Jump to content
wolfx

What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

Recommended Posts

I love Lucky Star and the Suzumiya Haruhi references.  I found it so funny when Konata dressed up as Haruhi at work and uses her Haruhi voice.  The look on Kagamis face was priceless.  When Nagato Yuki and Kyon appear to I was laughing so hard i almost fell out of bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best anime for me this season continues to be Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na. What a wonderful, enjoyable love letter to animation.

The characters are all likeable (but not perfect, there are no Mary Sues here) and have a nice chemistry with each other, the future Japan setting is well realized, and there's some great sequences of animation going on, despite the undoubtedly low budget. By far the single anime I look forward to the most each week. The most recent episode dealt with some familiar discussions and debates that will be familiar to anyone who's tried to discuss mecha online, yet its obvious the creators are all fans of the genre. Hard to believe we've almost hit the halfway point. The OP is quite an earworm as well.

I hope the manga gets licensed in the west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 3:33 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru is... interesting.  It's kind of depressing, really, given how perversely proud Hachiman is of being socially withdrawn and how much hate he seems to have for his classmates.  

Don't want to give too much away, but let me just say that you should keep on watching. It's a rewarding series. The upcoming season 3 is probably the show I'm looking forward to the most this year.

On another  note, this season has been pretty disappointing. I've never dropped so many shows after 4 episodes. My only pleasant surprise besides Eiozuken has been the Runway fashion show (Dorohedoro I knew I'd love unless they completely messed up the adaptation).

Alas, Funimation/Wakanim has decided to pull Interspecies Reviewers after only 4 episodes. They must have gotten cold feet considering how in incredibly ecchi/raunchy this show is. Interesting though is thay they pulled it in the English language markets but not the rest. Food for thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Alas, Funimation/Wakanim has decided to pull Interspecies Reviewers after only 4 episodes. They must have gotten cold feet considering how in incredibly ecchi/raunchy this show is. Interesting though is thay they pulled it in the English language markets but not the rest. Food for thought.

I have yet to see Ep 4, but the thrid episode was straight up softcore. From what I've been hearing the anime is well past the raunchiness level of the manga. So Funi might have licenced the series based on the manga levels and the anime crossed the line. 

You can still watch fan-subbed uncensored eps for free on p***hub. Been where I've been watching it.

Question is for those that want it, who's going to do the blu-ray release now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Focslain said:

I have yet to see Ep 4, but the thrid episode was straight up softcore. From what I've been hearing the anime is well past the raunchiness level of the manga. So Funi might have licenced the series based on the manga levels and the anime crossed the line. 

You can still watch fan-subbed uncensored eps for free on p***hub. Been where I've been watching it.

Question is for those that want it, who's going to do the blu-ray release now?

Yeah, I think someone at Funi didn't do their homework in the race to be first to license. Don't hold your breath for a BD release.

The interesting thing here is that other language areas will be getting the show. It's only English language stream that gets dropped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On to love live soon.  I enjoyed Sunshine so why not.

This season is terrible I am only enjoying Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. is not bad but a long way from Railgun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the kids to see Weathering With You over the weekend (actually just a day after my first viewing), and... huh. I dunno what happened in between that first showing and the second, but I was way more into it the second time around. It still has all of the same "Shinkai-isms" as before, but I was far less irritated by them than I was the night before. Quite enjoyed myself this time around.

The one musical cue that made me burst into stifled laughter still did so this time, too, though. Really such an odd place to put it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marzan said:

Yeah, I think someone at Funi didn't do their homework in the race to be first to license. Don't hold your breath for a BD release.

The interesting thing here is that other language areas will be getting the show. It's only English language stream that gets dropped

Well Funi was doing the dubbing, so that might explain it. The licence to Waka might be seperate and they don't have an issue with the series?

