DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

Woohoo my VF-25S and SDF-1 both arrived!

The very first thing I did after opening it. :)

EDIT: Did a quick inspection of the unit. QC is only marginally worse than on my Alto.

-Yellow paint app is a tiny bit sloppier than Alto's red. Inconsistencies are also more noticeable with yellow on a grey background.

-Some paint already scratched off on the ankle cover and lower tailfins.

-Couple of spots where it's obvious where the yellow paint was touched up by hand.

-SMS emblem on the left side of the nose it a bit sloppy.

-Bits of the skull emblem on the back have flaked off at the corner where the curved surface meets the flat surface.

Overall I'm satisfied. Most of these issues I can fix with a paintbrush.

Time to panel line this baby and give it some acrylic "horseshoes." The paint rubs off pretty easily on the feet so I brush a few layers of acrylic clearcoat on the bottoms of the feet to prevent that.

post-5703-0-65967900-1326907400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

Woohoo my VF-25S and SDF-1 both arrived!

The very first thing I did after opening it. :)

EDIT: Did a quick inspection of the unit. QC is only marginally worse than on my Alto.

-Yellow paint app is a tiny bit sloppier than Alto's red. Inconsistencies are also more noticeable with yellow on a grey background.

-Some paint already scratched off on the ankle cover and lower tailfins.

-Couple of spots where it's obvious where the yellow paint was touched up by hand.

-SMS emblem on the left side of the nose it a bit sloppy.

-Bits of the skull emblem on the back have flaked off at the corner where the curved surface meets the flat surface.

Overall I'm satisfied. Most of these issues I can fix with a paintbrush.

Time to panel line this baby and give it some acrylic "horseshoes." The paint rubs off pretty easily on the feet so I brush a few layers of acrylic clearcoat on the bottoms of the feet to prevent that.

I sincerly hope that mine doesn't have those above issues, otherwise, I'm going to be really pissed off. But then again, if it does, then I know which one will be wearing the Super Pack for it that I bought. I plan on getting another Ozma next month so I can have one with the Super Parts and the other without.

-Kyp

I've just got mine in. It's night and day from the v.1. No QC problems that I can find. The paint app is perfect. This is the toy we deserve after spending all that money on the v.1s'. Couldn't be happier, now I just have to wait on the armor pack to come it to make this one complete.

So ozma has replacement antenae.

Are they necessary? Are they fragile?

It's typical for a Bandai product to include both flexible PVC antennas and solid plastic ones. The PVCs ones can bend without any issue but may be bent out of alignment out of the box. The ABS antenna will hold their shape but will break if you accidentally dropped the figure on its head.

The Renewal VF-25S looks kick ass, and I'm kicking myself in the ass for no preodering this Valk when I had the chance. Now one can't touch one for less than app. $220 plus shipping... Banday, please, please, please release more of these, bundled or otherwise so that those of us who procrastinated can get in on this action without having to pay inflated prices.

Edited by mechaninac

Just got mine today, and I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's sleek, and is really solid. I love the color of the gun as well. It has a non-toy look to it (finally) that goes well with the grey of the toy. I'm glad I ponied up the money for this item.

I sincerly hope that mine doesn't have those above issues, otherwise, I'm going to be really pissed off. But then again, if it does, then I know which one will be wearing the Super Pack for it that I bought. I plan on getting another Ozma next month so I can have one with the Super Parts and the other without.

-Kyp

I wish I knew of a magical place to get one a month from now ^_^

After the first transformation on mine - and looking at it out of the box - QC issues are;

• Slight paint chip on the right horn on the skull, even before transformation
  • Right foot is a tad loose and i need to have it slightly pinched to keep it from splaying open
  • Right inner-shoulder hinge (the one that makes the should go up, it has the inner pauldron that forms the plane's top side on it)
  • Gunpod barely stays stowed on forearm in gerwalk/battroid - yes i like my gunpods stowed mostly.

Picked up mine after work, and very nice overall, but I wish Bandai could get a handle on their paint shading issues. I have to give them credit for trying, because the paint scheme on Ozma's VF-25 is nothing simple, but I've got varying shades of the same color all over the place, as if it was touched up with different mixes.

Can't wait for the armor to finally get released, then this thing will be complete. :D

Oh, should say, my intake covers don't stay in at all. Won't be a problem once I get the armor, but it's annoying.

Nice review. Normally I can't stand long reviews, but your reviews are the only ones where I'll sit through 30 minutes for. The state of your v1 is hilarious. You are incredibly kind with your comments towards Bandai. I understand, but man, I would certainly be pissed about the money.

