What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Well guys it happened. In addition to my Anime Boston panels on mecha in videogames, and Air Combat in Anime another of my panels got selected and its the big one.

ready for it?

"ALL YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ECCHI AND FANSERVICE BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK!!!"

Yep with that panel I've pretty much covered all my interactions on this forum. Videogame, mecha, military tech, and of course dirty anime. This is going to be my first(and only) ever 18+ panel so I plan on going all out full retard on it.

The plan is to cover the history of fanservice(like all things in anime messed up it starts with Go Nagai), why it exists, why ecchi over hentai, the fetish tropes of ecchi, and the good, the bad, and the ugly show recommendations of the genre.

I plan on featuring the following animes:

AIKa and the rest of the Studio Fantasiaverse

Kekko Kamen

Queen's Blade

Maken Ki

Ikki Tousen

Cat Planet Cuties

Qwaser of Stigmata

Cutey Honey

Highschool DXD

Highschool of the Dead

Horizon in the Middlle of Nowhere

Freezing

So... any recommendations? Thoughts? Things I should include?

These are some of the typical ecchi tropes you see in anime

1. panchira (パンチラ) - a slight peak of the panties

2. panmoro (パンモロ) - full blown showing of panties

3. chichiyure (乳ゆれ) - breast shaking/bouncing

4. sukaato mekuri (スカートめくり) - lifting up of the skirt

5. nyuuyoku scene (入浴シーン) - bathing scene (bathtub, shower, onsen)

6. kigae scene (着替えシーン) - changing clothes scene

Here's a page with a lot of ecchi scene pics : http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kibisan/20140806

Edited by Vifam7

So what would you recommend aside from Gunbuster and Eva, those being the only two Gainax things I've really watched?

I know you're asking Keith, but I'd suggest Mahoromatic.

On another note, has anyone here watched Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)? I'm 8 episodes in and I have to say it's one of the strangest, yet most compelling recently made shows I've seen. It's like a mix of Akira, Elfen Lied and a Miyazaki film I really cannot explain it any other way.

On another note, has anyone here watched Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)? I'm 8 episodes in and I have to say it's one of the strangest, yet most compelling recently made shows I've seen. It's like a mix of Akira, Elfen Lied and a Miyazaki film I really cannot explain it any other way.

YES!

Two things:

1. I's nice to see the characters grow up. They're adults with actual jobs and crap when the third arc starts.

2. I personally consider that show's subtitle to be "And then things get worse". Just as fair warning.

Mahoromatic is a prime example, as are Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt, He Is My Naster, thr Daicon IV chick wearing a Playboy Bunny suit, and really, "almost" everything Gainax has done after Honneamise. Gunbuster is still the best example, being the origin of realisticly animated breast physics.

YES!

Two things:

1. I's nice to see the characters grow up. They're adults with actual jobs and crap when the third arc starts.

2. I personally consider that show's subtitle to be "And then things get worse". Just as fair warning.

I can see number two in action most of the time, LOL.

OOohh yeah... Shin Sekai Yori had a number of "pull-you-in" twists and turns. I don't want to say too much for fear of giving too much away. Your synopsis that compares it to other productions is spot on, Marzan, but I thought it began cutting its own path pretty quickly, too.

Very unique.

Yes! I'm quite a fan of Shin Sekai Yori.

Watched the first episode of Tiger and Bunny.

Pretty cool.

The Anime Tropes seem to overtake a really cool concept. Not engrossed but I'll give it another shot.

Oh, hell yes!

That show's fun as a really fun thing.

Finished watching From The New World. Mindblowing stuff. I watched on Crunchyroll but I'm definitely getting the BD's. It's that good. Absolutely and eminently recommendable series.

For a small change of pace, I'm now going back a couple of decades and gonna watch Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Have heard good things about it.

Finished watching From The New World. Mindblowing stuff. I watched on Crunchyroll but I'm definitely getting the BD's. It's that good. Absolutely and eminently recommendable series.

For a small change of pace, I'm now going back a couple of decades and gonna watch Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Have heard good things about it.

Glad to hear that you liked it!