Also if Funi dropped the licence then hopefully someone else will. Senti is a good bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marzan said:

On another  note, this season has been pretty disappointing. I've never dropped so many shows after 4 episodes. My only pleasant surprise besides Eiozuken has been the Runway fashion show (Dorohedoro I knew I'd love unless they completely messed up the adaptation).

This really has been a rather disappointing season... there have been a number of new shows I've had to force myself to marathon just to get through them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

This really has been a rather disappointing season... there have been a number of new shows I've had to force myself to marathon just to get through them.

It is strange I usually watch 8-10 shows per season.

I am watching 6, 2 being Isekai Quartet and Heya Camp.  So 4 full shows. 

Nest season is looking much better. 7 sequels right now for me and Railgun T continuing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The show about a Golem and a human child (Somali) is very good (A little slow, but good, much like the show about the Bookworm girl from the past season) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So saw the latest ep of Interspecies Reviewers and in light of recent events that opening joke was way too on point. Have to give it to Passione that they are setting boundaries when they switch to a tamer scene during the sausage cooking sequence. Or they just enjoy teasing the audience.

I hope that losing the US streaming doesn't deter them. This series is as funny as it is ecchi, which is alot.

Edited by Focslain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu is so good I love Maple. Two of my favorite voices actors joined the show this week Hayami Saori and Arai Satomi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up the original Tenchi Muyo OVA's on blu-ray over the holidays on the cheap.    So I figured I would give it a go,   definately do show their age,  but are still enjoyable.   I always liked the OVA's and the follow up OVA's but never was much of a fan for any of the TV series.

Moving on..  I was gifted the Ero-manga sensei blu-rays over the same holiday period.    I remember watching them when they first came out, and it was OK.   Going back now and only a few episodes in.. this series has a VERY high skeeve factor.     It's not all bad,  but the target audience here gives me the creeps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I picked up the original Tenchi Muyo OVA's on blu-ray over the holidays on the cheap.    So I figured I would give it a go,   definately do show their age,  but are still enjoyable.   I always liked the OVA's and the follow up OVA's but never was much of a fan for any of the TV series.

Yeah, the main Tenchi Muyo! OVAs can be a bit of a drag... Kagato's kind of a weak first villain, and Dr. Clay isn't much better.

 

 

 

I've been marathoning Enrolled Demon Iruma (localised as Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun), and it's... odd.  It's like someone combined Rosario+Vampire with Actually, I am....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished the main story of Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father! last night. The last episode left me so sad and emotional it was so moving.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about halfway into Enrolled Demon Iruma, and let me tell you the idea that it's Rosario+Vampire meets Actually, I am... is DEAD ON.  Like, hitting the bullseye with laser guidance.

It's not a bad show, by any means, but if you've seen either of those other two shows you've essentially already seen this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I watched voices of a distant star and for a 25 minute movie it is so good.

Mm. One of my favorites and it was my introduction to director Mikoto Shinkai many moons ago.

Also, it was one of the first shows (of any genre) that I saw back in the day to make texting integral to the plot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Mm. One of my favorites and it was my introduction to director Mikoto Shinkai many moons ago.

Also, it was one of the first shows (of any genre) that I saw back in the day to make texting integral to the plot.

My 1st foray into Shinkai works was Kimi no Na wa and I have been trying to see everything else he made.  Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko was also good even though it was just a few minutes.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

My 1st foray into Shinkai works was Kimi no Na wa and I have been trying to see everything else he made.  Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko was also good even though it was just a few minutes.

Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko was also very good. I still have to watch Shinkai's three latest releases, including Kimi no Na wa. I'll have to cue it up this week and start getting caught up. ^_^ The last Shinkai anime I remember seeing was Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo. The story starts off as a fun adventure but morphs into something touching and emotional by the final act. Well done from what I recall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I watched voices of a distant star and for a 25 minute movie it is so good.

The original version of that is one of my favorite Shinkai works; not so much for the story but for the fact that he did everything but the female lead's voice (which if I recall correctly was done by his wife/girlfriend) himself.

