In all seriousness though, that is what I mentioned in my post up above supporting Gui. You say (no offense to you btw :) ) that all of this reasoning is bull because we are basing it on a human evolutionary basis on an Earth specific condition. BUT, thats all we HAVE to base ANYTHING on regarding extraterrestrials. The "What if" argument may seem more logical considering the vast amount of information that we don't know, but truth be told, in pure statistical as well as cogent reasoning, the human based argumentation has a MUCH higher probability of actually being correct.

But our statistical sampling is so small as to be completely meaningless, is the problem. It is, to be specific, ONE datum.

A single datum is not adequate to base ANY theory on, nor to establish any form of statistical trend.

It's not a statistical argument, or a scientific one. It's anthropocentrism masquerading as a proven theory.

The day you show us proof of ANY non humanoid living on ANY planet outside of earth, and succeeding on an evolutionary stance, you sir, will have put down every argument placed by both me and Gui, no questions asked whatsoever. But until that day comes, argumentation based on humans and what we know is the most probable and logical, whether it SEEMS logical or not. We may not know 99.99% of information regarding the universe, but basing our theories on the 0.01% that we do know will still be much better logically than placing theories on the 99.99% we don't know.

You're missing a few digits there. A few billion of them, at least.

Application of logic trumps a complete absence of evidence for anthropocentrism.

Certain subcases, however, seem reasonable.

Two eyes, for example.

Multiple eyes provides a comparison point for calculating depth. Or seeing your entire surroundings at once, if you're not a hunter.

Two is the minimum required for both purposes. More demands more brain space spent on image processing, which is an exceptionally difficult task.

Consequently, we can make a reasonable argument that alien life is likely, if it has eyes, to have two of them. And they will be in close proximity to the brain to minimize the length of the optic nerve, which must carry very large amounts of data very rapidly.

A logical case can be laid out.

The overall human form, however, is not a reasonable argument. We KNOW it's not the only form capable of manipulation of the environment. Octopi and cuttlefish being the most obviously "alien" contenders, as well as the closest runner-up.

Those damned cephalopod tentacle monsters do more with their environment than monkeys and gorillas, which kind of puts a hole in the whole "primates are best" theory right off.

You will stop.

A little harsh there man :(

And all I was trying to do was stop people from bullying Gui. But seriously though, I'm sorry, and will stop. There are other places to apply my knowledge. Sorry as well to others that may have been sidetracked or offended by my scientific/statsitical theory...

But our statistical sampling is so small as to be completely meaningless, is the problem. It is, to be specific, ONE datum.

A single datum is not adequate to base ANY theory on, nor to establish any form of statistical trend.

It's not a statistical argument, or a scientific one. It's anthropocentrism masquerading as a proven theory.

You're missing a few digits there. A few billion of them, at least.

Application of logic trumps a complete absence of evidence for anthropocentrism.

Certain subcases, however, seem reasonable.

Two eyes, for example.

Multiple eyes provides a comparison point for calculating depth. Or seeing your entire surroundings at once, if you're not a hunter.

Two is the minimum required for both purposes. More demands more brain space spent on image processing, which is an exceptionally difficult task.

Consequently, we can make a reasonable argument that alien life is likely, if it has eyes, to have two of them. And they will be in close proximity to the brain to minimize the length of the optic nerve, which must carry very large amounts of data very rapidly.

A logical case can be laid out.

The overall human form, however, is not a reasonable argument. We KNOW it's not the only form capable of manipulation of the environment. Octopi and cuttlefish being the most obviously "alien" contenders, as well as the closest runner-up.

Those damned cephalopod tentacle monsters do more with their environment than monkeys and gorillas, which kind of puts a hole in the whole "primates are best" theory right off.

Alright, since you guys wanna carry on the issue...

• 6 months later...

now we all know the three movies made toooo much money for there not to be another one. and with micheal bay big robots = big explosions

Film director Michael Bay together with Paramount Pictures has confirmed this week that a fourth installment of the popular Transformers movie franchise is coming.

Filming is expected to start later this year for a release on June 29, 2014 and so far it appears that none of the original human cast members are set to return.

While the new movie is expected to be a sequel to last year’s Transformers 3 - Dark of the Moon, the fourth highest global grossing film of all time with $1.124 billion of worldwide box office success, it will be a more serious film, with less of the jokes and hopefully more action.

