What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

I've had Last Exile sitting on my shelf and finally getting around to watching it. Really liking it too. Bones went all out with this. The early 2000's get a lot of stick from modern anime watchers, but I really miss the ambition some of those shows had in the day.

A very good series, and you reminded me that I should get around to watching the sequel too: Ginyoku no Fam (Fam The Silver Wing).

Just finished up the new to me (2013) release of Harlock Space Pirate; probably the best 3D cgi film I've seen to date, certainly put the newest Appleseed to shame.  Far more story driven than action, though it doesn't disappoint when it comes to "battleship" battles!  I so want the latest version of the Arcadia now! Harlock's immortality/penence is explained and then given a twist. Sadly no space Wolf's (fighters).

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Last exile was fairly good. I liked a lot of the designs and found myself liking most of the characters. I have the sequel and plan on watching it with my daughter soon.

You might want to check out the sequel a bit before showing it to your daughter. It has a lot of fan service and sexualizes underage girls in a way that was very uncomfortable at least to me. "Parental dicretion is advised."

She's 19, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue, but I think I will take your advice and maybe check out the first few episodes and go from there.

She was actually the one that made me watch that odd like able Dragon Maid show.

22 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Saw Millennium Actress again for the umpteenth time. Still such a good movie. Never fails to bring me to my knees.

The death of Satoshi Kon was a massive loss for anime. Such an incredibly gifted director.

I watched Blame! yesterday without any prior knowledge of the manga. It's fun and I would love to see more--maybe a complete OVA trilogy focusing on other key manga moments. Something along the lines of Mardock Scramble ...

Spoiler

It helps that Killy wanders the city T-800 style. 

On 22/05/2017 at 0:02 AM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Yamato 2202 and Danmachi Gaiden I was always a sucker for Ais.

Ais, best girl.

13 hours ago, technoblue said:

I watched Blame! yesterday without any prior knowledge of the manga. It's fun and I would love to see more--maybe a complete OVA trilogy focusing on other key manga moments. Something along the lines of Mardock Scramble ...

Reveal hidden contents

It helps that Killy wanders the city T-800 style. 

It's already out? May I ask where you watched it?

42 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Ais, best girl.

26 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I dunno about them, but I saw my brother watching it on Netflix. (I think.)

It is indeed on Netflix, arrived last week.

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

Ais, best girl.

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

It is indeed on Netflix, arrived last week.

Yep.  Attack on Titan has beem fun too, but I must confess that I lost all willpower and read past the anime.

Bloody hell! Netflix is always spamming me with news about series I don't care to watch and when they finally have something, I have to use the search function to find it.

21 hours ago, technoblue said:

Yep.  Attack on Titan has beem fun too, but I must confess that I lost all willpower and read past the anime.

Been doing the same for years. But I've found that I've read so far past where the series is now that I forget a lot of stuff and thus I'm generally surprised when things happen. Double the enjoyment!

Finally got to watch My Name. Classic Makoto Shinkai. The same themes he has been exploring since The Place Promised in our ...Days. Very well done.

My only gripe was the music. The generic cheesy rock/pop on some pivotal scenes ruined the effect of them. It would have been much better to have no music or an instrumental track. Should have hired Yoko Kanno :p

I'm late to the game, but I finally started watching Re:Creators. Awesome! This show had me sold when I heard Hiroyuki Sawano's work blaring into my ears. He did such an amazing job on Aldnoah Zero's soundtrack and I immediately recognized his work five minutes into the first episode.

Cool premise for the show, too. Production values are top-notch. This is the same studio that did the production for A/Z too, right?

I made a prediction to myself about this show's overall theme during the 2nd episode:

Spoiler

Re:Creators is a cross-over fanfiction written in the anime's universe... or it's a dream of sorts. I have a feeling that Sato is the author. The characters mention that works of fiction exist in their world and the same thing could have happened there too. Let's just keep going with that concept and consider the possibility that the "world of the gods" they are in is also a work of fiction.

Sato will finish the creation that he has been working on for some time now and will also come to life in some way.

I'm through episode 4 at this point. Looking forward to more.

Oh, I also caught Blame! and Gantz:0 recently. Blame was decent. Gantz:0 was pretty damn good, imo. The animation was super high detailed and was very exciting to watch. Totally recommend.

Edited by frothymug

On 01/06/2017 at 10:33 PM, frothymug said:

I'm late to the game, but I finally started watching Re:Creators. Awesome! This show had me sold when I heard Hiroyuki Sawano's work blaring into my ears. He did such an amazing job on Aldnoah Zero's soundtrack and I immediately recognized his work five minutes into the first episode.