Edited by Jaustin89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, technoblue said:

Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko was also very good. I still have to watch Shinkai's three latest releases, including Kimi no Na wa. I'll have to cue it up this week and start getting caught up. ^_^ The last Shinkai anime I remember seeing was Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo. The story starts off as a fun adventure but morphs into something touching and emotional by the final act. Well done from what I recall. 

I loved Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo and Kotonoha no Niwa.  I don't think i have found a single Shinkai movie that I didn't enjoy.  Tenki no Ko, was a great film.  It is much more fun to see it in the theatre.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to give Voices of a Distant Star a watch; it's on my list. Just finished my first viewing of Macross 7, and it took me awhile, but I came to enjoy it. The three Encore eps are great, lots of tongue in cheek humor.  Still have to watch M7: The Movie, Dynamite, and FB7, but overall, once I settled into the story and characters, and kinda figured out Basara's deal, it grew on me. Still don't like Planet Dance, though. What I can say is, it feels like a Macross story, as all the familiar elements are there, but it has a lighter tone than pretty much all the rest of the Macross series, although it's closer to Delta than the rest, in that regard. I liked it better than Delta- that one just didn't grab me. But I liked the toys.:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't taken the time to watch much anime lately. But i have sat down with my son a few times to watch Dragon Prince with him. I must say I've enjoyed what I've seen. I won't defend weather or not it's "anime" but it really tries and does hit the tropes . Season 3 wrapped it up pretty good, no major surprises. They could let it rest or milk another one. I will conclude by saying i approve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped watching Hundred at around episode 8 or 9. It's not bad, but its not great either.

 

I did start watching Frame Arms Girl, and I'm shocked at how good it is. For a tie in show of model kit line it's better than it has any right to be. It kind of knows its an advertisment for kits and pokes fun at that fact. For example a character will randomly start schilling for Kotobukiya(the company that makes the frame arms kits) and their cutting nippers, while the person they're talking to gets more and more annoyed, or bored looks for ways to make the person shut up or off themselves. 

 

The main character Ao is also refreshing. Unlike other shows like this where the main character wants to be the best, collect them all, or win tournaments, she really doesn't want any of that. She's just random girl Kotobukiya picked to play test their line of frame arms girls. She's only motivated to do anything with the girls once she finds out the company will pay her to have them battle. From there they kind of grow on her to the point she treats them like dysfunctional but well intended children.

 

I'd definately give this show a recommedation. Especially if you build model kits/gunpla as some of the humor is directly at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went and saw Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll  in theatres a few days ago. 

Overall not bad,  but IMO not real great either.   I enjoyed the Violet Evergarden series as a whole,  but this made for a rather dull entry as a movie.

Also finally got a chance to see  Re:ZERO Memory Snow OVA

It was a very lighthearted entry to the Re:Zero Series and I think it did rather well.    I still want to see the Frozen Bonds OVA before the 2nd season hits.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished a binge rewatch of Overlord... to remind myself of what good isekai is like when we're currently being deluged with bad isekai.

Enrolled Demon Iruma is about 3/4 over, and so far it's turned out to be a mildly entertaining but toothless and entirely predictable take on the whole "kid enrolled in a school who has to keep their true nature secret or face expulsion or worse" schtick that was done better in Rosario+Vampire and Actually, I am....  Fun to watch, but it does so little to surprise that it's almost paint-by-numbers.

Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It kind of petered out pretty quick there.  It was a cute concept, but it feels like the original author had exactly one joke and proceeded to wear it out VERY quickly.  It's going to run for 12 episodes, but as of episode 8 it feels like it's just treading water.

Isekai Quartet's staying weird and proud of it.  Now that I've seen three of the four shows it's mainly referencing, the humor's a little better.  I still have to get around to Re:ZERO, but the combination of OverlordKonoSuba, and Yojo Senki is definitely a breeding ground for TONS of weird.  They made a lot of noise about including the cast of Shield Hero this season, but they're basically a glorified cameo.

