What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Some of those gundam shows can get over the top with the crazy why character moments. But so far thunderbolt makes more sense than most others. Most of the ova series are fairly sane, but the other stuff is where you question the writers mental state.

I'm really into the knights of sidonia look for anime. The new movie blame on Netflix is basically the same style.   I watch berserk not because it looks the best but I am a loyal guts fan. The new episodes do lack something the original 90's run of berserk had 90's animation and all. 

19 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

I'm really into the knights of sidonia look for anime. The new movie blame on Netflix is basically the same style.

Knights of Sidonia and Blame! were drawn by the same mangaka so they would have the same style. I don't like the harem elements in Sidonia but I like the over-all story, the music is also good. But as manga I like Blame! better.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the first episode of Knights and Magic. Maybe it was Magic and Knights, now I'm confused. Anyway whichever way that title is, it's a kinda a fun one even though it's a lot of the same kind of anime that's going around. The main character is a bit interesting to me due to the fact that he loves gundam style kits in our world and gets reborn in another world that has real mecha. He seems to love customization and is totally in heaven seeing his fantasy is now an attainable  reality.

1 minute ago, Big s said:

Just saw the first episode of Knights and Magic. Maybe it was Magic and Knights, now I'm confused. Anyway whichever way that title is, it's a kinda a fun one even though it's a lot of the same kind of anime that's going around. The main character is a bit interesting to me due to the fact that he loves gundam style kits in our world and gets reborn in another world that has real mecha. He seems to love customization and is totally in heaven seeing his fantasy is now an attainable  reality.

The thing with anime is, after watching too much, you kinda got used to see fairly common or the same kind of anime but will still watch it provided that you really like the execution.

Also watch Katsugeki Touken Ranbu, anything ufotable gets my attention. Will still see until episode 3 if it is any good.

I'm not too crazy about this season so far. The titles that I found intriguing I can for the most part not watch. Amazon and Netflix are beginning to use their economic might to snap up the best shows. The former for some baffling reason, gets worldwide rights outside Japan and then only offers Anime Strike in North America. And Netflix insists on its binge watching model which is not as much fun as weekly simulcasts IMO (I like seeing an episode and then discuss it with others and speculate on what is to come).

To top it off there's a couple of new actors on the anime streaming scene like Hi Dive and Wakanim. Things can suddenly get very expensive as an anime viewer.

I agree with the assessment that there's really nothing going on this summer season. I may suspend my CR sub until fall.

Mother's Basement on YouTube made an interesting video that pretty much confirmed my worst fears about Amazon entering into the anime market. I already pay for Netflix and CR. I sure as hell am not going to spend MORE on Anime Strike. I already pay for Amazon Prime. I think they should include their anime service for that kind of loyalty. With all the good shows split among so many providers, many shows are not going to reach their popularity potential because they're all behind unique pay walls. This sucks...

This is, in a nutshell, the problem with subscription services. I could totally see myself paying to watch stuff "a la carte"(the old pay-per-view/Blockbuster model), but that's apparently not profitable enough.

Particularly as I don't watch a huge amount of stuff. The binge-viewing model that makes a subscription a reasonable proposition is completely foreign to me.

I'm not a fan of Amazon tacking on a separate payment to watch anime. I already have prime and it does have some shows I need to catch up on, but paying more to add to an existing subscription  is kinda mean. I do like crunchyroll, because they do have some older shows I didn't get around to or some that I love to rewatch during the season downtime.

There's suddenly too many providers for what is still, a relatively niche product. There are simply not that many big and interesting series, and this will drive licensing prices up, way up. 

My fear is that Crunchyroll, that has the most dedicated and anime savvy platform, will be unable to compete against the Amazon's and Netflix of this world. Amazon anime offerings are constantly delayed or disappear from their site for days on end. And when I contact their customer service I just get generic BS.

If this keeps up, the fansubbers might make a return (they're virtually non-existent right now).

Yes, this was a concept discussed in the video I referenced in my last post. This trend will encourage more people to simply watch bootlegged fansubs, instead of paying a subscription fee. That fee, in part, goes to the production studios so they can continue to create new content.

So I broke down and got the a sub to Funimation. Wanted a few good series to listen and paint to and that means dubs.

Watched Akito the Exile (Code Geass), was entertaining. Considering how good Sasaiku is in the Lancelot I wonder how more badass he be in a Wyvern, those things can move.

