What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Following the Gaianx.co.jp splash pages as I do, I noticed they've got a new show out, Dantalian no Shoka. It looks like one of their less deep series (This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Melody of Oblivion, Shikabane Hime), but the animation in this intro is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTTz2nKFwk

Edited by Keith

Following the Gaianx.co.jp splash pages as I do, I noticed they've got a new show out, Dantalian no Shoka. It looks like one of their less deep series (This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Melody of Oblivion, Shikabane Hime), but the animation in this intro is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTTz2nKFwk

Yeah. they're actually showing it on Crunchyroll and I was surprised to see it's a Gainax show.

Yeah. they're actually showing it on Crunchyroll and I was surprised to see it's a Gainax show.

Excellent, I'll check that out. I hope it doesn't take too long to get licensed as Funimation seems to be Gainax's #1 licensor lately..

Edited by Keith

The autumn line-up looks pretty interesting: Link

Definitely going to watch Working!!, everyone's favorite moe Calamari Geso Geso Gesoooo! :p S2 , and most excited about Fate Zero! ... in the meantime there is Carnival Phantasm for Type-Moon shananigans.

I will probably watch Gundam Age.

The autumn line-up looks pretty interesting: Link

Definitely going to watch Working!!, everyone's favorite moe Calamari Geso Geso Gesoooo! :p S2 , and most excited about Fate Zero! ... in the meantime there is Carnival Phantasm for Type-Moon shananigans.

I will probably watch Gundam Age.

A new Lupin TV series? That I'd love to see.

Now and Then is "cat smashingly" good.

ಠ_ಠ

... in the meantime there is Carnival Phantasm for Type-Moon shananigans.

That opening is kinda mesmerizing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYqNBfraifY&hd=1

Also, this:

Currently watching Blue Exorcist (Typical shonen fare, but quite good), Hanasaku Iroha, Kamisama Dolls, and Steins;Gate.

Edited by shiroikaze

Currently watching Blue Exorcist (Typical shonen fare, but quite good), Hanasaku Iroha, Kamisama Dolls, and Steins;Gate.

Read some reviews about Steins Gate and am cautiously interested. Care to share your thought on it?

I'm continuing on my Eureka 7 marathon with more ups than downs. And a cool OST.

Read some reviews about Steins Gate and am cautiously interested. Care to share your thought on it?

When I first watched it, I wasn't exactly too interested since the main character was way too oddball for me. Didn't really help either that the series started off slow too. But after awhile and some pushing from an online friend, the character and the rest of the cast started growing on me, then I started enjoying the anime.

While the basic premise seems familiar, the anime definitely has some nice twists to its story. I say you should give it a try, it's almost at the end anyway.

I can recommend Steins gate as well. The characters are hard to describe. They are anime characters live in Akihabara in the 'real world' and as such are familiar with anime concepts. So they are kind of 'real world interpretations' of anime stereotypes like tsundere, clumsy moe etc. As shiroikaze says, the story takes a while to built up. I think it works best when viewing multiple episodes. The story requires some attention from the viewer, or maybe it's just my memory getting bad from old age ;)

At the heart SG is a visual novel adaption, the anime is one of the better attempts at integrating different character arcs to a relatively seemless whole.

I can recommend Steins gate as well. The characters are hard to describe. They are anime characters live in Akihabara in the 'real world' and as such are familiar with anime concepts. So they are kind of 'real world interpretations' of anime stereotypes like tsundere, clumsy moe etc. As shiroikaze says, the story takes a while to built up. I think it works best when viewing multiple episodes. The story requires some attention from the viewer, or maybe it's just my memory getting bad from old age ;)

At the heart SG is a visual novel adaption, the anime is one of the better attempts at integrating different character arcs to a relatively seemless whole.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's at its worst when it's wearing its harem aspects on its sleave, but when the time travel and conspiracy stuff are the focus, it gets pretty good at ramping up the drama.

When I first watched it, I wasn't exactly too interested since the main character was way too oddball for me. Didn't really help either that the series started off slow too. But after awhile and some pushing from an online friend, the character and the rest of the cast started growing on me, then I started enjoying the anime.

While the basic premise seems familiar, the anime definitely has some nice twists to its story. I say you should give it a try, it's almost at the end anyway.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's at its worst when it's wearing its harem aspects on its sleave, but when the time travel and conspiracy stuff are the focus, it gets pretty good at ramping up the drama.

OK. Sounds good enough to give it a shot.

Interstella 5555 is out on bluray in October!

Yes!

And I had just bought the DVD. Oh well. It won't be the first time I have both a dvd and a bluray version.

I stuck through Claymore to the end... which was surprising considering how horrid the boy's voice is to my ears. It definitely improved a lot once we got Claire's backstory. I didn't feel satisfied with the ending though although that's par for the course with me and anime.

Now to figure out what's next...

The first 25 or so episodes of Eureka Seven is some of the very best anime I've ever seen. I highly recommend the series (even if the second half doesn't live up to the first).

Idk i thought it got better near the end.

But their holding hands and screaming which results in everything being destroyed did get annoying.

