What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I finally watched the Ideon films. A Contact is just a recap of most of the series and Be Invoked which starts off at the end of the series.

Be Invoked was truly grand and epic in scale.

Big on ideas like karma, rebirth and definitely influenced by Childhoods End. Since I knew of it's reputation as one the most clear examples of Tomino's 'kill em all' phase I was not surprised at the death toll, but seeing a little girl being decapitated and a pregnant woman being shot in the face was still very unexpected. Having said, it has one the most uplifting endings I've ever seen, which I find hard to explain but there it is.

You can really see the influence Ideon had on Evangelion in the Be Invoked movie. I personally didn't find the ending uplifting at all, but YMMV and all that.

You can really see the influence Ideon had on Evangelion in the Be Invoked movie. I personally didn't find the ending uplifting at all, but YMMV and all that.

There are definitely a lot of similarities

specially with End of Evangelion. About the uplifting bit, well yeah everyone dies, but they are all reborn in a higher plane of existence. This includes even some of the 'warlike' adults who I didn't expect to be reborn in this new phase. I just didn't think there would be so much focus on the rebirth of the characters so at least to me it felt like a reasonably happy ending, Specially after the carnage seen before

Finished Linebarrels, overall it got better. It wasn't the greatest series I've ever seen, but it was enjoyable enough.

Decided to start watching Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z Hen. Mazinger and some of those other really famous Super Robot shows were before my time but I've really come to love some of the older designs. So it seemed like a decent place to start. It started off almost totally incoherent, the first episode is basically a flash forward to the finale, but it jumps all over the place and you have no clue what's happening. The show has been enjoyable since and so far I'm digging it.

Depending on how I'm feeling towards anime/mecha anime when Mazinger is over, I may start the much needed rewatch of G-Gundam.

I've never seen the connection between Eva and Ideon except for dealing with a theme of destruction and rebirth. Afaik interviews I've read with Anno he cited Go Nagai's Devilman and Mazinger Z as his main inspiration.

I've never seen the connection between Eva and Ideon except for dealing with a theme of destruction and rebirth. Afaik interviews I've read with Anno he cited Go Nagai's Devilman and Mazinger Z as his main inspiration.

The Ultraman influence is pretty dang obvious too.

Let's not forget the Nausicaa influence on Evangelion too. All in all, I think Evangelion was pretty original I can't really say one series or film was a much bigger influence than another on it.

Picked up Kids on the Slope and it just reinforced my love for Watanabe and Yoko Kanno. The characters, the music and the animation are all top notch.

Ooh and the last episode of Fate Zero was really good

the dialogue Kiritsugu has with Natasha before shooting down her plane and his breakdown after the deed made for some powerful viewing.

Getting ready to watch Crest of the Stars series for the first time.

Despite the somewhat dated animation and character designs, it's a great space opera with a fantastic setting and a interesting story. One of my favourites. Hope you enjoy it too.

Just ordered Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

Not as great as the OVA, but still fun. Might also want to check out Burst Angel if you enjoy it.

As for me, just inished re-watching Read or Die after some years, and started ROD The TV again.

Edited by Keith

BGC2040 ran for 26 episodes, that's two 13 episode seasons. Its full run IIRC.

EDIT: the original BGC got cut down early, and then the same with its sequel Crash.

Actually, 2040 was 24 TV episodes, with the last 2 episodes being released direct to DVD. As for the original BGC, it didn't have budget problems, it had a major staff fallout.

That must be what I heard

The way I heard it was that someone leaked that Priss was going to tie and be replaced with Vision. There was a fan outcry, and either the studiio forced a change, or someone on the staff forced a change. This resulted in Priss surviving Largo's attack, and vision being a one off character instead of a replacement. Scoop Chase was a cool episode, but clearly didn't have the heart that the earlier parts of the series had, so it looks like they called it a day.

As for Crash, that was probably an attempt to revive the series with the leftover staff, but clearly didn't work out either. I've always found it interesting since 2040 seems far more influenced by Crash than Crisis. This is why I brought up Burst Angel, since it's far more Crisis than 2040 was.

