What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

With 100+ episodes, it looks like Legend of the Galactic Heroes is out of the question, huh?

One has to be "between jobs" to tackle that one. Or be prepared to watch it casually over a couple of months.

The Otaku no Video kickstarter is live. Over half way to the goal in a few hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/otaku-no-video-otaking-edition-subtitled-anime-blu

Yup. Put up 50 bucks on it just as it came out.

Edit: It's less than 7000 away from its goal now. Gainax and Animeigo are an irresistible combination.

Edited by Marzan

Yup. Put up 50 bucks on it just as it came out.

Edit: It's less than 7000 away from its goal now. Gainax and Animeigo are an irresistible combination.

Yup, Woodhead was wise giving a two week tease on this one. Hell soneone even pledged the 2,500 "Otaking" tier.

I'm in at the premium level, too. I wish I had the spare cash to pledge for that LAST Sonada sketch or one of the four cells. If this is anything like the BGC Kickstarter, I imagine those will also be gone in a blink of an eye this week. But no big deal. I haven't seen the full OVA, so I'm looking forward to that.

It's a shame that they couldn't get the DAICON videos as extras. That would have been awesome. But there are probably all sorts of rights issues with those.

Having Klingon subtitles as stretch goal is the most otaku thing I've ever read, LOL.

It's a shame that they couldn't get the DAICON videos as extras. That would have been awesome. But there are probably all sorts of rights issues with those.

Having Klingon subtitles as stretch goal is the most otaku thing I've ever read, LOL.

Yup, had to ask though.

I just finished watching both seasons of Stand Alone Complex for the first time. While the presentation and music was good, I have to say I came away a bit underwhelmed.

While there were parts of the Laughing Man arc of the first GITS:SAC that was one of the best plots I've ever seen in all of anime. I can't say the same about the second season.

It would be pointless to say that I began watching 2nd GIG with high expectations. I was expecting another incredible plot with fantastic action and either less filler or filler that was much, much better. I have to say that the filler was much, much better. But the real letdown was that the fantastic, fast-paced plot that made GITS:SAC a great anime was simply not there. In its place was a convoluted mess, filled with pointless episodes and altogether incredibly bland.

The issue with the plot was this: there wasn't one for most of the story. Most episodes served to only minimally enhance the plot, and even when they did they only introduced plot points that became exceptionally handy later on. I do have to say that the quality of the filler got better compared to the first season, but the sheer amount of filler is simply inexcusable.
When the plot finally did appear it was complicated without being particularly engaging or complex, plagued with pacing issues, and just generally mediocre. Not to mention that the ending was absolutely terrible. A tacked on ending that offers no closure that drives all of the emotional intensity that the writers managed to gather right into the ground.

Another problem is with the characters. For the most part, the characters are nothing special. They're well done, as expected, but it's hard to care too much about any particular character. The standout(s), though, are the Tachikomas, who are funny, lovable, and awesome. While I do want to say that far to much time was devoted to "Tachikomas doing cute things", I still have to say that they are the best characters in 2nd GIG.

Basically GitS SAC suffers from too much filler, too little plot. That's the key problem I have with the series. The entire show could have been shortened to 13 episodes without losing much of the plot or tension. The show drags itself from episode to episode desperately trying to keep you watching with mediocre teasers about where the plot's going. That being said, there are still some genuinely good filler episodes and when the plot finally does get moving it's still watchable. Combined with the Tachikomas contemplating the meaning of the universe, being lovable, and being awesome the experience is passable. At the very least, there are superpowered cyborgs shooting at each other.

Overall Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex lacks a few key things. It lacks a solid plot, it lacks ways to tell what is filler and what isn't, and it lacks philosophy, mystery, or action strong enough to carry a plotless, poorly paced series. And without anything like that, all it is is simply a mediocre anime that fails to accomplish everything that it needs too. In closing, I'd recommend 2nd GIG to someone who has nothing better to watch or to someone who is desperately looking for cyberpunk anime. It's also worth watching if you've seen the first season, if only to complete the Stand Alone Complex continuity.

I checked out Amagi Brilliant Park yesterday and ended up binge-watching all 12 episodes. Great show! It had a unique story and I have never laughed so much while watching an anime series. Totally worth checking out, especially episode 6.

Edited by frothymug

I think it has been recommended over and over, but I also suggest Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockage Battlefront). It has a really nice story, pacing and the characters so far are really like-able.