Finished watching Eureka Seven and am grateful for all those who recommended it. It is a very, very good anime, with good characters, nice story, mechanical designs and a killer OST. Having said that it does suffer a bit in the pacing department.

There's a very interesting and intense arc involving Ray and Charles halfway through as well as Renton/Eureka coming together in episode 26, after which the story slowed down again. And then there's that strange football (soccer) episode like 5 episodes from the end that feels like hopeless filler.

. But even with that, it still was some epic stuff.

Think I'll check out Utena next.

I just watched all 3 Gits SAC movies + both Oshii Gits movies. Good, but some coffee was definately required :)

Specially Ghost in Shell Innocence, huh? The older Oshii gets, the more he likes his characters to hold long, deep conversations with little animation.

That's exactly what I was talking about Marzan, it's never quite the same or as good after episode 26 or so.

I definitely liked a lot of stuff after episode 26, and I though the end was very fitting, but I'm not sure I understand why they would

introduce characters as appealing as Charles and Ray, give them such a significant interaction with Renton, and then kill them off. I know it's some kind of 'coming of age" ritual that's inspired in Gundam 0079's Amuro in the desert arc. But one never quite falls for Ramba Ral and Crowley Harmon in Gundam like one does for Ray/Charles in Eureka.

Specially Ghost in Shell Innocence, huh? The older Oshii gets, the more he likes his characters to hold long, deep conversations with little animation.

I'd actually seen Innocence (and the original) years ago, but I liked it better this time, slow yes, but I walked in already knowing that. The GitS 2.0 annoyed me to hell with all of its new red & cheap CGI. I understand he wanted it to mesh visually better with Innocence, but changing all of the green to red & adding in unnecessary CG didn't cut it. :) Yet another movie has been "Lucas'd"

I'd actually seen Innocence (and the original) years ago, but I liked it better this time, slow yes, but I walked in already knowing that. The GitS 2.0 annoyed me to hell with all of its new red & cheap CGI. I understand he wanted it to mesh visually better with Innocence, but changing all of the green to red & adding in unnecessary CG didn't cut it. :) Yet another movie has been "Lucas'd"

Speaking of the man in Skywalker Ranch have you seen his latest "special"?

http://movies.yahoo....-191605319.html

Anyway back to GITS, I really hope the 2 series get a bluray release outside Japan soon.

Just finished Shangri-La and I must say I am still in a haze as to what is going on. It takes place in the future, post Tokyo quake. However, what is with the new city Altas and the supernatural elements. The series did not explained the situation very well and the audience is left in the dark.

Then there is the carbon trading situation that puts more confusion into the mix. There are lots of fragments in this story that were not stitched together. It could have been a lot simplier if the anime was about Kuniko fighting the evil Atlas government forces. <_<

Rate it as 2 out of 5.

I just started Transformers: Headmasters(does this count as anime?). I'm rather impressed with the carnage, I'm just 3 episodes in and 3 transformers have died. I'm also surprised at wheelie growing a pair and not being anywhere near annoying as he was in the animated film and following seasons. I actually feel kinda bad for him being designated Daniel's protector while Daniel decides to go do something stupid.

After having been told by 2 very different people that my life was incomplete if I didn't watch it, I finally got around to check out Revolutionary Girl Utena. So far it feels a bit shoujo which isnt really my thing, but I can definitely appreciate the cool and original artistic designs. Hoping the story catches me soon.

Just saw the first Mardock Scramble film. I was fairly impressed with it. Great to see Hayashibara getting work and she keeps getting better with age. Also, Wakamoto as psychotic, body-part-collecting hitman is scary. That hardcore cliffhanger ending isn't to my liking, but it definitely did its job. Trying to decide if I should hold off on the novel until I've seen the second film.

I've kinda been on an anime binge lately. Over the last 2 weeks, I finished watching Angel Beats, and it's VERY GOOD. Also watched Kiddy Grade for the first time, and now watching Hell Girl, and Vandread. I've never seen these either. So far, interesting stuff.

Still watching Utena and have to say that even though it's kinda repetitive at time times, its quite good. If you like psychological stuff a la Evangelion it's definitely worth a look.

Took a break last night from it to watch Eureka Seven; Psalm of Planets. The animation and visuals are ok but the story is completely different from the series and some of the characters are unrecognizable. Stick to the series I would recommend.

Started Steins; Gate, enjoying it thus far!

... but how can they villanize the lovable particle physicists at ©SERN ???

Just finished Steins;Gate this weekend and thought it was a pretty good show. It had one of the best Chekov's Guns I've seen in a long time. I don't know how well the time travel stands up under too much thinking and the harem bits got to be a bit too much in a couple of episodes, but overall, the flaws were easily overlooked.

Also are the Patlabor movies worth picking up on blu-ray?

I don't know about Blu-Ray (not a format I support), but the movies themselves are definitely worth owning.

Edited by JELEINEN

So far at Episode 15 of Blassreiter.

What at first was a motorcycle racing show with mutant human creatures now has turned into a show with heavy mecha and mutant humans. It sure was slow in the first 13 episodes. But now, the story picks up and it is beginning to get more interesting.