDougall: "How dare you soil this holy ground with your filthy boots!"

Yu: "Yeah? Well I'm gonna use these boots to kick your ass!"

Animation: A+

This is pure eye-candy overdose. Spriggan uses digital 2D & 3D animation and quick-reflex camera angles that look like it was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by John Woo. Character designs by Hisashi Eguchi (Perfect Blue). Mecha designs by Kimitoshi Yamane (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne) and Katsuhiro Otomo (AKIRA, Metropolis). Animation by Studio 4‹C (The Animatrix)

Soundtrack: B-

Original soundtrack composed by Kuniaki Haishima (Gasaraki, Macross Zero). I wish I could enjoy the soundtrack, but the numerous Hollywood-style explosions made it tone-deaf. Remember how loud Armageddon was in theatres? You get that same loudness in your home system with this movie.

BTW, what language was the ending theme in?

Sub vs. Dub

At this time, I have no information on the Japanese voice cast as it's not listed on this DVD.

As for ADV's dubbing, it's actually tolerable despite inaccuracies to the script. The English cast includes Chris Patton (Ayato in RahXephon, Yushiro in Gasaraki) as Yu, Kevin Corn as McDougall, Ted Pfister (Ernst Von Barbem in RahXephon, Daizaburo Gowa in Gasaraki) as Dr. Miesel, Andy McAvin (Kazukiyo Gowa in Gasaraki, Coach Kido in Princess Nine) as Jean-Jacques, Kelly Manison (Naga in Slayers: The Motion Picture, Linna in Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040) as Margaret, Mike Kleinhenz as Fattman, Spike Spencer (Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Yugo in Battle Angel) as Little Boy, and John Paul Shephard (Heihachi in Tekken: The Motion Picture, Tatsumi in Samurai X) as Yamamoto.

DVD Extras: A-

You get a director's commentary and video portfolios of character designs, vehicle & equipment designs and backgrounds. All in an excellent DVD presentation.

The Bottom Line

If you just want an action flick and don't care about plot, go watch Spriggan. Otherwise, rent something else.

Links

ADV Films' Official Spriggan Site

Reference

Anime News Network

The Internet Movie Database

Edited by areaseven

I have the HK boot of this movie (I got it a year or so ago). Although I'v never seen the manga I thought it was pretty good. And the story didn't confuse me that much, and thats saying alot :o . Just ask abombz. :unsure:

I loved the animation and the story.

I got my copy waaay before it even got licenced. Sound's ok the sub's were garbage, I couldn't understand what was going on right at the end of the story. Some of the explosions were kinda screwy. My brother got pissed cuz it really didn't follow the manga at all.

The irritatingly suave French buddy just wouldn't DIE. He'd pop up just when Yu needs a hand even though he's left for dead in an earlier battle. MacDougal the terror kid escaped from the set of AKIRA, apparently. The moment it was revealed, everyone KNEW the ship/mountain would go kablooey in the end. Right? And of course Yu and French buddy would somehow make it out alive. The unabashed fist pumping by the surviving troopers (Yeah! They made it! They made it!!) is so mawkishly feel-good I left the theatre in disgust. I'd put on par with Mission to Mars as a really big waste of time.

I have the HK boot of this movie (I got it a year or so ago).

How's the audio on yours? My friend bought his copy one year before ADV released theirs and the audio was piss-poor.

It's been awhile since I'v seen it but from what I remember the sound was good as was the subs.

The irritatingly suave French buddy just wouldn't DIE. He'd pop up just when Yu needs a hand even though he's left for dead in an earlier battle.

He was one of the victims of the hack job of converting the manga into the movie. The manga version is a vastly better.

And we actually see him going into "Spriggan" mode when he sees his own blood.