We don’t have any more solid details but according to the guys at Autoblog a script is yet to be written so anything could change before the movie's release. You can bet Optimus Prime and Bumblebee will be back, but what’s not clear is whether General Motors will sign on again as its contract with the Transformers franchise was for only three movies.

Less toilet humor in TF4 would be great--better still, none. I'd expect there's still be far more humans than bots, but at least give us better quality actors; that Ken Jeong guy and Simmons [to a lesser degree] overacted to the point of looking like morons.

For me, it's the idiotic humans and crass humor in all three movies that NEARLY spoiled it for me. Now don't get me wrong; I like South Park and The Simpsons as much as the next guy, just not in my TF movies. Well, at least there weren't any robo-pee or robo-farts in DOTM; here's hoping TF4 omits them, too.

It's garbage, you know what they say "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity".

The first was garbage, I heard the second was worse so I did not see it, then I heard the third was as good as the first so I passed on that too... Rifftraxing them though, that might be worth a look

It's garbage, you know what they say "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity".

Well Paramount isn't expecting a different result. All three movies made obscene amounts of money. They're expecting the exact same result.

Transformers fans are the crazy ones, if they expect anything to improve. Money talks, and it tells the studio that Mr. Bay's formula works just fine. No amount of fanboy hoping/ranting/begging will change that.

Not only does Transformers make stupid amounts of dollars at the movies, it's also the after sales of DVD's, toys, games, and the kid's shows that makes them the big cash...

Just proves as the majority of the population MOD EDIT - NO POLITICS ON MW!, they still watch Transformers and believe in it. :p

Edited by Mechamaniac

"Film director Michael Bay together with Paramount Pictures has confirmed ..."

Ugh, is Bay involved again? I can't believe I thought he was a good match for the franchise at one point.

Yeah, it's definitely time for a change. Maybe keep him as a consultant but keep him out of directing.

I'm not actually surprised at all. As others have said, why would Paramount forego making more of the same movies that brought home the cash cows many times before? The Bay formula is tried and true, and seems to have capitulated young people/old people's hearts all over the globe.

I don't care though, since I actually liked the movies, but I do hope that GM doesn't renew the contract so better companies like Volkswagon and affiliated brands can take up the contract.

I'm not actually surprised at all. As others have said, why would Paramount forego making more of the same movies that brought home the cash cows many times before? The Bay formula is tried and true, and seems to have capitulated young people/old people's hearts all over the globe.

That's true. Objectively speaking, he's got something for everyone. Badass cutting edge CGI robots and hot chicks for the general audience, toilet humor for the teens, . In an interview, he said something about coming to an epiphany when he noticed the audience walking out of the theater befuddled after watching Blade Runner, but happy and enthusiastic after Star Wars...or something to that effect

I'm not actually surprised at all. As others have said, why would Paramount forego making more of the same movies that brought home the cash cows many times before?

Because there's an ever-increasing danger of Optimus Prime "accidentally" running over Micheal Bay. :p

I don't care though, since I actually liked the movies, but I do hope that GM doesn't renew the contract so better companies like Volkswagon and affiliated brands can take up the contract.

My understanding is VW is very much against having anything to do with Transformers. They don't want to be connected in any way to anything violent or war-like, and Transformers is a violent franchise ABOUT war. The fact that it's a robot space war is irrelevant, apparently. Edited by JB0

My understanding is VF is very much against having anything to do with Transformers. They don't want to be connected in any way to anything violent or war-like, and Transformers is a violent franchise ABOUT war. The fact that it's a robot space war is irrelevant, apparently.

I feel like making a snarky comment about them being three quarters of a century too late, but it’s late and I'm just too tired for sarcasm right now.

I feel like making a snarky comment about them being three quarters of a century too late, but it’s late and I'm just too tired for sarcasm right now.

Well, they never actually LICENSED Bumblebee. He just HAPPENED.

Ah, for the days of yore, when everything wasn't trademarked and everyone was just a tad less lawsuit-happy.

Well, they never actually LICENSED Bumblebee. He just HAPPENED.

Ah, for the days of yore, when everything wasn't trademarked and everyone was just a tad less lawsuit-happy.

I was going for a WWII comentary, but whatever.