My Hero Academia's into one of the manga's weaker arcs... it feels like they should've saved Overhaul's arc for a longer run.  Definitely over too soon.

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong, as I Expected is a pretty dreary show so far.  I feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it because there is ZERO character development.  Hachiman is such an unrepentant misanthrope that he can't develop.  

Five Equal Brides (The Quintessential Quintuplets) is a bit of a slog too... what's with this recent trend of half-assed harem shows where the protagonist is an impoverished academic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Finished a binge rewatch of Overlord... to remind myself of what good isekai is like when we're currently being deluged with bad isekai.

Enrolled Demon Iruma is about 3/4 over, and so far it's turned out to be a mildly entertaining but toothless and entirely predictable take on the whole "kid enrolled in a school who has to keep their true nature secret or face expulsion or worse" schtick that was done better in Rosario+Vampire and Actually, I am....  Fun to watch, but it does so little to surprise that it's almost paint-by-numbers.

Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It kind of petered out pretty quick there.  It was a cute concept, but it feels like the original author had exactly one joke and proceeded to wear it out VERY quickly.  It's going to run for 12 episodes, but as of episode 8 it feels like it's just treading water.

Isekai Quartet's staying weird and proud of it.  Now that I've seen three of the four shows it's mainly referencing, the humor's a little better.  I still have to get around to Re:ZERO, but the combination of OverlordKonoSuba, and Yojo Senki is definitely a breeding ground for TONS of weird.  They made a lot of noise about including the cast of Shield Hero this season, but they're basically a glorified cameo.

My Hero Academia's into one of the manga's weaker arcs... it feels like they should've saved Overhaul's arc for a longer run.  Definitely over too soon.

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong, as I Expected is a pretty dreary show so far.  I feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it because there is ZERO character development.  Hachiman is such an unrepentant misanthrope that he can't develop.  

Five Equal Brides (The Quintessential Quintuplets) is a bit of a slog too... what's with this recent trend of half-assed harem shows where the protagonist is an impoverished academic?

The Quintessential Quintuplets gets better, I am reading the Manga and I hope the 2nd season is better.  I agree about the poor academics showing up far to often.  Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai and Nariyuki is a another case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kinda slow on my part for the anime watching..

Finally started the latest season of Railgun.. not even 3 episodes in and I'm reminded of why this entire franchise gets on my nerves.    2D main characters,   more organizations with silly one word english names with no relevance after 2 episodes... in this instance MISSION...  lol wtf?    and sorry @Hikaru Ichijo SL I know Misaka is your thing.. but Shirai(?) is probably the single most annoying anime character ever created..  ok besides the main character from Angel Links..

Its hard for me to follow chronologically because of all the other spinoffs,  who knows what and where we are in the story progression.   

I was hesitant to start this season because of the train wreck that Index III turned into,  but I will probably slog it out.. hopefully it gets better.

 

 

 

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've almost finished Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru... I found it pretty dull, for the most part.

It's a lot like Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! but the social ineptitude-induced cringe response is treated as a source of cheap drama instead of a source of cheap laughs.  It seems to be heading towards an unearned happy ending where Hachiman's status as a Jerk with a Heart of Also Jerk is somehow recast as Jerk with a Heart of Gold without him actually changing at all.

That said, it comes nowhere close to the level of misery porn now embodied by Attack on Titan.  I got caught up on that manga the other day while I was waiting for an automated task to finish at work and damn if it isn't bleak as hell.  The protagonist has achieved a level of nationalist, xenophobic, genocidal prick that would make even Hitler tell him to tone it the hell down and his rival isn't any better... they literally get into a big argument over which one of them has a more appropriate target for genocide.  Even the reveal of the origin of the Titans ended up as an unexplained copout.

Spoiler

But the real downer is that yes, the protagonist is ABSOLUTELY committing a mass genocide of the entire population of the rest of the world... while half of the cast celebrates the impending demise of all other life on the planet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...