Cool premise for the show, too. Production values are top-notch. This is the same studio that did the production for A/Z too, right?

I made a prediction to myself about this show's overall theme during the 2nd episode:

Reveal hidden contents

Re:Creators is a cross-over fanfiction written in the anime's universe... or it's a dream of sorts. I have a feeling that Sato is the author. The characters mention that works of fiction exist in their world and the same thing could have happened there too. Let's just keep going with that concept and consider the possibility that the "world of the gods" they are in is also a work of fiction.

Sato will finish the creation that he has been working on for some time now and will also come to life in some way.

I'm through episode 4 at this point. Looking forward to more.

Oh, I also caught Blame! and Gantz:0 recently. Blame was decent. Gantz:0 was pretty damn good, imo. The animation was super high detailed and was very exciting to watch. Totally recommend.

My only beef with Re:Creators is that there's waaaaay to much expository dialogue. A brilliant premise let down by bad writing. They should let the audience work out more things by themselves. Too much talking.

Saw Blame! finally and loved every minute of it. They change a lot of stuff from the manga but not to the detriment of the story, Loved the work they did in bringing Nihei's mad vision to life.

27 minutes ago, frothymug said:

I don't even notice the exposition. Maybe I've been numbed to it after the last two episodes of AoT. :p

Why show it when you can say it?!:p

I think they're saving animation budget for the grand finale.

8 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Re-creators was a promising show but the it has been a snooze-fest recently. At one point, I actually forgot that I am watching it and only be reminded again when it was discussed here.

Dat episode 8 cliffhanger, doe

How far did you get?

Bahamut Virgin Soul is tons of fun. And boy was the last episode of Attacj in Titan chatty.

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Just watched episode 5 & 6 of Gundam Thunderbolt.

We NEED a Macross OVA in the same style.

I don't think Macross will ever move in that direction to be honest.

8 hours ago, Marzan said:

I don't think Macross will ever move in that direction to be honest.

That would be a missed opportunity to completely discount it.

Bring on some interesting Side-stories!

I still hate the music in thunderbolt, but I do have to admit that the animation is top notch. I don't really like the overly cg look of modern macross mecha and would love the change of style to look more like thunderbolt. I think it's that the cg mecha in most of Kawamori's newer anime doesn't match the look of the characters and feels out of place.

I think the problem for Macross to go towards that direction is again,  the reason why Macross is not officially seen/distributed beyond Japan.

With Gundam, Bandai/Sunrise can recoup the cost from different channel of distribution (streaming services mostly) and the kits that these show will produced will also be distributed beyond Japan.

18 hours ago, Big s said:

I still hate the music in thunderbolt, but I do have to admit that the animation is top notch. I don't really like the overly cg look of modern macross mecha and would love the change of style to look more like thunderbolt. I think it's that the cg mecha in most of Kawamori's newer anime doesn't match the look of the characters and feels out of place.

avant-guarde jazz isn't everyone's gig, but since I go into DCS, Warthunder or Elite: Dangerous jaming out to similar stuff, I dug it. the Zeon's taste in pop-music was gut-wrenching lol... 

I'm right with you on the planes/pilots dissociation... they just look so different from eachother... I noticed it in frontier, but i'm up to ep 9 of Delta and it's beginning to get to me.

It really is distracting when the characters from modern macross, or even other shows like nobunaga the fool looks so well animated but the mecha look like they belong somewhere else. It's even worse when they have scenes with both the well animated characters and the cg mecha together. Maybe if they would pick one style and stick with it, it wouldn't be so strange. I'm not a big fan of cg anime, but at least knights of sidonea didn't feel out of place in any scene.

Just now, Big s said:

It really is distracting when the characters from modern macross, or even other shows like nobunaga the fool looks so well animated but the mecha look like they belong somewhere else. It's even worse when they have scenes with both the well animated characters and the cg mecha together. Maybe if they would pick one style and stick with it, it wouldn't be so strange. I'm not a big fan of cg anime, but at least knights of sidonea didn't feel out of place in any scene.

Indeed.

I don't mind CGI or odd choices of style [Gankutsuou is one of my underground favorites, very avant-guard costume design], but as you say, consistency.

I think that for many of us, part of the attraction to anime (and manga) is the distinctive and attractive art style. CG can look good too, but when they are blended together it can be very jarring. Look for example at the currently running Berserk series (which granted has bad CG), where the contrast between both is downright disturbing.