What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Getting caught up on this season's new offerings...

Tonikaku Kawaii's second episode is up... and I can tell I'm actually stoked for this because I can remember all of the characters names off the bat.

Spoiler

Nasa is definitely an adolescent... it's kinda fun watching his brain make the high-speed transition from:
Turned in marriage registration -> cohabitation -> GROPE TIME
His thoughts turn lewd with a swiftness that'd leave the shinkansen feeling outmatched.  (Made funnier by the fact that he won't be allowed to act on any of 'em, broadcast standards being what they are.)

That boy's gone on a tangent about the mathematics of getting two people into a twin bed and he's not coming back.

I'm really waiting for a catch here... Tsukasa seems to really enjoy stringing Nasa along, but literally everything about their relationship makes no sense.  99% of the time Nasa's too dim or too busy overreacting to notice, but he did at least question it once which is a start towards something like an actual plot.

Nasa's constant, jarring disconnects from what he's doing to slack-jawed stereotypical virgin wonder about his situation are getting a bit old though.  There's only so many times they can do this bit and have it still be funny... and every three minutes is a bit much.  It feels more than a bit forced by the end of the episode.

There are a few cute moments near the end though, when they're sussing out honorifics now that they're husband and wife.

All in all, still interested to see where this one's going but it made precious little progress towards wherever it's headed this time around.

Akudama Drive seems interesting, episode 1 seem too busy trying to jump start introduction all the cast.

Jujutsu Kaisen - seems a good Shonen show

Kings Raid - ever since I watched rage of bahamut, I am keen to watch game adaptation as long as it is a separate timeline. Seems generic show. Will drop after 1 episode

Mahouka - episode 1 has good animation and I just reminded how I really like it's world.

I'm standing on 1 million lives - mixed vibes but will continue watching after two episodes.

Danmachi - biased as I'm reading the LN, previous season is rushed really really bad. Hope it's better now as this covers, imo, one of the best arc.

I re-watched Made in Abyss in preparation to watching the movie.  Its been three years, I vaguely remember things.  I haven't started watching anything new this season other than Mahouka.  I'm kinda waiting for the initial impressions before diving in.

I just watched the first episode of Kamisama ni Natta Hi.

For those that don't know this is the latest Anime project from Key/Visual Arts.. (Angel Beats, Charlotte.. etc)

Typical first episode,  could go either way and I am seriously hoping this doesn't go down the path of ReWrite as that anime adaptation was a dumpster fire.

19 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Watched the Made In Abyss Movie.

Most cutesy nightmare fuel ever. 

I hope the author is seeing a therapist. I also hope their therapist has a therapist.

Indeed. It's absolutely brutal, sometimes bordering on the sadistic. But the world building is so top notch and the misteries of that world so incredibly compelling that one cannot stop watching.

Gave I'm Standing on 1 Million Lives a whirl last night in a Discord watch party.

As it's an isekai series, my expectations were already pretty low so it didn't disappoint... but it definitely didn't exceed expectations either.  It's your standard-issue "summoned into a Fantasy JRPG/MMO world" story, in every respect except two: the protagonist is underpowered instead of overpowered ala KonoSuba, and he's a bit of a sociopath who seems like he's actually enjoying being repeatedly pitched headlong into life or death combat. 

It reminds me a lot of Isekai Cheat Magician and other similarly low-effort trend-followers.

I'm still grinding my way through "Cagaster of an insect cage" and although it has gotten better if Netflix somehow lost the rights to it before I finished watching I would not be upset.  A pretty bog standard anime with people turning into man eating insects.  Solid enough acting now that I have gotten past the heroine VA and a serviceable script and plot - just enough to keep watching.  Yup, hardly a ringing endorsement. 

On 10/9/2020 at 8:45 AM, Focslain said:

S1 is great, S2 is a kick in the balls. Don't get too attached to anyone, like anyone in IBO. 