Currently watching Maison Ikkoku from beginning to end (up to episode 54 after 3 weekends of marathoning). I love the attention to detail in every episode. The way mundane and everyday things from Japanese domestic and city life in the 1980s (and today, a lot hasn't changed in Japan since the '80s) are lovingly rendered in realistic detail. From the kitchy interiors of a "snack bar" to rice cookers to instant noodles to vending machines with the prices clearly visible (with stagflation in Japan, even they haven't changed much!!)

I'm not really familiar with recent anime but I get the feeling that creators wouldn't put the same minute attention to detail for the sake of detail into productions today? Smaller budgets I guess?

Please nobody spoil the end of Maison Ikkoku for me!

Edited by Bounty Hunter

Alright guys, how lucky are you feeling? Funimation apparently just announced via a podcast that they've licensed a "pretty sweet" series from 2007 that no would expect them to have.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?11608-FUNimation-plans-to-announce-a-quot-pretty-sweet-quot-quot-5-year-quot-old-license

Cross your fingers!

Alright guys, how lucky are you feeling? Funimation apparently just announced via a podcast that they've licensed a "pretty sweet" series from 2007 that no would expect them to have.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?11608-FUNimation-plans-to-announce-a-quot-pretty-sweet-quot-quot-5-year-quot-old-license

Cross your fingers!

Didn't Frontier air in 2008 not 2007? If its Macross it will most likely be Zero. My guesses would be GR Giant Robo, Reideen, sky girls, or Dancouga Nova.

http://www.fandompos...uot-old-license

Cross your fingers!

Does this mean a dubbed version as well?

If that's actually what it is, then yeah, they'd probably dub it.

The only reason to re-watch Fronteir... that is if they get the cast right.

Edited by Omegablue

This is why I brought up Burst Angel, since it's far more Crisis than 2040 was.

Burst Angel did a good job of using the original Bubblegum Crisis's formula for their story.

Sei = Sylia

Jo = Priss

Meg = Linna

Amy = Nene

Kyohei = Mackie

And the useless R.A.P.T. police = the incompetent ADP Police.

http://www.fandompos...uot-old-license

Cross your fingers!

It's so very unlikely that if it was to be the case I'd pierce the heavens with my screams of joy.

Let's prepare to be underwhelmed.

The way I heard it was that someone leaked that Priss was going to tie and be replaced with Vision. There was a fan outcry, and either the studiio forced a change, or someone on the staff forced a change. This resulted in Priss surviving Largo's attack, and vision being a one off character instead of a replacement. Scoop Chase was a cool episode, but clearly didn't have the heart that the earlier parts of the series had, so it looks like they called it a day.

As for Crash, that was probably an attempt to revive the series with the leftover staff, but clearly didn't work out either. I've always found it interesting since 2040 seems far more influenced by Crash than Crisis. This is why I brought up Burst Angel, since it's far more Crisis than 2040 was.

Might look into the Burst Angel,, I was reading on it and I wanted to become a chef at one time too :p

Burst angel was pure eyecandy.

Is it bad that I can say I liked the show and characters, but can't recall a damn thing about the plot?

Anyways I finished the first season of Crest of the Stars. They really make it hard to like the Abh. Yeah the United Mankind fabricated a means to start a war with the Abh(something I think the other members of the four nation treaty might not know), but so far I have seen nothing but examples arrogance, corruption, heavy handedness, and just plain aggression, on behalf of the Abh.

What really gets me is during one of the historical commentaries at the begining of an episode use a sick man at he side of the road allegory to compare the Abh and the United Mankind. The Abh goes and gets help, but the UM gives a lecture on what the man should do then just leaves. We get to see the exact opposite in practice though. The Abh show up at Jinto's planet, tell everyone they are taking over, then state that ruling them is beneath having an Abh do so pick a leader among yourselves. Lafiel makes it clear the Abh could care less about the people they rule, and are only interested in the territory and trade routes they can aquire.

The lack of freedom also bothers me. When a character states that his group wants a ship to explore and trade on their own she reacts like he offered to pay for sex from her, and flat out states it could never happen and is non negotiable. Then there's the fact that if you become an Abh citizen you generally don't get treated differently, but should you want a kid it will get genetically modified to a pure Abh wether you want that or not.