Got mine yesterday, mine has fewer QC issues than my Alto, I've got a small scratch on the Skull though, I'm thinking about either trying to match the paint, or use a small piece of the waterslide Skull decal from my 1/72 to cover it up, I haven't decided yet, either way, it's an easy fix. Unless my second Ozma turns out to be even better than this one, which I doubt, it will be the one to end up wearing the Super parts.

Speaking of the 1/72, I'll be taking comparison pics, but I think it's safe to say that I'm far happier with the 1/60 V2.

@Rabidweezil : LOL...there's no magical place to get one, I'm just going to be prepaired to pay $200+ for the second one. :p

*Edit* It appears the the Skull logo for the 1/72 is a much darker gray, where the 1/60 appears to be an off White or Insignia White, I'll have to try matching the paint, then.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

@Rabidweezil : LOL...there's no magical place to get one, I'm just going to be prepaired to pay $200+ for the second one. :p

Too bad $200+ is about $300 already, or even more if you include shipping!

I think I missed this one, since it is WAY too much for me to pay.

My hopes are in a bundle with an armored one from now on.

Edited by Vahouth

Received mine today. Overall I am happy with it. My alto had better paint aps than the ozma. I had to touch up the skull on the top. The sword blade ran over the top of the skull. Looks better now but still, I shouldn't have to touch up a $150 toy/collectable. Oh well, that's mass production for ya.

Mine arrived today also. What positives, can I say that hasn't already been said about this beauty!

Few minor issues:

1) My gunpod doesn't sit very securely in fighter mode. Like Veef pointed out in his review the bicep swivel is very tight and I'm wondering is that is causing the gunpod to not stay in place as well as my Alto in fighter mode.

2) My wing hinges are very loose, particularly the left side. So it tends to flop around a bit during transformation. Again, my alto didn't.

3) also like Veef pointed out in his review, the soft head lasers are a little floppy, so I decided to put the ridged ones on....they are even worse! They just flop around. I'll just have to use some clear nail polish to fix it up.

4) The panel behind the head pops off very easily on mine too.

Don't get me wrong I M very happy with my copy, but I find that my Alto version was better as it has NO issues whatsoever.

Chris

Actually, I was kind of glad that the panel behind the head pops off easy. It made it easier for me to get the head transformed, and snaps right back on easily, and stays put if I don't pull on it.

When I first transformed mine, I was worried I was experiencing an accidental return to the old turtle-neck problem. The head must have gotten some glue under it, because it would not budge off the plate. When I finally got it loose, the head came clean off in my hand. :blink:

Fortunately nothing broke, and it just snapped back on, but yikes.

One issue with mine I already was able to fix, with a razor blade of all things.. I noticed the left wing glove wasn't snapping all the way down, and was catching on the edge of the shoulder block. Well, I took the blade and shaved off some plastic from the underside of the wing, and along the edge, and it now sits perfectly flush. If things aren't sitting right, make sure to check for leftover mold release plastic, so you can trim it down.

So far, I've only hit minor issues all around. My intake covers don't stay on (I'd just glue them in, but we might need to mount super/armor parts in their place later), my left wing glove flops back and forth easily, and my head was stuck down when I first got it.

Actually, I should say the paint coloring is very weird. And this is definitely not a lighting issue. In the past, I know people have noticed issues with plastic colors matching, but I don't recall anyone saying that they had mismatched paint. I've got a lot. The lighter gray panels seem to be painted with all manner of shades, as if someone mixed up separate batches, and repainted certain parts. Some pieces are noticeably lighter, as if they gave more coats.

The weirdest one... it looks like someone already weathered the underside of my left wing glove. It was definitely painted with two separate shades, and the brighter second coat didn't get into the detail, so the panel lines look like they are pre-shaded.

I've also got mismatched painted panels on different halves of the same leg, right above the knee. Among others. <_<

The dumbest thing about some of these problems though.. particularly the wing gloves.. why on earth did they even paint those? The entire part is one color, so why would they mold it in the wrong color, then paint it to match? They've been doing that with some pieces since the v.1s, and for everything they've improved, this particular practice still makes no sense.

I'll take some pics later to show what I mean, and in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but it's still.. well, just dumb.

Just transformed mine to GERWALK mode and WOW am I impressed. I have to say so far, my biggest gripe is the odd orange color of the SMS logo on the stand. S'ok though, that gives me a quickie weekend project in the spring. A little creative masking and a couple of shots of some nice YELLOW paint, and voila!