What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Both seasons are pretty good, it's just too bad they never produced a 3rd, or released the Fighting Wings OVA over here. Sure it's pretty much a harem show, but it's a fun one. Better yet, you get to hear what Grace would be like if she weren't evil :)

Both seasons are pretty good, it's just too bad they never produced a 3rd, or released the Fighting Wings OVA over here. Sure it's pretty much a harem show, but it's a fun one. Better yet, you get to hear what Grace would be like if she weren't evil :)

Yeah, its been quite funny so far. What I find most surprising so far though is the stunning lack of fanservice for a what is a fairly modern TV series. I'm four chapters in and I have yet to see a a single gratuitous panty shot?

And yeah, Kikuko Inoue's voice is most pleasant to these ears :D

Yeah, its been quite funny so far. What I find most surprising so far though is the stunning lack of fanservice for a what is a fairly modern TV series. I'm four chapters in and I have yet to see a a single gratuitous panty shot?

And yeah, Kikuko Inoue's voice is most pleasant to these ears :D

The lack of fanservice is partially because the manga started back in the 80's. at least I assume that's why. Though the occasioanl drunk belldandy episode always makes up for it.

Edited by Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Fafner TV series now (I ignored the fact that all the character are the same like Gundam SEED due to it having the same character design).

I got a bad feeling that all those kids are going to die...... :unsure:

Currently I'm watching:

Denpa Onna to Seichun Otoko

Kaichou wa Maid-sama

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge

Nichijou

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai

Rewatching:

Nyan Koi

B Gata H Kei

Anohana is sooooo depressing T_T .

Just watched the show. Twice.

Instant classic.

After doing Ah My Goddess I needed a dose of mecha action so I'm rewatching the first Patlabor film.

I'd check out Votoms if you haven't already. Blue Gender recently got a re-release, so you also may want to check that out.

I wouldn't watch that if you want mecha action. For the most part only the first 10 min of the movie is mecha action. Then it goes all Law & Order type drama.

The Patlabor TV series and OVAs are far better in being "well-rounded" by giving a heavy dose of great, memorable characters as well as a good amount of mecha tossed in.

TBH, I wasn't really fond of the Patlabor movies. With each successive movie, I disliked them even more. And the last?, WXIII made me destroy the dvd for the huge waste of time and money it was.

The Patlabor TV series and OVAs are far better in being "well-rounded" by giving a heavy dose of great, memorable characters as well as a good amount of mecha tossed in.

TBH, I wasn't really fond of the Patlabor movies. With each successive movie, I disliked them even more. And the last?, WXIII made me destroy the dvd for the huge waste of time and money it was.

Only good thing I got out of watching WXIII was seeing a trailor for Mahoromatic!

I'd check out Votoms if you haven't already. Blue Gender recently got a re-release, so you also may want to check that out.

Saw Votoms ages ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Have yet to see Blue Gender so I'll look it up and might take it up then.

Yeah, the TV series and the OVA are far more enjoyable and have some of the funniest scenes I can remember. But I kinda went on Patlabor marathon last year so its still fresh on my mind. And the serious tone of the first film was exactly what I wanted this time around.

Well I can't read japanese, but MAGNOS!!!! The only super robot handi-capable with a built in wheelchair! I remember the first time I saw this at the bad anime bad panel at anime boston. It has the most convoluted transformation sequence of any super robot. Fall down tube clothes transform, land in figher plane that launches seperately from smaller robot, enter said smaller robot with fighter plane through its butt, join together with partners smaller robot to create medium robot, eject from said medium robot and wait for other modules to launch, when said modules launch grab parter and spin in circles to form belt buckle, attach to said modules and hang in air, form Magnos and wait for said medium robot to split to smaller robots from earlier to form rockets to aid flight since the big robot can't fly on its own, finally activate wheelchair since Magnos can't run for more than five minutes without burning out the leg motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtMnP147BU

Edited by renegadeleader1

That Magnos mecha reminds me of Gunbuster. But with crappy music and animation. ^_^

BTW, I just finished watching CANAAN. I still don't know how Canaan was able to get her special senses. Was she born that way or was she an military experiment sample? Anyhow, it had a lot of action and suspense. Rating 4/5.

just finished Giant Robo the day earth stood still OVA's absolutly amazing is all I can say. Not sure why it took me so long to watch this. Now I'm watching Votoms and done the first 10ish episodes and just curious does it get better please say it does because its quite a let down right now from all the great reviews its gotten.