^Ditto.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor was fun, and is a welcome part of my DVD library. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it, Marzan.

And I haven't mentioned it in a while, but I reached episode 100 of Galaxy Express 999 today. My thoughts are still scattered at the moment, but here's a quick preview summary: I'm glad I set aside the time for it. :)

Edited by technoblue

I've had Irresponsible Captain Tylor on my shelf for years and I finally watched it recently. I was totally on the fence between disliking Tylor as a total moron or considering him an idiot savant. Couple episodes were pure gold, but an equal number were lame. The last few episodes swayed my opinion and the final scene clinched it. Good ensemble cast of characters (loved that they had a marine named Jason who wore a hockey mask). Just started watching the OVA this week. Hope you enjoy it!

I've had Irresponsible Captain Tylor on my shelf for years and I finally watched it recently. I was totally on the fence between disliking Tylor as a total moron or considering him an idiot savant. Couple episodes were pure gold, but an equal number were lame. The last few episodes swayed my opinion and the final scene clinched it. Good ensemble cast of characters (loved that they had a marine named Jason who wore a hockey mask). Just started watching the OVA this week. Hope you enjoy it!

So far it's pretty funny. I can see how Tylor's act could wear thin after a while, so I'm hoping that the other characters will get more screen time.

Cross Ange is rapidly speeding towards its conclusion, and I am thoroughly satisfied with everything so far. That scene with Salia at the beginning of ep 22 was magical.

Cross Ange's secret is not taking itself too seriously. When they do an asspull of sorts, they make sure to make fun of it themselves.

Having said that I'm saddened that my dream of an Ange/Hilda finale does seem to have blown to dust now!

Edited by Marzan

It's probably a bit childish, but I'm watching Fairy Tail...

Not everything you watch has too be deep and philosophical... I get enough of that in my philosophy classes (I dream in C++, with references to Hegel, Marx, and Kierkegaard... figure that one out...).

Latest episode of Cross Ange was glorious (save the Virgin Road quality animation at some points!) We get

Ange shooting a civilian through the forehead, taking off her panties and stuffing them in Tusk's pocket as a good luck charm, and for the absolute highlight, giving Hilda a warm and deep kiss and tenderly embracing her...Oh and did I mention the mecha action?

I recently finished binge watching Hunter x Hunter and enjoyed it.

I never thought I needed to watch a sports animne but I hit random on crunchyroll and Ace of the Diamond popped up. I'm now on ep. 20.

Also found another interesting where ep. 1 was quite good - Time of Eve.

I recently finished binge watching Hunter x Hunter and enjoyed it.

I never thought I needed to watch a sports animne but I hit random on crunchyroll and Ace of the Diamond popped up. I'm now on ep. 20.

Also found another interesting where ep. 1 was quite good - Time of Eve.

Time of Eve is really good. If you like it, try to get the movie version in BD. It has some extra scenes ( in HD of course) and it includes some of Yasuhiro Yoshiura's other works, including the excellent Pale Cocoon.

Just watched Machine Doll wa Kizutsu Kanai.

It's OK, like 7.5/10-ish OK. An unbreakable artificial human girl named Yaya is controlled by her master, Raishin. The story seems to be straying at times with lots of unfilled gaps. It doesn't explain a whole lot about Yaya and why she is so attached to Raishin. And then it didn't explain why Charlotte looks completely different in certain scenes. Overall, this show was a bit average with not much of a wow factor. I'm not trying to be harsh, but it is what it is. <_<

Ugh, I was so looking forward to Unbreakable Machine Doll, and I had to drop it almost immediately. I didn't even get far enough in to see what all details and major plot points they were dropping.

It was just so cheaply made, I couldn't bear to keep going. Broke my heart.

lol to even call it average is too generous. Full of fanservice and cliches.

Yeah, you might be right. It seems Unbreakable Machine Doll was using all the episodes to set up for season 2 or something. There was no resolution to any plot lines. While I was not looking for Steins;Gate level of writing or clever plot twists, the Machine Doll writers should have aim for at least making the story understandable for the viewers.

As for fan service, Maken Ki which I'm currently on, seems to be over doing it.