What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

i'm up to date on Shirobako and yes, i would encourage folks to give it a try.

it's a bit of a rarity being a slice of life show that isn't about students (the entire cast are working professionals).

pretty interesting insights on the ins and outs of making an anime, including some discussions on 3D vs. hand drawn, and the characters are shown drinking actual beer rather than tea or softdrinks.

the last few episodes had a good dose of heartwarming moments.

Denki-gai no Honya-san is also another show currently airing where the cast are working folks (crew of a manga/anime shop in Akiba) and is quite hilarious at times.

I added both to my queue!

I finally watched the final episode of Kill la Kill and also finished Devil is a Part Timer so I have room for new shows.

I'm digging Terraformars, even though I get lost every now and then. But to be honest, episodes eight and nine were a yawn for me. I get character development and all but it felt almost like filler... :5:

So, this is a stupidly vague question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I really want to sit down and catch up with popular anime series because I haven't watched anything in it's entirety in quite a while.

what are some really good series that have come out since 2008~2009.

So, this is a stupidly vague question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I really want to sit down and catch up with popular anime series because I haven't watched anything in it's entirety in quite a while.

what are some really good series that have come out since 2008~2009.

Bakemonogatati, Nisemonogatari, Nekomogatari Kuro, Nekomonogatari Shiro, Kabukimomogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari, Koimonogqtari, Hanamonogatari, and in a month Tsukimonogatari.

Seriously though, aside from the above series, try easing back in with Yamato 2199, and Space Brothers. Knights of Sidonia, Psycho-Pass, & Kill la Kill are all easilu Netflixable, but you should check out Crunchyroll, even if just the free version of the service.

Edited by Keith

Bakemonogatati, Nisemonogatari, Nekomogatari Kuro, Nekomonogatari Shiro, Kabukimomogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari, Koimonogqtari, Hanamonogatari, and in a month Tsukimonogatari.

well, I was going to just count that as 1 thing. (is that the correct viewing order BTW?).

What Keith said is on the money.

And do not watch Akame Ga Kill. The show was doing ok when it was following the manga, but as soon as it went anime original route the wheels came off. The last episode was dreadful.

Thanks for the Shirobako recommendation. Really enjoying a series which is about people at work and a look at the anime industry. My only question at this point is: If they really put that much thought into characters personality and motivations...how the hell do they explain 2/3 of male MC's? Or does the attention to detail only apply to female characters? :D

I think it won't be a problemMadhouse has a good record making manga adaptations as far as I can tell, hey've covered 28 chapters out of the manga's 64, and are at episode 11 out of 24 so they're right on schedule.

Thanks for the Shirobako recommendation. Really enjoying a series which is about people at work and a look at the anime industry. My only question at this point is: If they really put that much thought into characters personality and motivations...how the hell do they explain 2/3 of male MC's? Or does the attention to detail only apply to female characters? :D

I don't think I understand your question... Can you elaborate? :unsure:

The episode today for Parasyte is both good and interesting. I forgot who recommended it in this thread, but I am happy that I am watching it now.

For those that have read the manga, do you think a 24 episode is enough to wrap up the story?

I am definitely loving Parasyte, I believe I recommended it in earlier in the thread, it's a damn good adaptation. And do I think 24 is enough to wrap up the whole story? Yes, they've been doing an excellent job trimming the fat here and there, the internal monologues were cut down or cut completely, and when they do happen, it's all paced really well. Honestly they're over the half way hump of the overall manga, they're closing in on the final characters and event setups, the hunt for the Parasytes is beginning soon.

On a side note I watched the whole Gantz anime, I had read the whole manga so I decided it was time to give it a try. Damn though, it was awful. I mean, I knew in 26 episodes there was no way they'd get to the invasion of the giants, I figured it had an original ending, I just didn't know it would be that, friggin, bad. Did the manga get super popular so they had to crap out the anime as fast as possible and it caught up, I mean what happened? It was a fairly solid adaptation until the mission with the statue aliens, and then it all totally fell apart, I don't just hate where it ended, I also thoroughly hated how it ended, it was just a bad original ending in my opinion. I also watched the live action movies and it's almost literally the same problem, but in live action, the first film was a decent adaption until once again, the statue part, and then there was yet another, different original ending for that too, and it too was crappy. Who knows, maybe somewhere down the line Gantz will get the Full Metal Brotherhood treatment and a new anime will launch that will actually go the distance of the manga, I mean I know it got horrifying and relentlessly brutal towards the end, but I also thought it was one of the best alien invasion disaster stories I've read in a manga.

Niva was ultimately a living being with a will of her own. Tge Chaika's were designed to have free will with a pre-set purpose, so it stands that Niva was the same.

