What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

My daughter started getting me to watch that dragon maid show as well. It's pretty fun and reminds me of a lesbian Tenchi with all the weird female dragons seemingly in love with Miss Kobayashi, and her not being interested in anything other than friendship. I also like that she's kind of a double personality when it comes to drinking.

Konosuba's animation quality took a dive this second season, but remained funny as heck.

enjoying Fuuka, despite the (valid) negative reviews. for a music themed anime, the music is pretty sparse. they just keep recycling the OP. but it's a song i really like.

liked first few episodes of 3gatsu. saving it for a marathon.

Akiba's Trip is good for mindless fun. Masamune was also that, until things got more serious (and admittedly, interesting) on ep8.

Kobayashi and Youjo Senki are my favorite new shows this season.

and finally watched the 2nd Arpeggio movie. that was great!

I loved the first season of Ajin. I felt that season 2 ended up a bit more formulaic, it didn't reveal enogh answers to the major mysteries for my liking and it had a stupid plot twist ending that I fear will just make the show tread waters next season. But overall, the show is still great. Quite a bit different in tone from Kuromukuro, though

Edited by Lorindor

I'm going to break from a few that are currently running so I can proper binge on them later.

Currently going thru the Legend of Galatic Heroes OVA, I already did the epic 110 ep tv series and loved it.

I'm going to track down the Arppiego movies as well as Girl und Panzer this weekend.

Side note, group is hitting up the new SAO movie this week as our local theater got it. Hoping it's at least pretty.

On 3/7/2017 at 5:03 AM, Convectuoso said:

Is the first season any good?

I'm watching Kuromukuro now, and looking for something to watch next.

The first season is excellent.  The dubbing is first rate as well.

Up to about the 4th or 5th episode of season 2 and the animation is starting to get to me - it is computer done which is OK but somebody decided that everyone should be moving all the time, which in theory is good, but most of the characters seem to be aimlessly rocking back and forth or turning their head from side to side and it kinda looks like bad animatronics.  Whenever a character is moving for a reason it looks fine however.

4 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I got a bit of an odd question for everyone. Aside from obvious shows like Girls Und Panzer or Tank Police can you guys tell me any anime that has an emphasis on tank battles or just really cool scenes with them or armored fighting vehicles? 

Valkyria Chronicles features 'Adelweiss', one of the sexiest tanks in Anime

My Room-mate and I just finished Puella Magica... :o... did not see that coming... I figured it was going to be some pedantic "the power of friendship and confidence" bs but WOW was that way off-base!

A+ Recommended

Just got out of the Sword Art Online movie and I must say the movie was ALOT of fun and was very heavily connected to the very first arc of SAO. I can totally see why they hired the director of photography from Ufotable because most of the action scenes looked like I was watching the glorious battles from either Fate/zero or unlimited blade works. There's also plenty of touching moments between Kirito and Asuna that were just damn cute. If I were to complain about anything, it would be a few scenes do look a little limited in the animation department for a theatrical screening, but there was always a large action set piece to follow so I can overlook some of the slower scenes that looked just okay. The final confrontation was an SAO fan's wet dream and was a glorious spectacle of action. Overall, I'm very pleased with this movie and I hope Aniplex and Funimation continue to do more anime movie screenings! 

I was also very pleased to see the anime fans in my area come out to fill every seat in the theater. 

It was funny some asshat I was sitting next to in a restaurant said, "who watches anime now anyways? no one does." I swear if I could have shown that clown a picture of the theater I would have such a laugh. 

8 hours ago, chyll2 said:

SAO movie has a regular cinema run on our country and I was not hyped for it since the recent season of SAO was a let down. So I said to myself, that movie will suck and I rather save money. It turns out, it was good and people are liking.

I'm not the biggest SAO fan either, but when I read the plot synopsis and read early reviews it intrigued me to see it. This is the first time I got to see a subbed anime-fan only movie on the big screen and I want to support more of it. 