Started up Joker Game, it's turning into a neat spy series.

Also took a sampling of the Tanya dub, they did good work on the selection.

On the point of multiple streaming series, personally I'm doing Funimation and Netflix. Combined with my house mates we have those plus Hulu, Amazon (not strike) and crunchyroll. So other then tapping Sentiworks service (hiDive iirc?) we have a good coverage. But this is getting a bit like cable, which is ironic since I didn't want cable because of lack of content I wanted.

9 hours ago, Focslain said:

But this is getting a bit like cable, which is ironic since I didn't want cable because of lack of content I wanted.

Except there was only one cable bill. Now EVERYONE wants to bill you.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:50 AM, JB0 said:

Except there was only one cable bill. Now EVERYONE wants to bill you.

This. I have 4 subscriptions right now and it's just too much. I'm going to quit Crunchyroll because the shows they have available in Europe this season are simply not worth it.

Just saw Blame on Netflix.  The 3d animation is the best I have seen in matching the hand drawn anime style, not nearly so washed out looking as Knights of Sidonia or Ajinn.  The Dub cast is mostly excellent and the technical side of it is very very well done.  The story and characterization needs massive work however, as someone I know use to say "There was no there, there"  You would think that with a title like Blame there would be someone guilty of something, or at least blamed for something - maybe that was left on the cutting room floor since a couple characters could fill the bill with a bit more background filled in.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Just saw Blame on Netflix.  The 3d animation is the best I have seen in matching the hand drawn anime style, not nearly so washed out looking as Knights of Sidonia or Ajinn.  The Dub cast is mostly excellent and the technical side of it is very very well done.  The story and characterization needs massive work however, as someone I know use to say "There was no there, there"  You would think that with a title like Blame there would be someone guilty of something, or at least blamed for something - maybe that was left on the cutting room floor since a couple characters could fill the bill with a bit more background filled in.

Blame! is engrish for buramu! or "blam!" :lol:

On 8/7/2017 at 6:49 PM, Beltane70 said:

I just watched the first episode of Made In Abyss and found it to be quite intriguing. It has a bit of a Miyazaki feel to and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Chapter 2 was Amazing.

I think it's gonna be the best show of the season, there a lot of "Shady" things around.

And that scene with the naked 12 years old little girl tied and hanging as punishment is weird as f*ck

On 7/7/2017 at 3:33 PM, Focslain said:

So I broke down and got the a sub to Funimation. Wanted a few good series to listen and paint to and that means dubs.

Watched Akito the Exile (Code Geass), was entertaining. Considering how good Sasaiku is in the Lancelot I wonder how more badass he be in a Wyvern, those things can move.

I loved the original Code Geass. Would you recommend Akito the Exiled?

8 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

No and yes.

For reasons I like Code Geass, I won't recommend it. It did get some good quality mecha action so it is still a good watch

On 2017-07-15 at 11:25 AM, Convectuoso said:

I have a hard time watching Akito the Exiled. The tone and style are just so vastly different from the regular series. The mecha scenes are more like a military mecha show are good for what they are but really clash with the style of the series.

I watched the first 4 episodes of Castlevania the other night... it's... not awful. It starts really awkward with a sort of unbelievable scene of Dracula being courted by the most progressive woman ever. They could have skipped that scene entirely and jumped right to the moment where Dracula gets very angry. It also vilifies the church in over-the-top ways that work less well than just having the church be manipulative. Like, instead of all priests being swordsmen and archers, they should have just portrayed them as getting the townspeople to do their bidding with maybe one or two priests also knowing how to use a weapon. Some of the other faults could probably just be chalked up to being homages to the video game... like huge falls, ground that has clearly been walked on by others suddenly collapsing... over and over again... etc. 

On 15/07/2017 at 6:51 AM, Gerli said:

Chapter 2 was Amazing.

I think it's gonna be the best show of the season, there a lot of "Shady" things around.

And that scene with the naked 12 years old little girl tied and hanging as punishment is weird as f*ck

Agree about Made in Abyss being the best show this season. It has film level production value, great art and a kickass setting.

Regarding your last point, I've been told by people familiar with the source material

that they've toned down the darkness/violence a lot for the anime adaption. Apparently they take their punishment seriously in that world, and things can get very gory. Will not say more

Edited by Marzan