Recently compledeted the Zeta Gundam movies which are good as a reminder of the series but no way as good and now on The Big O , halfway through the series the animation changes from cell painted to computer coloured, miss cell mecha animation.

Protip: Big O II never happened.

just finished Giant Robo the day earth stood still OVA's absolutly amazing is all I can say. Not sure why it took me so long to watch this. Now I'm watching Votoms and done the first 10ish episodes and just curious does it get better please say it does because its quite a let down right now from all the great reviews its gotten.

I think that if you don't like it by this point, you're not going to like the rest of it. I enjoyed the series, though the plotting could've used quite a bit of tightening up. For something different in the same setting, you might try switching to Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

Complete Break Blade....just finished Episode 6. Rating 4.5/5.

It is basically mobile suit type mecha fighting in a medieval times. The story is a bit slow between the main characters and at times incomplete. The Golems they used (name of the mecha units) are powered by magic. What??? Magic?? WTF???? Getting beyond that part, the fights between the Golems are pretty good in a sort of Gundam mixed with Full Metal Panic action. Fights are mostly hand-to-hand combat with some long range arrow weapons. No beam or energy weapons. The artwork is pretty good as well.

Watched Sky Crawlers last night. Have to confess that after 20 minutes I was very close to turning it off since I though the pace was too slow and the dialogue too awkward. Boy I'm glad that I didn't. There's a actually a good reason for the first half hour to feel the way it does, and the story takes some unexpected turns along the way.

The mechanical designs are really cool too and the CGI and sound are absolutely amazing. Have to say though that I did not like the minimalistic character designs at all, specially since they contrast so sharply with the rich and lush backgrounds. But all in all a good film that leaves a lot of things to think about.

I have the opposite experience! ^_^

I had "been meaning" to watch Giant Robo for about 15 years, and finally sat down to watch it a few months ago, and I found it boring as hell. I don't remember getting past the first episode. I'm not even sure where I put those DVDs now. It just feels like a chore to sit through.

Votoms, on the other hand, was really addictive, I always wanted to see what happened next, so I watched one episode a day. The first few episodes are a little slow, though, admittedly. It does get better, my favourite part of the series is when they are mercenaries in the "Kummen" jungle.

I have the opposite experience! ^_^

I had "been meaning" to watch Giant Robo for about 15 years, and finally sat down to watch it a few months ago, and I found it boring as hell. I don't remember getting past the first episode. I'm not even sure where I put those DVDs now. It just feels like a chore to sit through.

Votoms, on the other hand, was really addictive, I always wanted to see what happened next, so I watched one episode a day. The first few episodes are a little slow, though, admittedly. It does get better, my favourite part of the series is when they are mercenaries in the "Kummen" jungle.

I'm around episode 20 of VOTOMS now and its gotten much better but holy cow did the woodo city stuff have me bored out of my mind...flame shield on... worse then macross 7 pacing. I mean how many times did Chirico end up captured and rescued by his garbage collecting friends 3 or so? Keep in mind thats the first 13 episodes they repeated the same multiepisode plot with no extra plot or anything just oh... gotta find that girl...oops captured lets escape with my friends who just happen to be here too.... anyways after woodoo city and they went to the jungle episodes THIS is what I expected out of VOTOMS its intense and all the characters seem to be less irritating and the plot is moved much faster then the woodoo city garbage.

As for Giant robo it had the same problem as VOTOMS but Giant robo only had 7 episodes and only the first was boring :p Stick with it and the ending was so damn awesome I wish they made more.

What??? Magic?? WTF????

It's not really magic, no chanting or rune or anything like that. More like latent power or some kind of ESP. So basically, people there have ability to manipulate quartz crystal with their mind. And then they start making things from quartz including artificial muscles that powered the Golems. They don't even know gunpowder, all their pressure guns are powered by quartz technology. It's unique technology that blend very well with medieval setting.

As for the anime itself I feel somewhat disappointed with the ending. It lacked all the tension the manga version had. I regret reading the manga before finishing the anime. But on its own, the anime ending is pretty decent. And the animation and music still great, at least I enjoyed that.

Currently watching

AnoHana_DVD_vol_1.jpg

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

This has got to be the longest title for a TV series I've ever seen. It's a short miniseries (11 episodes), that seems a bit silly in the beginning, but before I knew it, I was drawn in and watched alomst the entire series back-to-back.

It's about a group of childhood friends, one of them dies and the friends drift apart. Years later, the ghost of the girl who dies comes back. I admit, it tugs at the heart strings a bit.

Edited by peter