16 hours ago, slide said:

My Room-mate and I just finished Puella Magica... :o... did not see that coming... I figured it was going to be some pedantic "the power of friendship and confidence" bs but WOW was that way off-base!

A+ Recommended

Madoka is really something else. Make sure to catch the films. While not as powerful thematically as the series, the level of visual artistry on them is on another level.

17 hours ago, slide said:

A+ Recommended

I loved Madoka. There's so many nice touches. The opening animation goes from wholly unrelated to actively spiteful, especially as they keep adding girls to it. At some point it stops being a bait&switch and starts just rubbing salt in the would after every bad thing happens.

Meanwhile, the opening song is huge spoilers but no one notices because it SEEMS to be the same generic unrelated-to-anything cuteness that defines most anime openings.

Favorite moment: I was introducing a friend to it. I'd already watched it. We watched two episodes, he was "Okay, this is fun. " and I was "Let's watch one more episode before we shut down!"

After the Mami Moment in episode 3, he was just "I... I don't think I like this anymore." (He did watch the entire show, and enjoyed it, but... the Mami Moment is a bit of a shock)

On 3/9/2017 at 7:49 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

I got a bit of an odd question for everyone. Aside from obvious shows like Girls Und Panzer or Tank Police can you guys tell me any anime that has an emphasis on tank battles or just really cool scenes with them or armored fighting vehicles? 

Try Venus Wars.

I've apparently been on a Gundam kick lately. Enjoying IBO overall, but it's been pretty frustrating for this 1/2 season.

Last week I binged MSG: The Origin, which was cool and fun - but the CG mobile suits were a little weird.

After that, I had the urge to go way back; and I found 0079 streaming online. Watched the first episode of that last night.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:29 AM, Focslain said:

Currently going thru the Legend of Galatic Heroes OVA, I already did the epic 110 ep tv series and loved it.

I was watching LoGH on Youtube whetn suddenly all episodes on all channels suddenly got pulled. I was at episode 60, so right in the thick of things...  Does anyone know if there is some activity related to licensing, due to the snuffing of YT vids?

Any suggestions on where I can finish off the series without going to shady streaming sites?

On 3/9/2017 at 9:04 PM, slide said:

I initially thought of this series to answer the question, but then remembered that Edelweiss was only relevant for a few episodes before the focus turned more towards the characters. Great series to watch, though! I loved how they spent some time humanizing the enemy leaders. It was nice to know a bit of background of the guys on the other side of the battle lines.

I'm considering dropping Masamune-kun's Revenge. The story just introduces more plot devices to stretch out the story. Just when you think the MC is about to succeed, divine intervention. Getting tired of the stalling.

Konosuba 2 just keeps on delivering the chuckles! I'm glad to see it's getting a lot of recognition this season. It was certainly a sleeper hit last year.

Next season is around the corner. I see Attack on Titan 2 is on deck, but not as excited about it as most people. I just didn't like the constant despair and failure of the first season. Great idea for a story and very entertaining action. I just want there to be some kind of victory moment every few episodes. Is that too much to ask?? :p 

Really looking forward to Zero kara Hajimero Mahou no Sho. Looks like it will have a bit of everything I like to see in a series. What are you guys looking forward to seeing?

6 minutes ago, frothymug said:

I was watching LoGH on Youtube whetn suddenly all episodes on all channels suddenly got pulled. I was at episode 60, so right in the thick of things...  Does anyone know if there is some activity related to licensing, due to the snuffing of YT vids?

It's been licensed: 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-higurashi-anime/.89987

Has anyone heard of Demi-chan wa Kataritai ("Interviews with Monster Girls" I guess)? Some random clips showed up on my Youtube feed for whatever reason, and it seems like a cute anime, with a sensible protagonist and story rather than the prototypical high school harem show.

Also, I keep hearing Madoka recommended, so I'll probably check that out. Any other reccs?

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Has anyone heard of Demi-chan wa Kataritai ("Interviews with Monster Girls" I guess)? Some random clips showed up on my Youtube feed for whatever reason, and it seems like a cute anime, with a sensible protagonist and story rather than the prototypical high school harem show.

