I have just done a binge listen of Love Live (both generations) and Idolmaster (Cinderella) music for my own research purposes.

The obvious difference from Walkure is a far narrower emotional range. Walkure can be angsty. Waklure can be mad-power-tripping. These girls can only be cute and/or inspiring and/or happy and/or hopeful, and perhaps slightly sad, despite having many more songs than Walkure does, and despite some of the creator names involved being the same (Takuya Watanabe, whose work I liked in "Absolute 5" and "Uragiranai", also wrote "Happy Party Train" for Aquors).

This, of course, might be because of the "cute girls doing cute things" trope, heavily used by the LL and Idolm@s franchises and pointedly defied from the very beginning by the Macross franchise.

So I wonder - are there any Japanese idol groups that would actually have an emotional range comparable to (or greater than) Walkure? I really don't know much outside those that got animated (the latter includes AKB48 thanks to Kawamori but I'm not through too much of their work yet but they do seem rather narrow emotionally from what I saw so far). What, if anything, *should* I be looking at?

Japan only, not Korea.

Edited by Saruta

My problem with Greta van fleet is that the singer in a lot of the live performances I’ve seen sounds kinda like Adam Sandler’s crazy voice. I don’t mind their album sounds though and they’re getting a a lot of hype. Between them and the band Ghost, classic rock styles are really making a comeback and I’m liking the trend. If I’m not mistaken both bands are up for multiple Grammies in the rock category this year.

Floyd really does work better for relaxing after a long day rather than moving product. When I worked a lot of wear house jobs I would have fun with industrial like Minstry or KMFDM due to the rhythms and mechanical sounds fitting in with the reality of the job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A medieval, sword-wielding FROG?

Yes!  And his theme music fits him perfectly:

And that moment you realized 'ish just got real in BOTW:

Edited by Mog

• 2 weeks later...