I just started Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin and am enjoying it. However I was wondering about some of the other new Gundams like Iron Blooded Ophans, Thunderbolt, & CE 73 Stargazer. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

2 hours ago, treker14 said:

I just started Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin and am enjoying it. However I was wondering about some of the other new Gundams like Iron Blooded Ophans, Thunderbolt, & CE 73 Stargazer. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

IMO, Iron Blooded Orphans is hands-down the best Gundam series of the decade... it deviates enough from the standard Gundam setting and formula to feel fresh, the designs are very distinctive and striking, and the story gets away from the standard Gundam formulas for the most part.  The one problem it has it that, in the Tomino's off his meds model, it's RELENTLESSLY dark.  Do not get attached to ANYONE (well, you will anyway), because the series reaps a fearful tally.

I didn't care for Thunderbolt... it has that feel of trying way too hard about it.  It's about as grim as Iron Blooded Orphans, but it's hard to care about what happens to the cast since they're all underdeveloped caricatures who are competing to see who can be the biggest unlikable arsehole.  It's also kind of pretentious about its choice in music too.

Stargazer's a SEED series... that's all that really needs to be said about it.

Tonikaku Kawaii's kind of running out of steam as of its third episode.

They've kind of flogged the "Oh, she's my wife" non sequiturs to death and moved on to the mostly dry well that is meta commentary and dick jokes.  About half of the episode gets spent in a bathhouse, with both characters musing aloud on the many terrible anime cliches about bathhouse episodes and certain character archetypes.

I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives isn't really doing much to impress either.  

As thin as the plot is, I'm left to wonder if this is another The Misfit of Demon King Academy or The Irregular at Magic High School where a plot-critical portion of the story was left out for whatever reason.  Like, what the hell happened here that we changed gears from "standard isekai fantasy world" to "girl-on-girl locker room sexual assault"?  I feel like I've missed some crucial connection here, or the author had an anyeurism and forgot he wasn't writing eroge.  The assault victim gets added to their party too, with the predictable fussing.  The new girl's an otaku too, so hey... meta jokes.  OKAY YEAH IT GOT RAPEY AGAIN.  WTF.  How the hell does a writer boomerang back and forth between jokes and a scene implying child molestation?!  On the long list of things that are not OK, that's pretty much at the top.

I'm gonna start Jujutsu KaisenBurn the Witch, and Iwakakeru - Sport Climbing Girls tomorrow.

Just finished the first three episodes of Jujutsu Kaisen... and while it feels very familiar for some very easy-to-identify reasons, I still had quite a bit of fun with it and have to say it's my top show of the season so far.

Laying it out in plain language, Jujutsu Kaisen is a darker and more violent take on Bleach.  Yuji Itadori is basically Ichigo Kurosaki, the 15 year old high school kid who's abnormally athletic/tough and winds up dragooned into the role of fighting supernatural threats after interfering in one such fight and taking vast supernatural power into himself.  He's just a LOT less lucky about it since in his case it's curses rather than the restless dead and the power he absorbed was from an incredibly evil cursed person from 1,000 years ago.  The rest of the cast are pretty much in the same mold, being very obvious parallels to Bleach characters in appearance and personality.  

Still, the story is different enough and the presentation fresh enough that it feels almost completely different.  

1 hour ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am not so enamored by M7.  Too much reused footage.  I think Basara is an idiot.

LOL shhh, the fanboys will come running.

Most of the series is a slog,  it does have it's moments and does pickup towards the end.

Honestly I got through it once and that was enough. 

1 hour ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am not so enamored by M7.  Too much reused footage.  I think Basara is an idiot.

Macross 7 takes - no joke - about twenty episodes to actually get going properly.

The pacing sucks, but once it gets going it's reasonably engaging.

2 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Basara is, in many ways, the shows biggest problem. He's unrelatable, steals the spotlight from people with interesting character arcs going on, and is generally more of a force of nature than an actual character.

But he sings really good, so all is forgiven. BOMBA!!!!

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

Basara is, in many ways, the shows biggest problem. He's unrelatable, steals the spotlight from people with interesting character arcs going on, and is generally more of a force of nature than an actual character.

I'd say that that sounds rather like Min May, but at least she didn't jump into a cockpit to proactively engage in battle-blocking. 

I gave up on Basara after he berated himself for standing up for Mylene. As humans go Gamlin was more my kind of guy.