Also, I keep hearing Madoka recommended, so I'll probably check that out. Any other reccs?

+1

http://www.crunchyroll.com/interviews-with-monster-girls

So Crunchyroll is streaming the series. Watched the first two episodes. Will watch more. Turns out it's a slice of life show, which puts some people off. Me, I don't watch much anime anymore anyhow, so I haven't developed the appropriate distaste, I suppose.

It puts an interesting twist on the "supernatural high school" setting by making the characters more or less "normal," with their respective monster personas being mutations with ill-understood physiological effects. So the myth that vampires hate garlic is actually that garlic overstimulates vampires, which is why most avoid it, and so on. The series vampire happens to enjoy the rush she gets from eating it. It's a bit like X-Men in that you can see some social commentary in between the lines, but it's perhaps not quite so heavy-handed about it. The slice of life far outweighs the supernatural elements. (EDIT 2: Actually, there's quite a lot of clever, creative depiction of mental illness here without stigmatizing mental illness. I'm really liking this.)

There's some of the usual trope-y tropes that go with the genre, but for the most part, the show keeps characters on an even keel.

The dullahan character is probably my favorite so far. She's a cutie, and she has a crush on the main character that isn't played for creepy wish fulfillment. I remember reading one manga, I forget the name of it now, where a teacher-elementary student romance is the main plot and not done very well at all (with gratuitous loli fanservice as well, which... egh), and I remember constantly hoping it would play out more like it does here. I think it was controversial enough that its English localization was scrapped after the publishers saw some of the later chapters. She gets one of the trope-y tropes - this one's of the "she has big boobs and sensei hugs her and overreacts when he realizes what she's packing" variety - but so far it's been a one-off gag and hopefully doesn't get more focus than that.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far. Here's a clip:

EDIT:

Ten seconds into episode 5 and BAM explicit (but not graphic) suicide imagery. That sure threw me for a loop. Sheesh.

Edited by kajnrig

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, frothymug said:

Any suggestions on where I can finish off the series without going to shady streaming sites?

Really looking forward to Zero kara Hajimero Mahou no Sho. Looks like it will have a bit of everything I like to see in a series. What are you guys looking forward to seeing?

I was watching the series on Kissanime, generally it's a fall back if a series is not on Netflix, Hulu or Crunchyroll.

Nice to see that it was licenced, I'll be adding LoGH to my slowly increasing purchasing list.

I really hated having to use kissanime for a while, but then funimation has had so many load issues that if I want to see a dub show that's where I go. I still prefer using crunchyroll or Netflix or even Amazon video, but sometimes I want something in the background.

On 14/03/2017 at 9:19 PM, Big s said:

I'm glad sentai licensed that show. I always kinda feel bad watching things for free and sentai is usually affordable.

Problem is that they licensed it an age almost 2 years ago and have made absolutely no movement on it yet. It's almost as if they were squatting on the license for some reason.

I hope the pulling of LOGH from YouTube might be an indication that they are finally ready to do something. It's been really frustrating waiting for news on such an important property. At least we've had Haikasoru start their release of the novels. We're up to number 3 now.

8 hours ago, Marzan said:

Problem is that they licensed it an age almost 2 years ago and have made absolutely no movement on it yet. It's almost as if they were squatting on the license for some reason.

They did that crap all the time when they were ADV, and bankruptcy shell games changed nothing but the sign over the door. They buy licenses up and then sit on them just to prevent  other companies from getting the shows. They are scum.

14 hours ago, JB0 said:

They did that crap all the time when they were ADV, and bankruptcy shell games changed nothing but the sign over the door. They buy licenses up and then sit on them just to prevent  other companies from getting the shows. They are scum.

They should include language in these deals to make sure this doesn't happen. A kind of use it or lose it clause.

Just finished watching the first Space Adventure Cobra film. Man they did good anime films in the 80's. It must have been awesome to see this stuff in the cinema back in the day.