The art/design are fantastic too!

While far from current (I always try to watch an 'oldie' while keeping up with the latest series), I've finally started watching Armored Trooper Votoms. Good old school Sunrise anime by Ryosuke Takahashi. I've had those DVD's sitting there for 4 years and with my upcoming summer holiday coming up I think now's as good time as any. So far, so good. I really dig the protagonist Chirico Cuvie and you gotta love the name.

I'm still watching Sailor Moon Crystal, and I don't rightly know why. The second arc has been a trainwreck of rushed incompetence.

Oh, right. I'm watching it for the engrish. "Queen Neo Queen Serenity" is a thing they actually said out loud.

Watched The King of Thorns: a pleasant story and a nice animation, check it out!

Anyone else ever watch this? I just bought it on a whim at Fry's and visually, it's a beautiful film and I actually find the story intriguing, but the plot twist in the end flew right over my head... :blink:

Anyone else ever watch this? I just bought it on a whim at Fry's and visually, it's a beautiful film and I actually find the story intriguing, but the plot twist in the end flew right over my head... :blink:

I got to see it a film festival and pretty much agree with your take on it. I've read that there's manga and that they did a bit of rush number adapting it. Still not a bad film IMO.

I'm currently watching Wanna Be The Strongest In The World aka G.L.O.W the anime. This show isn't anywhere near as bad as others have made it out to be. Sure it has fanservice and a penchant for the crotch cam(something real life women's wrestling is notorious for), but if you have even a moderate interest in pro wrestling and at all there's a lot to like.

I also like the fact that it stands in the face of most sports in that the main character isn't some mega gifted super powered hero with a super special move that beats everybody(think gundam build fighters). No she's a novice jobber that loses a ton of her matches and slowly builds her move repetoire as she learns the ins and outs of wrestling. That actually makes it quite refreshing to watch.

So, I ran into this little gem of a quote while reading the thread, "What are you watching right now?" on Anime News Network:

"I don't bother with metaphors since they are useless"

Anyone want to guess what former member this is?

Bankofkev?

So, I ran into this little gem of a quote while reading the thread, "What are you watching right now?" on Anime News Network:

"I don't bother with metaphors since they are useless"

Anyone want to guess what former member this is?

Wanzerfan?

He left? I blocked him so long ago that I didn't notice.

As far as I can remember he was banned.

Anyway back to anime we're watching, anyone else here watching Arslan? The anime has finally overtaken the manga and is getting pretty interesting. It's a very good watch despite the shoddy animation.

As far as I can remember he was banned.

Anyway back to anime we're watching, anyone else here watching Arslan? The anime has finally overtaken the manga and is getting pretty interesting. It's a very good watch despite the shoddy animation.

Arslan is one of those cases where good story can keep this anime afloat despite having constant off model character art and choppy animation. I wish this show was given to Bones or some other studio who could elevate this show to greater levels.

My girlfriend picked out a random anime movie from Netflix and it turned out to be really good! Check out "Expelled from Paradise". The animation was done so well, it took us awhile to realize that the characters were actually 3D models. There were several action-packed mecha fights and the story was pretty engaging. Normally, I don't like post-apocalyptic/dystopian settings, but this one was still full of life and varied characters. Rie Kugimiya (Taiga from Toradora and Louise from Zero no Tsukaima) plays her usual tsundere role and Hiroshi Kamiya (Michael Blanc from MacF, Mephisto from Blue Exorcist, and so many more...) lends his voice to a sentient robot character. I don't know the VA of the male lead character, though. Very worth a watch! It was about two hours.

My girlfriend picked out a random anime movie from Netflix and it turned out to be really good! Check out "Expelled from Paradise". The animation was done so well, it took us awhile to realize that the characters were actually 3D models. There were several action-packed mecha fights and the story was pretty engaging. Normally, I don't like post-apocalyptic/dystopian settings, but this one was still full of life and varied characters. Rie Kugimiya (Taiga from Toradora and Louise from Zero no Tsukaima) plays her usual tsundere role and Hiroshi Kamiya (Michael Blanc from MacF, Mephisto from Blue Exorcist, and so many more...) lends his voice to a sentient robot character. I don't know the VA of the male lead character, though. Very worth a watch! It was about two hours.

Hey! Your girlfriend picks out anime for you, she don't tell me what to do! I'll watch what I damn well please.