Since the Chaika's were "Seeded" tgrough out orphaned girls, and all had pre-set colors / specific objectives. Vivi was most likely a backup since she had't been activated yet, specifically for tge Blue Chaika. By the time she was activated to replace the blue one, she already a strong will /love for her captain. Matbe it was her grief at his death that allowed her to abort the process, but that's why I believe Vivi only became a half Chaika.

Gaz's ultimate downfall was his belief that he fully understood human will. Was Niva willing to mass destroy for him? Yup. Was she willing to kill the girl that didn't treat her like a tool? Nope.

I don't think I understand your question... Can you elaborate? :unsure:

I'm assuming that Shirobako takes a somewhat realistic look (well they have to add a bit of drama too) at the behind the scenes of developing a series. In that context, I was surprised to see the episode where the director rolls back an entire episode in order to get the voice acting/expressions to match what the director envisioned the character’s personality and emotional palette. He described an backstory for her and wanted it to be able to convey to the rest of the staff how she should talk, cry, behave etc…

I feel that such detail and care for making a 'whole' character is perhaps not always present in some series, and I particularly feel that many male characters are missing that kind of characterization. My question (a bit tongue in cheek I suppose) was more of a point I was trying to make, that perhaps with female characters being the main selling points of many a series, production staff feel they require more depth to them?

i'm ok with where the story ultimately ended, just that i have no idea it was slated for 10 eps rather than the usual 12.

i think it would've benefit with even just one more episode

i mean, Niwa flipped sides just like that?

and i still lost on the half-Chaika.

I don’t understand why they made the second season 10 episodes instead of the normal 12 or 13 (a TV network decision perhaps?). I think the events of the last episode could have been spread out over two. Still, they managed to tie things up well enough.

We can look forward to the OVA now.

I'm assuming that Shirobako takes a somewhat realistic look (well they have to add a bit of drama too) at the behind the scenes of developing a series. In that context, I was surprised to see the episode where the director rolls back an entire episode in order to get the voice acting/expressions to match what the director envisioned the character’s personality and emotional palette. He described an backstory for her and wanted it to be able to convey to the rest of the staff how she should talk, cry, behave etc…

I feel that such detail and care for making a 'whole' character is perhaps not always present in some series, and I particularly feel that many male characters are missing that kind of characterization. My question (a bit tongue in cheek I suppose) was more of a point I was trying to make, that perhaps with female characters being the main selling points of many a series, production staff feel they require more depth to them?

Ah, OK... I thought you meant that the male characters in Shirobako itself were less developed than the female characters (this, I can see, could be a recurring problem in a show this meta...).

Anyway, taking your question/comment at face value, I think the point of all that is not really that director is trying to give the characters on "Exodus!" as much depth as possible, but just that he's indecisive AND perfectionist, and has a tendency to sabotage his own projects. He's also, I think, meant to be shown as an exception rather than the rule (his last show had ended in failure, hasn't directed a show a years, etc.).

^

Good point about the director (had a great laugh at another one of his changes

the new ending of Exodus

The last episode of Cross Ange gave me in it's second half some Macross vibes.

I have to say... Exodus sounds like a show I might watch... :ph34r:

As for Cross Ange, one of my friends pointed this out... Check out the gravestone on the far right...

post-939-0-48135500-1418616421_thumb.jpg

RIP, Dgmkm Xgjkkk... I think we can all agree that she died too young, before any of us learned how to pronounce her name...

^¨

The director doesn't like vocals too much it seems.

Akame Ga Kill. The last episode wasn't too bad, but as whole, the ending arc (which was anime original) was pretty poor. Let's hope the manga does it better.

I have to say... Exodus sounds like a show I might watch... :ph34r:

As for Cross Ange, one of my friends pointed this out... Check out the gravestone on the far right...

attachicon.gifB4zyyuXCYAE4CxK.jpg

RIP, Dgmkm Xgjkkk... I think we can all agree that she died too young, before any of us learned how to pronounce her name...

Man, after all the effort they expended on the letter of apology...

This show! I just don't ever know what to think of it!

Bizarre... it looks like the reason Shirobako Ep. 6 got pulled is NOT because of the Ideon parody, but because of the "Waiting for Godot" bit...

I've been reading some stuff on that play that make think you're absolutely right. Apparently Mr. Beckett and his heirs were/are particularly fussy about his material being represented properly.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/feb/04/arts.italy

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/waiting-for-godot-samuel-beckett-with-baseball-caps-9334277.html

http://berkshireonstage.com/2011/02/23/beckett-estate-forbids-post-katrina-waiting-for-godot-in-north-adams/