Because there's an ever-increasing danger of Optimus Prime "accidentally" running over Micheal Bay. :p

My understanding is VW is very much against having anything to do with Transformers. They don't want to be connected in any way to anything violent or war-like, and Transformers is a violent franchise ABOUT war. The fact that it's a robot space war is irrelevant, apparently.

Then how did that yellow beetle end up in the first movie as the insulting to original fans joke that camaro bumblebee smacks around?

Then how did that yellow beetle end up in the first movie as the insulting to original fans joke that camaro bumblebee smacks around?

Fair usage, I guess--as long as the Beetle doesn't transform or isn't used in any significant way by the characters in the movie.

I was going for a WWII comentary, but whatever.

Oh, I misread that TOTALLY. I thought it said A quarter of a century, lining up more or less with the original toy/media franchise. BIT of a difference between 25 years and 75 years.

Yeah, I gather WW2 ie exactly WHY they don't want to be associated with war and violence. Especially since they were actually MAKING military hardware in WW2, and it goes without saying which side they were making it FOR.

I considered making a similarly snarky comment too, so I dunno WHY I misread it so badly.

because he still looks like a guy with a baseball cap wearing a box.

I LIKE that movie Prime doesn't look like an elaborate cosplay costume.

The bayformers do nothing for Cosplayers the world over. At least with G1 Optimus all a guy needs to do is go down to Walmart buy some Red, Sliver and Blue rattlecans and get a staff member to get him some boxes from the dumpster. Go home paint and the boxes and don a blue baseball cap.... Done

That said I do like the Bayverse deigins.

As one of the G1 generation (I'm from 77) I can say that I'm a big fan of the first 2007 movie.

When the first sketches start leaking out back in 2006, I had a *really* hard time with the movie designs. Optimus with flames? With a mouth? Not a flatbed? Blasphemy!

But I gotta tell you,

, it had me like a little boy holding his first transformer all over again. Starscream transforming mid-air with a backflip and Blackout doing the landing transformation thing... It was just plain cool. And to the flame-mouth Optimus, once I heard Cullen's voice, it was it. That guy IS Optimus Prime and always will be, and I think they got the cartoon essence of it perfectly.

Ditto !! Although I am a little older than you.

Scale and proportions are things that don't exist in the TF universe including the Bay films. Case in point, In the films Starscream is the same height as Prime in Bot mode. If his original mass was similar to an F-22, then he should've towered over Prime. But he didn't. I'v also heard that the truck Sentinel prime is based on is also a 30 foot long truck. He too would tower over Prime if the scales were accurate.

I guess the movies, can get away with this because they did kinda explain it away with the Allspark. In the 1st film it orginally appears much larger than any of the Autobots. BB transformed it to rubix cube size with a touch. If the TF's are based on the same tech, then it stands to reason that they too are capable of defying the rules of physics and science as we know. Which would negate what I previously said.

That is why Soundwave should have been an ipod and not a really expensive Mercedes.

I'd Like to see an entirely Cybertron film of before they all left, no human actors needed except for voices, no need for expensive shoots in deserts or cities etc, no need for blue or green screen sets and photocopied robot heads on sticks for actors to act towards. just CGI expensive yes but they are fairly well Guaranteed at least $1BN from it plus toy and merchandise tie ins.

My monies in the hat saying they just go down the Oh those weren't the real Decepticons, they were just clones that didn't know they were clones, here come the real ones.

Eaither that or they will dispose of the body parts into space and Unicron just picks them up A la 1986 movie, only this time he eats earth, and Michael Bay.

Just for the record VW group need to get off their very high horse, War was what essentially created them, if it hadn't been for the Allies rebuilding the factory after the RAF bombed it into the stone-age, there would be no VW and nobody would know anything other than they were the dream of a past German Chancellor who wanted cars for the people.

Also VW supply trucks to several NATO forces both VW and Mann, so the No War thing is rather moot IMO.

For the record I am an AngloGerman VW fan boy so I can say this.

Edited by big F

I just watched Transformers 3 for the first time.

Wow!

What an awesome movie!

Alien Autobot robots who speak with thick accents of foreign stereotypes. I love how they did that in the Star Wars prequels!

Optimus Prime is stone cold killer - That's the role model kids need!

I wonder what Megan Fox character was doing during all of this?

Now they are making a 4th one I'm soooooooo thereeeee!!!